Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Peter Pan

FF may well be very unwell but he can still carry out business. Mike Ashley is the new owner in waiting. It is just a matter of time.

FF clearly told Sam he'd have money (I'd imagine without saying you'll have to sell first) so FF should put up as he is still in charge. If he can not/ will not he needs to move aside. MA can do what he wants with his money; there are ways & means of getting money into the club for transfers.

I've said this somewhere before but we really are in danger of making a sows ear out of a silk purse.

If Sam misses out on his reported "top transfer target" he will be seriously pissed off.

I think your missing the piont. Why should Fred put up his money when he is weeks away from being ousted all together, you have to remember this is a business and it makes no business sense for Fred to spend £5m when he is about to leave. It would be the equivalant of Branson buying a whole fleet of Boeing's for Virgin just before he is about to sell up.

Fact is while he may have promised funds the situation has now changed and those funds are not available. We have to wait for the takeover to be completed before we can do any real spending.

Stozo, you are missing the point... It's Newcastle's money not Freddy's....

FF may well be very unwell but he can still carry out business. Mike Ashley is the new owner in waiting. It is just a matter of time.

FF clearly told Sam he'd have money (I'd imagine without saying you'll have to sell first) so FF should put up as he is still in charge. If he can not/ will not he needs to move aside. MA can do what he wants with his money; there are ways & means of getting money into the club for transfers.

I've said this somewhere before but we really are in danger of making a sows ear out of a silk purse.

If Sam misses out on his reported "top transfer target" he will be seriously pissed off.

I think your missing the piont. Why should Fred put up his money when he is weeks away from being ousted all together, you have to remember this is a business and it makes no business sense for Fred to spend £5m when he is about to leave. It would be the equivalant of Branson buying a whole fleet of Boeing's for Virgin just before he is about to sell up.

Fact is while he may have promised funds the situation has now changed and those funds are not available. We have to wait for the takeover to be completed before we can do any real spending.

Stozo, you are missing the point... It's Newcastle's money not Freddy's....

Very debatable how much money Newcastle still have. 5th highest debt in the league and several consecutive financial losses.

Can't get access to SSN but is it true West Ham have bid the £5.5m too?

I've nly just put it on but there's nothing on the tickerbar.

I think SSN said something about it this morning because it was in the Mirror

Just on now, supposed to be in the Manchester evening news.

It's also according to skysports.com so not as reliable:

Skysports.com understands West Ham are ready to rival Newcastle for Joey Barton.

Barton looks set to leave Manchester City after being suspended by the club following his training ground bust-up with team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

Newcastle are believed to be in the driving seat for Barton as Sam Allardyce looks to make the midfield firebrand his first signing at St James' Park.

However, West Ham are now hoping to scupper Newcastle's bid to sign Barton by offering him the option of a move to Upton Park instead.

Both clubs are ready to activate the buy-out clause of £5.5million in Barton's City contract to hold talks with the England international.

Barton's potential move to either club all depends on Scott Parker's proposed move from Newcastle to West Ham.

Barton's agent Willie McKay admitted West Ham were monitoring the player's situation and that the midfielder is waiting to see what offers come in for him.

"I believe West Ham are interested in Joey as well as Newcastle, but everything depends on the possible transfer of Scott Parker," McKay told skysports.com

"If the clubs make an offer of £5.5million they can activate Joey's clause in his contract.

"We are now waiting on offers to come in before we take things further."

Guest Knightrider

I'll not be disappointed if Barton did go to West Ham and we kept Parker, or if they got both and we used the Parker money to sign better.

Barton has said too much (not a lot, but something..) about Allardyce and us for him to turn to West Ham now. That said, the stupid money they're throwing at people could easily sway the best of us.

Very debatable how much money Newcastle still have. 5th highest debt in the league and several consecutive financial losses.

How much Newcastle still has is debatable to a certain degree, the amount that has come out of Shepherd's shallow pockets and into the transfer kitty isn't.

Even if he wanted to as a 'good will' gesture or PR stunt, I dont think Ashley would be allowed to put money into the team yet.

Not necessarily the case - Lerner bought us Petrov before his takeover had gone through, although I guess it depends how far down the line things have gone.

How's he done, btw?

Petrov? Brilliant first two matches, crap the middle section, excellent his last few matches. Expecting much improvement next season.

How unreliable have Sky Sports news been with all of this. :knuppel2:

Very, probably. I still think they will have been tipped off by Willie the Wanker though, so there must be some truth in there.

Guest BooBoo

SSNs reliablity has plummetted in the last year or so. It used to be the case that they would only report what had actually happened. These days they're far too quick to jump the gun and assume.

Guest Petay

I think this deserves its own thread but I've not posted enough so feck it I'll stick it in here.

I want to pose the question of is signing Joey Barton moral?  Football clubs many people are quick to point out are NOT just businesses they are part of the fabric of people's lives and upbrings.  People can even use a football club to form some sort of identity, this can be especially true of Newcastle fans (in case anyone was wondering I am a one).  Because of this can we look at the signing of Barton along purely footballing lines as in he's a pretty good player?  A disciplinary record like his would prevent him holding a job in the public sector and in many private business.  For me I can't justify the signing of Barton because of this.  So lets start a debate, oh and if any clever admin type person wants to stick this in a thread on its own with a poll that would be groovy.

I think this deserves its own thread but I've not posted enough so feck it I'll stick it in here.

I want to pose the question of is signing Joey Barton moral?  Football clubs many people are quick to point out are NOT just businesses they are part of the fabric of people's lives and upbrings.  People can even use a football club to form some sort of identity, this can be especially true of Newcastle fans (in case anyone was wondering I am a one).  Because of this can we look at the signing of Barton along purely footballing lines as in he's a pretty good player?  A disciplinary record like his would prevent him holding a job in the public sector and in many private business.  For me I can't justify the signing of Barton because of this.  So lets start a debate, oh and if any clever admin type person wants to stick this in a thread on its own with a poll that would be groovy.

Very much worth its own thread, but I think we should wait until he actually signs until debating the point.

Guest khyberpass

Debated already m8...I agree with you, but opinion is split on N.O