Owen

Parky

Owen often gets slagged on here (rightly or wrongly) for having a bad attitude. I think he has far from "gotten away lightly".

Is Owen bigger than Newcastle United?

Probably, yes.

In his own mind, I'm sure Owen is far more important than the club he plays for at any time. Note that this is the same with any player at any club. They're pretty much all self centred tossers.

With the caveat that we don't know if Owen wants away, IF he does, then he really does need to question his morals if he's prepared to leave the club after what has happened since he joined.

However, the bigger concern must surely be regarding the moron who agreed to such a release clause at those figures in the first place. It smacks of doing anything to get short term gain (ie the trophy signing, if you will) and not sparing a second thought for the long term consequences.

Hard to imagine SA sanctioning that kind of agreement, but then that assumes SA would actually have input over that side of things.

Agree with everything you've said there, but with regard to the highlighted bit, but Owen could be seen in a 'no win' situation.   If he wants away and he goes, he'll be accused of having no morals bearing in mind what's happened to him over the past 2 years.  If he stays, some journo is bound to say that he did want away but the clubs who wanted him wouldn't match the salary being paid to him by Newcastle.  Irrespective of what is the truth, he could be damned if he goes and damned if he stays.

His advisors ought to thinking up ways of putting a positive spin on this.  The simplest way would be to come out and make the statement FFS has been asking for, " I'm not going to leave Newcastle, I want to stay".

Agree with all of that MJ. I'm very dissapointed that hasn't already happenned. Shame.

Guest Sniffer

Bottom line is that Owen is too good a player for this team and, unless we really improve it over the summer, I think he may leave. It really shows how unambitious we would be to sell arguably a world class player rather than build a team around him.  Especially when he'll be sold to one of our rivals in England as it just sets that team up to improve.....in the same way that we set up manure for years selling them a goal machine like Andy Cole.

IMO, many fans on here deserve shit like this to happen when they snidely dig at the likes of Owen and then come out in support of some tosser like N'zogbia who clearly couldn't give a rat's arse. I saw his 45 minute stint at portsmouth and anybody's grandmother could have put in the shift that he did. Fucking abysmal and embarrassing lack of effort.

But then again we always have ameobi to step in for owen along with martin's if he feels like it.

Guest Hollow

Bottom line is that Owen is too good a player for this team and, unless we really improve it over the summer, I think he may leave. It really shows how unambitious we would be to sell arguably a world class player rather than build a team around him.  Especially when he'll be sold to one of our rivals in England as it just sets that team up to improve.....in the same way that we set up manure for years selling them a goal machine like Andy Cole.

IMO, many fans on here deserve s*** like this to happen when they snidely dig at the likes of Owen and then come out in support of some tosser like N'zogbia who clearly couldn't give a rat's arse. I saw his 45 minute stint at portsmouth and anybody's grandmother could have put in the shift that he did. f****** abysmal and embarrassing lack of effort.

But then again we always have ameobi to step in for owen along with martin's if he feels like it.

Why build a squad around a guy with jello in his knee? That 9m we would get for him would be well spent elsewhere, especially if we went and got some players like SA likes, that are relative unknowns.

I'll leave it all in the capable hands of Sam and trust him to do what is best by the club whether that means keeping Owen or peddling him.

I personally would sell him, get as much as we can for him or try and initiate some kind of swap deal with interested parties if they have players we need and or are interested in ourselves.

If he does stay though I can't help feeling we'll have these same discussions every week and I don't know whether a new manager (especially at Newcastle) could do with all this uncertainty, not when so much work is to be done.

Lets face it, despite being a great player (was?) he arguably falls into the more trouble than worth camp when you factor in the fact his contract is winding down with every week, decreasing his sell on value, the wages he gets, his injury record and the uncertainty as to whether he and Martins can play together.

Mind if he did stay and showed his commitment by signing a new deal, I'd be delighted and that would be the best case scenario as his goals could make all the difference.

Down to Sam though.

PS I don't think he will leave, not for another season anyway. He's no mug Owen, but he's a sensitive lad and cares about his image as much as his career, as the two go hand in hand. He'll at least hear Sam out and will no doubt be interested in the "what if" factor, as he'll not have forgotten what happened to Liverpool in Rafa's first season. What if he stayed...

exactly this.

to be honest i dont give a toss who wants to go/goes, for the first time in years we have a manager who i trust 100% and will back on every decision.

All of it, including the timing we are assured, was purely coincidental, but last Friday night at Thirsk racecourse the 6.15 Turf TV Claiming Stakes was won by a horse called Shepherds Warning. Coming at the end of week when Newcastle United's chairman Freddy Shepherd had warned Michael Owen publicly about his "loyalty" to the club, Newcastle followers may have felt that was coincidence enough. Shepherds Warning, however, was bought for £8,000 after the race and now stands in the stables in Cheshire belonging to - Michael Owen.

Article continues

"It was not intentional," said Tony Calvin yesterday, "but once it dawned on me it did raise a chuckle."

Calvin, along with Andrew Black, one of the founders of the Betfair internet gambling business, bought Shepherds Warning in the 15-minute window allowed after Claiming races, but said that it was only after he had spoken to Nicky Vaughan, the trainer based at Owen's yard near Chester, that the coincidence struck him. Owen, whose passion for racing has raised eyebrows at St James' Park, was not involved in the purchase of Shepherds Warning, said Calvin, but "he must be aware now".

The man who sold the horse, Tim Whiting of the Marco Polo restaurant in Newcastle, a season-ticket holder at St James', was slightly sceptical of that explanation. "It's the yard that claims a horse," he said, "and I did find it slightly surprising. Michael Owen operates at a completely different level price-wise on horses." Whiting owned the horse for only a month, having claimed her after a race at Beverley.

"It's pure coincidence," Calvin insisted. "I went with Michael to a Pride of Racing charity function last year and we discussed the training operation he was setting up and I then went up to see it in November.

"Andrew Black, the Betfair co-founder, has a string of horses and is acquiring more. He then places them with different trainers. We looked at Shepherds Warning - the name didn't occur to me then - and thought basically there was some improvement in it. It's a two year-old that has run four races so far, been quite busy.

"I had spoken to Nicky Vaughan at Chester races on Thursday and told him we might be buying a horse and asked him would he be willing to train it. He said yes. So we took it from there.

"I texted Michael on Sunday to say what had happened and he replied 'Fantastic news' or something like that. But Michael Owen has no direct involvement in the horse. He's just the landlord, you could say. Bearing in mind that Freddy Shepherd said Owen 'owes' Newcastle last week it is intriguing, but we didn't go looking for it. It would be quite an expensive way of making a point."

Given that £8,000 equates to half a day's pay for Owen, he is one of the few who could afford the joke. The 27-year-old owns nine racehorses and his Manor Farm development has over 160 acres. He has still not responded publicly to Shepherd's warning over loyalty. As for Shepherds Warning, she will have a rest now but may be seen next month. "We'll be keeping the name," Calvin said.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2083432,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

The way I understand it is that the clause is triggered only if we don't qualify for Europe, and only if a club in the Champions League comes in for him.

A club in Europe of any kind, i thought. Although it'd probably have to be a CL team for him to go anyway, i suppose, unless he took a gamble on Spurs or the like.

If he does eventually go, then Michael Owen will be the biggest shit bag fuck face liar in the game of football!

Total fucking disgrace if he's even looking elsewhere, after all the shit we've dealt with!

I don't know why clubs dont start putting clauses in the players contract so they can't fuck over the club that's put their trust in them!

Players have too much power, and the balance needs to be re-addressed or footie will die!

If he does eventually go, then Michael Owen will be the biggest shit bag fuck face liar in the game of football!

Total fucking disgrace if he's even looking elsewhere, after all the shit we've dealt with!

I don't know why clubs dont start putting clauses in the players contract so they can't fuck over the club that's put their trust in them!

Players have too much power, and the balance needs to be re-addressed or footie will die!

you genuinely think that all of our players give a fuk about NUFC?

:lol:

Looks like Manure arent interested... Torres and Huntelaar on their list

Arsenal, yep maybes, though im not sure i can see them shelling out £10m on him

Liverpool, wont spend £10m on him

Chelsea, possibility but cant see it.

Until Owen proves his fitness and that he can still find the back of the net, i think he'll be at NUFC.

I really don't think we should fall prey to media and speculate that much.

Imagine what if Owen does really want to stay and all these fan's comments and thoughts of him being disloyal will make him think otherwise.

Whether he stays or not depends on us fans (how much we want him) and the manager (how much Sam wants him and how much ambition does Sam has).

Speculations, lashing out at him will get us nowhere... imagine he's reading this forum as well.

As long as Owen is still our player today, make him feel as though he's at home, he's a family member to us... we care about him and we will support him.

That's about what I will say on this issue.

Regards,

Ericz

NB: Don't fall prey to the traps of media.

Not an Arsenal type player at all. Be very surprised but I guess the press just aint going to sleep properly until he has left us.

Wenger probably just said that he thinks Owen is a good player.

Wankers. We will get lots of this now... going to be a lot of slow news days for them

Classic move by Wenger.

Getting a top top player for a relatively small fee. While Chelsea will probably spend 20s of millions on Tevez and Man U might spend 30s of millions on Eto'o and Liverpool the sam on Villa, Arsenal get Owen for around £10 million.

I could definitely see this happen. Henry does a lot of his work outside of the box so it would be a great partnership. Could you imagine Owen making the types of runs he does with the players Arsenal have threading passes through to him? Scary stuff ...

The good thing about this is who we could get off of them!!!

Flamini and Bendtner plus a couple of million would be brilliant business!!!

Not an Arsenal type player at all. Be very surprised but I guess the press just aint going to sleep properly until he has left us.

Wankers. We will get lots of this now... going to be a lot of slow news days for them

Not an Arsenal player???

Look ... I know you don't want to lose him, but claiming they won't want him because he is 'not an Arsenal player' is profoundly DELUSIONAL!!!

Classic move by Wenger.

Getting a top top player for a relatively small fee. While Chelsea will probably spend 20s of millions on Tevez and Man U might spend 30s of millions on Eto'o and Liverpool the sam on Villa, Arsenal get Owen for around £10 million.

I could definitely see this happen. Henry does a lot of his work outside of the box so it would be a great partnership. Could you imagine Owen making the types of runs he does with the players Arsenal have threading passes through to him? Scary stuff ...

If we're only selling because of the release clause, I doubt we can get player exchanges involved.

BTW, his transfer fee may be low but his signing on fee and basic wage will not be.  Wenger will steer clear.  I'm pretty confident of that.

Not an Arsenal player???

Look ... I know you don't want to lose him, but claiming they won't want him because he is 'not an Arsenal player' is profoundly DELUSIONAL!!!

I agree, surely him not being an 'Arsenal' player is exactly why they might be interested in him?

The one thing lacking from Arsenals team is an out and out goal scorer - i.e. someone who does little work outside the box but can take the pressure of Henry.

I honestly think that an Arsenal with Owen, V.Persie and Henry to choose from up front would win the league next year.

Classic move by Wenger.

If we're only selling because of the release clause, I doubt we can get player exchanges involved.

BTW, his transfer fee may be low but his signing on fee and basic wage will not be.  Wenger will steer clear.  I'm pretty confident of that.

Very good point about the wages, could be a sticking point. However, considering he will cost £10 million when he really should cost £17 million they may deem it worthwhile to pay him the wages.

But I do agree with you the wages would definitely make them think long and hard about it. However, claiming Owen isn't an Arsenal player is nonsensical to me, with the runs he makes he would be lethal on that team.

Guest Gemmill

I'm fucking sick of hearing about Michael Owen tbh.  To (sort of) paraphrase Drago's trainer, "If he goes......he goes." :razz: