Joey Barton completes move for £5.8m - Man City

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

I think this deserves its own thread but I've not posted enough so feck it I'll stick it in here.

I want to pose the question of is signing Joey Barton moral?  Football clubs many people are quick to point out are NOT just businesses they are part of the fabric of people's lives and upbrings.  People can even use a football club to form some sort of identity, this can be especially true of Newcastle fans (in case anyone was wondering I am a one).  Because of this can we look at the signing of Barton along purely footballing lines as in he's a pretty good player?  A disciplinary record like his would prevent him holding a job in the public sector and in many private business.  For me I can't justify the signing of Barton because of this.  So lets start a debate, oh and if any clever admin type person wants to stick this in a thread on its own with a poll that would be groovy.

Debated already m8...I agree with you, but opinion is split on N.O

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=41124.msg859338#msg859338

Guest Knightrider

I think this deserves its own thread but I've not posted enough so feck it I'll stick it in here.

I want to pose the question of is signing Joey Barton moral?  Football clubs many people are quick to point out are NOT just businesses they are part of the fabric of people's lives and upbrings.  People can even use a football club to form some sort of identity, this can be especially true of Newcastle fans (in case anyone was wondering I am a one).  Because of this can we look at the signing of Barton along purely footballing lines as in he's a pretty good player?  A disciplinary record like his would prevent him holding a job in the public sector and in many private business.  For me I can't justify the signing of Barton because of this.  So lets start a debate, oh and if any clever admin type person wants to stick this in a thread on its own with a poll that would be groovy.

Very much worth its own thread, but I think we should wait until he actually signs until debating the point.

Ooops, soz Dave.

One of the papers this morning say that West Ham are ready to offer Man City £1 million more than us for Joey Barton, but surely if we have gone in at the get out claus price of £5.5 million there is nothing that Man City can do to stop us talking to Barton, so why would West Ham offer more that £5.5 million, unless we have gone in below the claus price.

One of the papers this morning say that West Ham are ready to offer Man City £1 million more than us for Joey Barton, but surely if we have gone in at the get out claus price of £5.5 million there is nothing that Man City can do to stop us talking to Barton, so why would West Ham offer more that £5.5 million, unless we have gone in below the claus price.

If we offer the get out clause price Barton can go where he wants. WH could offer him better terms.

I think it's £1M more a year in wages...........hopefully the mercenary little shitehwawk will take the extra money and become the Hammers problem. Fingers crossed.

Guest johnson293

I am still a little confused about this West Ham interest. I thought we wouldn't let Parker go until we had got Barton so how are they going to get both?

Nah, its other way round to be honest - seems we can't/won't bid the £5.5m for Barton until Scotty completes down there - either due to financial or squad related issues.

Problem is, West Ham are throwing money round like Chelsea of old, and once they sign Parker, they may also outbid us for Barton - even if we then offer the full whack up front.

Just wish this one was sorted one way or the other, so we can move on to the next target(s).

Surely we can agree a deal with Man City then complete the payment as soon as Parker is sold to West Ham, he must be pretty much theirs already so it wouldn't be pissing City around forever.

Guest johnson293

Surely we can agree a deal with Man City then complete the payment as soon as Parker is sold to West Ham, he must be pretty much theirs already so it wouldn't be pissing City around forever.

But on the flipside - we agree a fee and terms with Barton, then the Parker deal falls through for one reason or another (maybe the delay is his medical?) - we then end up with Barton and Parker, when Parker either isn't wanted by Allardyce, or doesn't want to be here (depending what you believe).

Then, we may struggle to sell Parker, and are stuck him, and also have Barton - both on sizeable wages, but one of them not playing regularly.

Guest SwissMagpie

Barton at Newcastle is the worst kept secret in:

1) Rugby

2)WWE

3)Golf

4)Cricket

5)Football

What reason would City have to do that though? One way or another, they'll be getting £5.5m for Barton, doubt they care who it's from.

I think it's £1M more a year in wages...........hopefully the mercenary little shitehwawk will take the extra money and become the Hammers problem. Fingers crossed.

Yes its 1m per year more in wages. If we have to match that to get Barton (hopefully we won't) then we should add an extra 4-5m on the price of Parker to teach them to mess with us  O0  (they should be deperate enough by then  8)).

A fee has already been agreed though  ???   

The beauty about all fo this is that I feel comfortable that Sam will have other targets as he does have such a good knowledge of players from all over the world. So I don't think it will be a huge problem if we don't get him.

Can anyone think of any other players from the continent we might go after as an alternative to Parker and Barton? Any players who have that drive and determination in midfield, who are legitimate box-to-box players. I'm not sure there are too many players like this outside of England. I can only think of Appiah and maybe Yaya Toure at the moment, but these players would cost more than what we sell Parker for, so it wouldn't be a good business move.

Any ideas of top box-to-box midfielders for around £7 million?

Someone just posted that Key103 (Manchester version of your Metro) said that Barton isn't going to talk to Newcastle or West Ham and wants to stay here...

???

How much truth there is in any of the above remains to be seen. :hmm:

The beauty about all fo this is that I feel comfortable that Sam will have other targets as he does have such a good knowledge of players from all over the world. So I don't think it will be a huge problem if we don't get him.

Can anyone think of any other players from the continent we might go after as an alternative to Parker and Barton? Any players who have that drive and determination in midfield, who are legitimate box-to-box players. I'm not sure there are too many players like this outside of England. I can only think of Appiah and maybe Yaya Toure at the moment, but these players would cost more than what we sell Parker for, so it wouldn't be a good business move.

Any ideas of top box-to-box midfielders for around £7 million?

TBH i would not be looking on the continent. If we didn't get Barton i would be looking at one of two players, Nolan or Cahill.

Big Sam has a good knowledge of the european game but i wouldn't be spending 7m on a foreign player, simply on our past history.

Guest Matt10

SSN breaking news - "Man City give Joey Barton permisson to talk to Newcastle about possible transfer"