Owen impressed by Big Sam

Guest NIToon

Guest alex

Same can be said of martins to be honest. Not contributing much other than goals.

Isn't that a strikers job, to score goals?

Its ok for Owen to do nothing but score goals because he is worldclass but if thats all Martins contributes he is shit.

Apparently.

Not really that clear cut though. Owen contributes more to the team as a whole than Martins imo. It's a myth Owen 'only' contributes goals. His movement is excellent and creates space for other players as well as making it easier for him to be found with a pass from a team-mate. He has an excellent touch too which means a pass to Owen with his back to goal is far more likely to retain possession than a one to Martins. Martins on the other hand can occasionally produce the sort of magic which is probably no longer in Owen's arsenal.

Guest alex

Martin's is quicker than post-injury Owens, though obviously not as good a finisher.

He is, yes. Not sure he utilises that pace as well as he could though.

Martin's is quicker than post-injury Owens, though obviously not as good a finisher.

He is, yes. Not sure he utilises that pace as well as he could though.

No he doesn't - he's a bit thick tbh. He's not in Owen's class as a pure striker but he's still quality IMO. Alongside Viduka I could see both doing well next season.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I think both Martins/Viduka and Viduka/Owen will be good Premiership partnerships.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bjb7223

SAM: I MAY HAVE TO LOSE OWEN

Now Benitez may pounce

By Brian Mcnally 10/06/2007

NEWCASTLE boss Sam Allardyce has revealed for the first time that he is powerless to prevent England striker Michael Owen leaving the club.

And Allardyce's admission that his hands are tied over a get-out clause in Owen's contract could open the door for the striker to eventually make a sentimental return to Liverpool.

Having taken advantage of a get-out clause to agree a £5.5million deal for Joey Barton from Man City, Big Sam is philosophical about losing England's most prolific scorer of recent times to a similar contractual loophole.

Advertisement

Click here to find out more!

Allardyce (below) said: "If Michael wants to leave there's nothing I can do about it if another club triggers his release clause. We are benefiting from a release clause to get Joey Barton, but could suffer because of Michael's."

Owen, now fully recovered from the cruciate injury that kept him out of football for nearly all of last season, returned to the goals trail in Estonia with his 37th strike for England.

And several Premiership outfits including Liverpool have been keeping tabs on his fitness and form. Anfield boss Rafa Benitez is now prepared to do a U-turn on a player he chose not to bid for when Newcastle paid £16m to lure him from Real Madrid in 2005.

With former Magpies striker Craig Bellamy leaving this summer, Benitez is now considering a shock move for the revitalised Owen.

However the Liverpool boss would prefer to see Owen, who has started just 13 games for Newcastle, show he has fully recovered from his injury by getting 15-20 games under his belt for the Magpies. And that would make a January move seem more likely than a summer one.

The Sunday Mirror understands that the amortisation on Owen's contract reduces his value by 25 per cent each year and that means the get-out clause would be triggered if Newcastle receive an offer in the region of £9m.

One intriguing possibility is that Liverpool could offer Bellamy in a part-exchange deal. But whether the Welshman would be welcome back in the Toon dressing room is debatable after his text rant at Alan Shearer following the 2005 FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester United.

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/football/2007/06/10/sam--i-may-have-to-lose-owen---98487-19274087/

Not adversed to a part exchange if Owen really wants to go, but I wouldnt encourage it either, much rather keep Owen, just not if he doesnt want to stay. We need players that actually want to play for us afterall.

Mind you we could probably use the money to buy Anelka..

Bellamy/Anelka.. you choose.

• 2 weeks later...

I think both Martins/Viduka and Viduka/Owen will be good Premiership partnerships.

I totally agree but i dont think martins owen will work

but how can you drop martins?

he scored 17goals in his first season in England

i think people need 2 congratulate him even though he was absolutly shocking in the last 10games

I totally agree but i dont think martins owen will work

but how can you drop martins?

he scored 17goals in his first season in England

i think people need 2 congratulate him even though he was absolutly shocking in the last 10games

Play whoever is in form. Martins will go through spells where everything is going wrong for him and it will be good for him to have some time out. Owen is a player who gets niggles and missing odd games and Viduka isn't exactly Lazarus himself so I think they will all get games.

Oh and Shola too ;)

certainly not lacking options in midfield and upfront.

God only knows what kind of formation we will play to accomodate everyone. Although I guess you would hope we would be playing the best formation to win matches, with the players fitting into that.

should probably keep this to another thread though.. oops.

Now he's staying?

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END!

Re-sign the contract without a clause or we will have this back and forth crap all summer for goodness sake ...

Owen sticking with Newcastle

George Caulkin

Newcastle United are increasingly confident that Michael Owen will remain at the club next season, a development that will provide early validation for the new regime at St James’ Park. While Manchester United and Liverpool harbour an interest in the England striker, other targets are being pursued more vigorously, allowing his present employers to plan for life with their record signing in tow.

That news will be welcomed by Sam Allardyce, the manager, as well as by supporters, whose delight at the prospect of Mike Ashley’s £133 million takeover has been tempered by speculation surrounding Owen and Obafemi Martins, his teammate. Both forwards have release clauses in their respective contracts, but it is thought unlikely that Owen’s will be triggered this summer.

United’s pursuit of the 27-year-old stretches back to the World Cup finals, when Owen suffered a serious knee injury. Liverpool rivalled Newcastle for his signature in the summer of 2005, but were not prepared to match the £16 million fee accepted by Real Madrid and it is understood that Rafael BenÍtez, the manager at Anfield, is ambivalent towards their former player.

Public discussion regarding the existence of a £9 million get-out clause infuriated Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, who called upon Owen to commit himself to the club. That declaration has not followed, although Owen has never expressed any desire to leave Tyneside and used a recent column in The Times to confirm that he had enjoyed “a good chat” with Allardyce.

Glenn Roeder’s replacement intends to transform the culture at Newcastle into a replica of the system he employed at Bolton Wanderers – where emphasis was placed on psychology, sports science and innovations in diet and fitness – and Owen has been impressed by his vision. In Mark Viduka and Joey Barton, there have already been two quality additions to the squad.

Owen’s continued presence would also be a coup for Ashley, the billionaire businessman, who has assumed control at Newcastle. Ashley’s ambitions are high and that task will be assisted by Owen’s marketing potential and talent for scoring goals. Since joining Newcastle two years ago, he has been limited to 13 starts for the club because of injury and has acknowledged that he has yet to provide value for money.

Martins could leave for £13 million, £3 million more than Roeder paid Inter Milan ten months ago. Juventus have been linked with the 22-year-old, who scored 17 goals in his first season at Newcastle, and Arsène Wenger’s admiration for the Nigeria forward may be hardened if Thierry Henry leaves Arsenal; Martins this week spoke of his desire to stay on Tyneside.

If it is not dismantled, Allardyce’s striking quartet of Owen, Martins, Viduka and Shola Ameobi should be formidable and he has taken steps to bolster the rearguard. Having missed out on Tal Ben Haim, who joined Chelsea on a free transfer, he is expected to sign David Rozehnal, 26, the Paris St-Germain defender, for about £3 million and is also monitoring Sami Hyypia, of Liverpool, and Habib Beye, of Marseilles.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article1969201.ece

Hooray! :D

If it is not dismantled, Allardyces striking quartet of Owen, Martins, Viduka and Shola Ameobi should be formidable

Quite agree.

If Owen stays I can't help but feel that Martins will go and someone like Rigters will come in. A youngster with potential. This will leave us with about an extra £12 million to play with. We aren't in Europe this year so Martins won't get many opportunities with Owen and Viduka in the first team. £60,000 a week to sit on the bench isn't good business.

Fat Fred hasn't got many things right as Chairman, but when he said he'd carry Owen to Liverpool for £9m he made a fair point. Owen is staying because no one will buy him at that price, not because he is committed. Martins buy out clause is £13m. I'd bet that has a far better chance of being activated before the season starts, though I hope not.

Who said that Allardyce will only play 2 up front (and that it'd be Owen and Viduka)?

I did  :razz:

It's no coincidence we are buying so many defenders capable of playing centre back too you know! I reckon a 3-5-2 is nailed on, particularly if Owen stays. I will actually be placing a bet on it.

- Beye, Hyypia/Rozehnal & Taylor in a back three.

- Dyer/Sagna, Barton, Diarra, Emre/Boateng & Baines in a midfield of five.

- Owen and Viduka up front.

Something along those lines is what I am expecting. Emre and Dyer could be on their way out I would imagine.

Who said that Allardyce will only play 2 up front (and that it'd be Owen and Viduka)?

It's no coincidence we are buying so many defenders capable of playing centre back too you know! I reckon a 3-5-2 is nailed on, particularly if Owen stays. I will actually be placing a bet on it.

Something along those lines is what I am expecting. Emre and Dyer could be on their way out I would imagine.

what have i missed...we've bought a centre mid and a forward and were interested in a centre half and are interested in one maybe 2 more,minmum even to play with 4 at the back.

what have i missed...we've bought a centre mid and a forward and were interested in a centre half and are interested in one maybe 2 more,minmum even to play with 4 at the back.

Just my opinion buddy so you just sit back and relax ... when it comes to fruition don't be surprised or alarmed. Just appreciate the wisdom and foresight.

todays times is reporting that owen may be here next season.................................

Newcastle United are increasingly confident that Michael Owen will remain at the club next season, a development that will provide early validation for the new regime at St James’ Park. While Manchester United and Liverpool harbour an interest in the England striker, other targets are being pursued more vigorously, allowing his present employers to plan for life with their record signing in tow.

That news will be welcomed by Sam Allardyce, the manager, as well as by supporters, whose delight at the prospect of Mike Ashley’s £133 million takeover has been tempered by speculation surrounding Owen and Obafemi Martins, his teammate. Both forwards have release clauses in their respective contracts, but it is thought unlikely that Owen’s will be triggered this summer.

United’s pursuit of the 27-year-old stretches back to the World Cup finals, when Owen suffered a serious knee injury. Liverpool rivalled Newcastle for his signature in the summer of 2005, but were not prepared to match the £16 million fee accepted by Real Madrid and it is understood that Rafael BenÍtez, the manager at Anfield, is ambivalent towards their former player.

Public discussion regarding the existence of a £9 million get-out clause infuriated Freddy Shepherd, the Newcastle chairman, who called upon Owen to commit himself to the club. That declaration has not followed, although Owen has never expressed any desire to leave Tyneside and used a recent column in The Times to confirm that he had enjoyed “a good chat” with Allardyce.

Glenn Roeder’s replacement intends to transform the culture at Newcastle into a replica of the system he employed at Bolton Wanderers – where emphasis was placed on psychology, sports science and innovations in diet and fitness – and Owen has been impressed by his vision. In Mark Viduka and Joey Barton, there have already been two quality additions to the squad.

Owen’s continued presence would also be a coup for Ashley, the billionaire businessman, who has assumed control at Newcastle. Ashley’s ambitions are high and that task will be assisted by Owen’s marketing potential and talent for scoring goals. Since joining Newcastle two years ago, he has been limited to 13 starts for the club because of injury and has acknowledged that he has yet to provide value for money.

Martins could leave for £13 million, £3 million more than Roeder paid Inter Milan ten months ago. Juventus have been linked with the 22-year-old, who scored 17 goals in his first season at Newcastle, and Arsène Wenger’s admiration for the Nigeria forward may be hardened if Thierry Henry leaves Arsenal; Martins this week spoke of his desire to stay on Tyneside.

If it is not dismantled, Allardyce’s striking quartet of Owen, Martins, Viduka and Shola Ameobi should be formidable and he has taken steps to bolster the rearguard. Having missed out on Tal Ben Haim, who joined Chelsea on a free transfer, he is expected to sign David Rozehnal, 26, the Paris St-Germain defender, for about £3 million and is also monitoring Sami Hyypia, of Liverpool, and Habib Beye, of Marseilles.

Try reading the rest of the page?

todays times is reporting that owen may be here next season.................................

Try reading the rest of the page?

thats all ican find online,why whats there ?