'Allardyce v Fergie for Viduka'

Leazes1986

It's Allardyce v Fergie for Vid

By STEVE BRENNER

May 17, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

SAM ALLARDYCE is facing a battle with Alex Ferguson to land Mark Viduka.

Middlesbrough’s Aussie ace becomes a free agent next month and is still refusing to commit his long-term future to the Riverside despite a new two-year, £40,000-a- week offer on the table.

And that has alerted Newcastle boss Allardyce and Manchester United chief Fergie, who believe the 31-year-old is the best free transfer on offer this summer.

United can guarantee the European football that Viduka craves.

But Allardyce will try to tempt him by promising that Viduka would be an integral part of his Toon revolution.

Boro boss Gareth Southgate hoped the signing of Jonathan Woodgate would convince Viduka to stay on Teesside.

And chairman Steve Gibson was so desperate for the 19-goal hitman not to leave that he made a last-ditch effort to persuade him to stay before jetting off on holiday Down Under.

Yet Viduka is holding out for a bigger club.

He does not want to relocate as his family are settled in North Yorkshire and that has ruled out moves to Portsmouth and Italian side Genoa.

Boro chief executive Keith Lamb admitted: “He is playing well enough to attract other interest and it may be that he wants to listen to the other offers.”

Allardyce, meanwhile, has already started his Toon clear-out — with Titus Bramble, Craig Moore, Oguchi Onyewu, Olivier Bernard and Pavel Srnicek all shown the door.

Big Sam will now start to rebuild his defence with Pompey’s Sol Campbell, Liverpool’s Sami Hyypia and Aston Villa’s Jlloyd Samuel all on his hitlist.

FREDDY SHEPHERD insists he is at Newcastle for good.

A Jersey-based business group had been interested in trying to buy the club from Shepherd and former chairman Sir John Hall.

Yet supremo Shepherd insisted: “None of the talks came to anything because I’m not selling.”

Guest smoggeordie

There are better Bosmans this summer than there ever have been. I hope we capitalise.

Divvn't worry, Sam is on the case ;)

Funny how if it had been Roeder/Souness buying unknown bosmans or old bosmans, we'd all be kicking off.... but cos its Allardyce, we think they will all be gems.

If Viduka has a choice between us n Manure, he'll go to Manure.

Do you think he'd get much of a look in though, or just be wheeled out to play against Brighton in the Carling Cup?

Guest smoggeordie

Do you think he'd get much of a look in though, or just be wheeled out to play against Brighton in the Carling Cup?

He wouldn't care tbh. £££'s talk, and he'd get more there.

Viduka has always came across as the type that wouldnt be bothered. Good money, champs league footy, chance of a medal, and about 20 starts in a season, vs 30 starts, no europe and good money...

Considering how Manure has shit for strikers at the moment, he'd probably get quite a few games if not start regularly.

If the season had gone 10 games longer, they'd probably have been forced to play Dong Fang Zhou for pete's sake.

Guest smoggeordie

Considering how Manure has s*** for strikers at the moment, he'd probably get quite a few games if not start regularly.

If the season had gone 10 games longer, they'd probably have been forced to play Dong Fang Zhou for pete's sake.

Leave Fergies' Dong out of this!

Funny how if it had been Roeder/Souness buying unknown bosmans or old bosmans, we'd all be kicking off.... but cos its Allardyce, we think they will all be gems.

True, but I suppose we trust Sam more to get the best out of these players.

Souness would get him and play him left wing and then question his attitude. Roeder wouldn't know what to do with him.

I am not Viduka's biggest fan but he had a good season and Boro and Sam is great at getting the best out of players. Man for Man his Bolton team were not as good as many other Premiership teams but he got consistent high quality performances out of them!

Considering how Manure has shit for strikers at the moment, he'd probably get quite a few games if not start regularly.

I was sort of working on the assumption they'd get more people in during the close season to solve their striker crisis than just said FAB, tho.

Considering how Manure has s*** for strikers at the moment, he'd probably get quite a few games if not start regularly.

I was sort of working on the assumption they'd get more people in during the close season to solve their striker crisis than just said FAB, tho.

True, but they'll probably need at least two in with the talk that they're flogging Saha or Smith... Or both.

One big-name that'll cost 'bout a billion pounds + Viduka for nowt seems a smart move.

Guest Guinness

Would certainly take Viduka on a free transfer. He was very impressive last season and could offer an alternative to the Owen/Martins partnership.

Sorry but as free transfers go this summer Ben Haim is far superior and much more needed at Newcastle than Viduka although I would take him for free as I don't think we should spend anymore on th strikerforce unless someone leaves. We have spent millions already, it's time to sort out the defence properly with quality.

I think he will fit in nicely in the Manure systam, all they've been lacking this season was a goalscorer, they had everything BUT that..but i think they have enough money to buy even better players,like Klose, Toni, Trezeguet, etc..

It's Allardyce v Fergie for Vid

By STEVE BRENNER

May 17, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

SAM ALLARDYCE is facing a battle with Alex Ferguson to land Mark Viduka.

Middlesbrough’s Aussie ace becomes a free agent next month and is still refusing to commit his long-term future to the Riverside despite a new two-year, £40,000-a- week offer on the table.

And that has alerted Newcastle boss Allardyce and Manchester United chief Fergie, who believe the 31-year-old is the best free transfer on offer this summer.

United can guarantee the European football that Viduka craves.

But Allardyce will try to tempt him by promising that Viduka would be an integral part of his Toon revolution.

Boro boss Gareth Southgate hoped the signing of Jonathan Woodgate would convince Viduka to stay on Teesside.

And chairman Steve Gibson was so desperate for the 19-goal hitman not to leave that he made a last-ditch effort to persuade him to stay before jetting off on holiday Down Under.

Yet Viduka is holding out for a bigger club.

He does not want to relocate as his family are settled in North Yorkshire and that has ruled out moves to Portsmouth and Italian side Genoa.

Boro chief executive Keith Lamb admitted: “He is playing well enough to attract other interest and it may be that he wants to listen to the other offers.”

Allardyce, meanwhile, has already started his Toon clear-out — with Titus Bramble, Craig Moore, Oguchi Onyewu, Olivier Bernard and Pavel Srnicek all shown the door.

Big Sam will now start to rebuild his defence with Pompey’s Sol Campbell, Liverpool’s Sami Hyypia and Aston Villa’s Jlloyd Samuel all on his hitlist.

FREDDY SHEPHERD insists he is at Newcastle for good.

A Jersey-based business group had been interested in trying to buy the club from Shepherd and former chairman Sir John Hall.

Yet supremo Shepherd insisted: “None of the talks came to anything because I’m not selling.”

Stopped reading after that line, who the f*** says United in an article about 2 Uniteds?

No thanks for Viduka. Me thinks this is his agent trying to pretend there is a battle over him to get a higher salary. And yes I would MUCH rather have Pizarro... who BTW is mates with Nobby.