Sol Campbell

Guest Knightrider

Look at Shevchenko. Younger than carlos and struggling to adapt to the pace of the premier league and the physical nature of the game here. I doubt if there are many 34 year olds who could do it and be productive having never played in England.

Allardyce managed to get the best out of players like Campo,Okocha,Djorkaeff,Hierro,N'Gotty when all of them were above 30

Guest Stephen927

Bixi Lizarazu.

Great player but i doubt he has won the Uefa Champions league honour for best defender 2 times.

Paulo Maldini.

20 years actually.

We are talking about LB's.Maldini is mainly CB

Roberto Carlos is too slow now, poor defensively and his attacking abilities have eluded him.

How many times did you watch him this season?

He's barely played in the Madrid games I've seen. He's not getting any younger and wouldn't adapt to the English game for a while. Bearing in mind he won't come here without decent wages. Newcastle would be a step down for him, we need players that see this club as a step up to be honest.

Agree with you about the last sentence although im sure Allardyce will motivate him and will get the best of him.I still think that Carlos will be great signing on a free if we can reduce his wage demands.

Is he really good enough defensively for us? The left back position has been troublesome for us for a while now, I honestly think we should be taking a good look at the likes of Baines who have their career ahead of them, than looking at short-term options like Carlos.

A few years ago I would have liked Carlos, but right now he looks almost certain to be leaving Madrid for Fenerbache.

Bixi Lizarazu.

Great player but i doubt he has won the Uefa Champions league honour for best defender 2 times.

Paulo Maldini.

20 years actually.

We are talking about LB's.Maldini is mainly CB

Roberto Carlos is too slow now, poor defensively and his attacking abilities have eluded him.

How many times did you watch him this season?

He's barely played in the Madrid games I've seen. He's not getting any younger and wouldn't adapt to the English game for a while. Bearing in mind he won't come here without decent wages. Newcastle would be a step down for him, we need players that see this club as a step up to be honest.

Agree with you about the last sentence although im sure Allardyce will motivate him and will get the best of him.I still think that Carlos will be great signing on a free if we can reduce his wage demands.

Is he really good enough defensively for us? The left back position has been troublesome for us for a while now, I honestly think we should be taking a good look at the likes of Baines who have their career ahead of them, than looking at short-term options like Carlos.

A few years ago I would have liked Carlos, but right now he looks almost certain to be leaving Madrid for Fenerbache.

Baines will cost at least 5-6m maybe more when Carlos is free,he is the type of signing Allardyce will make and he has enormous experience.

Guest Sniffer

So would you start ben haim and distin as first choice central defenders? Or campbell plus one of the others?

I'd rather we got the younger Ben Haim and Distin for free than spend money on Campbell.

Get all three for £3/4m. :D

Wouldn't make any assumptions about Distin's availability. Unlike our other out of contract players (Sinclair, Jordan, Beasley...), he's not left yet. And the word is that he's not that keen to go, but he's not going to stay for the sake of it unless we show some ambition. And if the takeover goes ahead, which looks almost certain...

If what he's been saying is true, I'm reasonably confident he'll be a City player next season. Then again he could have been fobbing everyone off  :laugh:

• 3 years later...

:lol:

Sol Campbell has criticised Fabio Capello for taking 'half-fit' players to South Africa instead of him. "Surely you pick people in the groove and I was," Campbell said. "Instead Capello picked a couple of half-fit players.

"I can understand if Capello was thinking 'This guy is for England's past' but then he went for a couple of players who had retired from international football.

"Not only that, Capello has gone for one centre-half [Jamie Carragher] who didn't have a very good season and another [Matthew Upson] who just missed out on relegation. It's crazy.

"I was really hurt to be overlooked. Don't you think I should be in? I do. For sure."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/17/sol-campbell-fabio-capello-england

First thing is i'd happily have the gay tag to have Sol's Mrs. She's amazing!

Second, i agree. He has been outstanding for us this second half of the season, he's fit and a much better option than Carragher, King is better on his day but we need to be able rely on them being available for the month, not 1 game.

First thing is i'd happily have the gay tag to have Sol's Mrs. She's amazing!

Second, i agree. He has been outstanding for us this second half of the season, he's fit and a much better option than Carragher, King is better on his day but we need to be able rely on them being available for the month, not 1 game.

Amazing?

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/71297499.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD9CCB4952B424607291DF052FDBF0A639B1DF4C13F9709F85B01E70F2B3269972

I am sure his decision to join Notts County at the start of the season really gave Capello the impression that Sol was determined to play at the highest level for as long as possible.

Prick.