Blades: We aren't playing in the Football League.......(until dispute is sorted)

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

SHEFFIELD United will throw the Premier League into chaos this week by refusing to join the Football League until their legal battle has been settled.

The Blades, who were relegated on the final day of the season, remain at war with the Premier League over the decision not to dock points from West Ham United.

Blades chairman Kevin McCabe insists that the Hammers were let off the hook when fined £5.5m for breaking rules over the signing of Argentinian international Carlos Tevez and should have been relegated instead of the Bramall Lane club.

Now, when the Premier League chairmen meet for the annual general meeting on Thursday, McCabe will refuse to return the club's 'share' – which is effectively a membership card for those in the top flight.

In a statement released last night, the Blades confirmed that they would not step down from the Premier League until arbitration into the Tevez affair had been concluded.

A three-man panel of lawyers, whose identities had still not been unveiled last night, are due to consider the League's decision and rule whether it was unlawful.

They may not reach their decision for a number of weeks and if they rule against the League, the Blades could be awarded hefty compensation or challenge for immediate re-instatement.

Guest TheOrder

I hope they just fuck off.. bunch of boring shit players who don't deserve to play in the premiership.. The only upside about West Ham staying up is them getting relegated..

They do have a MASSIVE point though.

Guest smoggeordie

TBF even if they do stay up, with Relegation Robson in charge, they're doomed anyway.

I hope they just f*** off.. bunch of boring s*** players who don't deserve to play in the premiership.. The only upside about West Ham staying up is them getting relegated..

Wich is?,  West Ham broke the rules, but thats now why THEY got relegated, they got relegated because they were shit and gave a fairly average peformence at best..I agree with them having a point but to refuse to play in the championship because of it is pretty stupid, I think West Ham were fined 5m and thats the end of the story..complaining now after its all too late is just desprate..

Guest TheOrder

I hope they just f*** off.. bunch of boring s*** players who don't deserve to play in the premiership.. The only upside about West Ham staying up is them getting relegated..

Wich is?,  West Ham broke the rules, but thats now why THEY got relegated, they got relegated because they were shit and gave a fairly average peformence at best..I agree with them having a point but to refuse to play in the championship because of it is pretty stupid, I think West Ham were fined 5m and thats the end of the story..complaining now after its all too late is just desprate..

They should of have a points reduction though. Thats what it boils down to. If you field unregistred players, you get points docked.

i agree with the blades.  They only went down because manu let westham win.  And westham only won because they had an illegal player on the field.

if tevez scored against charlton (dont recall) then the fairest thing would be 22 in the league next year.  with 5 relegation slots.  Watford dont deserve to be included, as they were well short of the hurdle.

However the league wont allow this, as watford would simply try a leagal challenge to be included in the party as they probably played against westham side with tevez in it also.

Scudamore should be thrown out, they (prem top brass)are clearly corrupt and were on maybe on s backhander from the egghead.  It stinks whichever way you look at it.

Guest gggg

Wich is?,  West Ham broke the rules, but thats now why THEY got relegated

Yes it is, that's exactly the point.

Everybody can see that the 5 million pound fine is a joke now they're in the premiership next year.

Sheffield is a victim of the small club syndrome. If it were Liverpool kicking up a big fuss they would've almost certainly gotten their way, like they did for the CL.

I believe West Ham deserve a point deduction as well, shame that the League clearly wants the bigger clubs to stay.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

I'm behind Sheffield Utd 100% on this.

I hope they show up the incompetent and frankly, fucking useless football authorities in this country on this issue.

I think the best thing that could be done is to give a West Ham a 10 point deduction for the coming season. The Prem league have gotten themselves in mess as they cant reinstate Sheffield Utd and relegate West Ham as that will cause all sorts of legal problems. They also can't have an enlarged Premiership.

Sheffield would probably be doomed to relegation this upcoming season at any rate, but that's not the point. West Ham should be deducted points and should be relegated. I'm actually glad that Sheffield is taking a firm stance on this, because the double standard that exists in the league needs to be addressed. But it remains to be seen just how far Sheffield is willing to take this. If they refuse to play in the fizzy-pop league next season, what would become of them?

Got a massive amount of sympathy with Sheffield UNITED over the whole issue but I can't help but think that by doing this, they're going to antagonise the Premier League even more. They'll just dig their heels further in and refuse to reverse the decision purely out of principle.

Still think west Ham should have had points docked but, as Dave says, they left it far, far too late to decide the punishment. 

Guest Magpiecn

The league want money,Westham shoud be deducted next season.But I dont have sympathy with Sheffield.If they had won Wigan at home,they would prepare for new premiership now.

But the only reason they finished 3rd bottom was because a player who shouldn't have been playing scored crucial goals to put them there.

Exactly.

The whole Tevez/Mascherano thing stank at the time. Should have been investigated and dealt with straight away.

Guest Steven_MB

Wich is?,  West Ham broke the rules, but thats now why THEY got relegated, they got relegated because they were s*** and gave a fairly average peformence at best..I agree with them having a point but to refuse to play in the championship because of it is pretty stupid, I think West Ham were fined 5m and thats the end of the story..complaining now after its all too late is just desprate..

They should of have a points reduction though. Thats what it boils down to. If you field unregistred players, you get points docked.

He wasn't unregistered, simply ownership was illegal.

Which prevents a player from being registered, as it's against the rules.

The rules are quite clear (look what happened to AFC Wimbledon). If you field a player who hasn't been registered correctly, you shall be docked the points gained in any games in which the affected players played.

While it's true that the new owners of West Ham are hardly responsible for the sins of the previous ones, why the hell should Sheffield Utd. pay the price?

West Ham should have been deducted points, and they would have gone down.

Which prevents a player from being registered, as it's against the rules.

The rules are quite clear (look what happened to AFC Wimbledon). If you field a player who hasn't been registered correctly, you shall be docked the points gained in any games in which the affected players played.

While it's true that the new owners of West Ham are hardly responsible for the sins of the previous ones, why the hell should Sheffield Utd. pay the price?

West Ham should have been deducted points, and they would have gone down.

You buy the club, you buy the liabilities as well as the assets.

If Eggheed and his chums didn't investigate hard enough then they have no right to complain when it bites them in the ass

Guest Steven_MB

they played rubbish all season and were incredibly boring, it is their fault that they went down. It's too late now for anything else. Would be so much easier if the Premier league gave punishment immediately.

You don't see liverpool fans complaining that AC milan shoudn't have been in the CL, even though they probably shouldn't have been.