Big Sam a few weeks on...

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

What is everyone's thoughts on Big Sam now that he has been in charge for a few weeks, there were a few skeptics, has he impressed you? Is is work thus far better than you expected? Or were you like me, a 100% believer from the start?

What is everyone's thoughts on Big Sam now that he has been in charge for a few weeks, there were a few skeptics, has he impressed you? Is is work thus far better than you expected? Or were you like me, a 100% believer from the start?

where is the other 500 words of this post ?

where is the other 500 words of this post ?

:lol:

I had a fair idea of what he was going to do but hes definitely gone above my expectations the optimism in the board now compared to a month ago is unbelivable

I was creaming when we appointed him. But i didn't expect things to go like this.

Though, in fairness - about 30% of this uber-happiness has come from the takeover deals. But Sam has done everything better than right, so far.

Guest Darth Toon

I had faith in him from the beginning, but the way he's going about things has way exceeded my expectations so far - I think I had actually forgotten what it was like to have someone competent in charge - for the first time in years, everything being said and done by the club makes perfect sense.

Long may it continue!

:clap:

Guest Knightrider

Big Sam is a class above every manager we've employed, even KK and Sir Bobby, when it comes to detail and organisation so I'm not surprised one bit at the start he has made. If he gets the backing required and we are patient, he will get us challenging for the title within the next 3-4 years in my opinion, he is that good. For me he is as good as the others but lacks the experience they have at big clubs and winning things.

Im extremely happy with the way things seem to be going, but its kinda what I expected from him, must say I was delighted when we appointed him. I'll say again, Iv never been so happy with a managerial appointment we've made, including SBR. Really optimistic, it feels good!!!

I've always believed in him getting things done but I didn't expect him to get cracking so quickly.

With all of the rumours and takeover talk I thought the days had passed slowly but its only bloody June the 7th!

Well pleased now!

Its funny how a football club can have such an impact on my emotions but I've been through so much with Newcastle. The amount of rollercoaster games, frustration, heartache and pure joy surely isn't good for the heart!

.......but right now I feel like I've won the lottery, crazy innit. Funny old game eh :cheesy:

I was pleased with the appointment, of Sam Allardyce. Although I had doubts about signing Joey Barton at first it makes sense as long as behaves,  he is a canny good player and potentially a brilliant signing. The thing I have most been pleased about with Big Sam is his proactive approach to the transfer market. The last manager took too long to identify targets.

I'm also pleased with the confidence that is around this board and Newcastle in general, although in part that is down to the takeover as well, it was there before Ashley turned up. Keep it up Sam.  :D

Guest alex

I'm pleased but in all honesty I'll reserve judgement until I see what we're like on the pitch. Much more optimistic than I've been in a long time though.

I'm pleased but in all honesty I'll reserve judgement until I see what we're like on the pitch. Much more optimistic than I've been in a long time though.

wise

also, i'd like to see us make more progress in bolstering the backroom staff. the job advertisements could mean we've reached a dead end trying to recruit from Bolton.

Not to piss on everyones chips but so much of this wave of optimism is based on little or no end product just yet.

Hopefully these signings will come through (along with a fair few more), and hopefully Terry Mac will at some stage be joined or replaced by a considerable number of competent and proffessional backroom staff, and hopefully Ashley will follow through with the investment and expertise to wield that investment wisely, and above and beyond everything, hopefully we will see this resulting in a improvement on the pitch and start winning games and ultimately trophies.

But none of this has happend yet. So no, while I am now more confident in our future than I have been for some time, I'll wait until we are actually playing football again before I decide whether or not I want Sam's babies. :)

wise

also, i'd like to see us make more progress in bolstering the backroom staff. the job advertisements could mean we've reached a dead end trying to recruit from Bolton.

Not necessarily, it was obvious we weren't going to get all of the backroom staff. Sam's still trying to get the three most important ones (can't remember their names), the rest (such as physiotherapists and such) can still be found around the region. Have faith.

Not to piss on everyones chips but so much of this wave of optimism is based on little or no end product just yet.

Hopefully these signings will come through (along with a fair few more), and hopefully Terry Mac will at some stage be joined or replaced by a considerable number of competent and proffessional backroom staff, and hopefully Ashley will follow through with the investment and expertise to wield that investment wisely, and above and beyond everything, hopefully we will see this resulting in a improvement on the pitch and start winning games and ultimately trophies.

But none of this has happend yet. So no, while I am now more confident in our future than I have been for some time, I'll wait until we are actually playing football again before I decide whether or not I want Sam's babies. :)

Come on get in the spirit fella!

Guest Knightrider

It's based on more than that mate, for me anyway. Understand what you're getting at though.

He hasn't done much yet, he's talked a good game but then again so did Roeder when he got the job. No progress yet on his backroom staff which is a little worrying, disagreed with the signing of Barton but if we can get Viduka and Ben Haim in on frees soon I'll be a bit happier.

Come on get in the spirit fella!

:thup: :smitten:

SAM Allardyce has confirmed that he is competing with Wanderers in the battle for Tal Ben Haim's signature.

Ever since Allardyce's appointment as Newcastle manager three weeks ago there has been strong speculation that the former Bolton boss will try to tempt the Israeli defender to follow him to Tyneside. Now he has publicly stated his interest.

"I'm interested in any player of quality who wants to move on, so yes I'm interested in Tal Ben Haim," Allardyce said.

advertisement

"He's a free a free agent and hopefully available. He has three or four years of experience in the Premiership and I know him inside out. We had a good working relationship, we grew in the Premiership together and I'm very interested in working with him again."

Wanderers now know for sure that they are facing an uphill battle to keep the 25-year-old Ben Haim at the Reebok after his current contract expires at the end of this month.

Whites' chairman, Phil Gartside, has made a last-ditch bid to persuade him to stay, knowing it would cost upwards of £5m to find a defender of his calibre on the transfer market.

But Allardyce's confirmation that he wants Ben Haim to become part of his St James' Park revolution suggests it is highly unlikely that he will get the positive response he is hoping for.

The former Bolton boss, who has already raided the Reebok for head of sports science and medicine, Mark Taylor, and is also keen to take his former performance director, Mike Forde, to Newcastle, is in the middle of a whirlwind week on transfer activity.

He has already signed Joey Barton from Manchester City in a £5.5m transfer on a five-year contract believed to be worth £70,000 a week, and has an "agreement in principle" to sign Middlesbrough's out-of-contract Australian striker Mark Viduka.

He also sanctioned the £7m sale of midfielder Scott Parker to West Ham - a deal which was completed yesterday, when the former Magpies' skipper signed a five-year contract with the Hammers.

Wanderers, meanwhile, are reportedly competing with Premiership rivals, Reading and Portsmouth for the signature of Toulouse winger Fode Mansare.

Reports in France claim the 25-year-old Guinea international wants to move to the Premiership after learning that Toulouse are lining up a move for Auxerre's Ivory Coast international, Kanga Akale.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/wanderers/wanderersnews/display.var.1453947.0.allardyce_confirms_ben_haim_interest.php

The bit in bold is interesting

We need one signing at least this summer which makes everyone sit up and take notice. At the minute, we're signing/being linked with players that you expect Newcastle to be going for. Like with Ranieri when he signed the likes of Duff, Bridge & Geremi, it wasn't until he went and attracted Crespo & Makelele that we all started to see something big was about to happen there. We need a Crespo/Makelele-esque signing this summer, and then I'll really have belief we're challenging.

It's based on more than that mate, for me anyway. Understand what you're getting at though.

I know there are plenty of traits, past successes, and talk from Sam that can inspire confidence, and I have a fair amount of faith in the bloke.

But when I say end product I mean just that. It is still early days.  O0