Defensive midfielders

bodson

Agree entirely. Whenever I saw this lad play last season, which was a fair bit him being at Chelsea and all, and whether it be in midfield or at right-back he looked a touch of class for someone of his age. Very composed, very decent on the ball and didn't seem phased by anything. If there's any sort of chance of getting him here - even on loan for a season - then I'd love us to go for it. Even a loan would give us a season to try and make him "fall in love" with the place and realise he could have a big future here and it of course gives us another year to try and get up towards where Chelsea are.

He's the ideal age and he should go on to be a very, very good player. My only concern would be with his size, but Makelele has made a decent career in football and he's been of a similar build. If we're not going to be buying an Alou Diarra, Bouba Diop or an Appiah sort of player then Diarra makes perfect sense - although ideally for me we'd get Diarra plus one of the aforementioned and pedal Butt!

He's also very close to Geremi if I remember rightly, he was his "mentor" ("serving father" to be precise) at Chelsea and helped him to settle in, (dunno if anyone remembers that funny Chelsea training video where he was calling Geremi his "Daddy/Father" - it's on YouTube). This, along with him knowing the Zog, might be two major factors in our favour.

A loan deal is not a bad shout, though if the money's there I feel we can lure him here permanently with the promise of first team football. I wasn't aware of the Geremi thing, with N'Zogbia too I'd say our chances are good. If it's true he's rejected a contract offer then that suggests his head's in the right place, he wants regular football. Chelsea would be reluctant to sell to a big rival leaving us in a good position to get him, though they may charge us a bit I'd happily pay a pretty penny for this guy.

Some players you can just tell they're going to make a big impact in the game, and to see him as cool as a cucumber under pressure playing DM and RB for Chelsea and France, at the age of 21, suggests this lad has everything required to go all the way.

It's entirely possible he doesn't get on with N'Zogbia though, nobody else seems to. :lol:

Agree entirely with OML and Jan though, I'd much rather this type of signing to compete with Butt than someone like Duscher. He could learn a bit from Butt and there'd be no pressure on him to come in and play well immediately. However he'd know that once he's settled in and playing well he'd have a very good chance of starting regularly on a team that's looking to go places. Could ultimately then become a fixture in our team for years to come, I'd be thrilled if we pursued him.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Flamini has said he wants to stay.

Apparently Alou Diarra of Lyon was interested in leaving Lyon.

Steven Appiah has criticised Fenerbahce for not letting him leave (incredible player).

Toure has gone to Barca

Mavuba to Villareal.

Can't see us getting Sissoko

Diop could be a possibility.

Edmilson, no thanks.

Lassana Diarra is turning into an incredible defensive midfielder i.e. Makelele.

Iirc it said in the Chronicle that Diarra and N'Zogbia are close friends, it was in one of the articles from when we tried to get him on loan.

They both came through the Le Havre youth ranks together so they'd definitely know each other. Doesn't particularly mean they'd be mates or whatever though.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why Verlaine's thread was deleted tbh, raised a good point.

Anyway, depends on how we plan to use Geremi. All the signs seem to be pointing towards us predominantly using a 4-3-3. With Geremi AND a DM in the middle we're going to be solid against pretty much anyone, we'll certainly be no pushovers.

With a proper DM in there I think it allows Geremi to dictate the play when we have the ball, floating around and getting in possesion without having to worry about playing cautiously to protect the back 4. A deep lying playmaker basically. It's a role I previously expected we'd see Emre play if fit, but from what we've seen so far Geremi seems to be perfect for it.

Also Geremi plus a good DM in there makes us very good defensively. So I'd still like to see us get a DM in tbh, though with Smith, N'Zogbia, Emre and Barton in there we're not exactly short of guys who can get stuck in, so it's not an urgent need by any means.

It was a slag-fest. And I don't mean there were loose women posting in it.

Hadn't really read the whole thing, was mostly responding to the OP.

This forum really fucks me off at times!

Guest Verlaine

Yeah, the thread started well with my opening post, but then people just took the opportunity to have a go at me for no reason. I'm pretty much a martyr for my cause.

Yeah, the thread started well with my opening post, but then people just took the opportunity to have a go at me for no reason. I'm pretty much a martyr for my cause.

Whatever dickweazel.

You do bring it on yourself somewhat to be fair.

And, as I've outlined above, your opening post was flawed.  :razz:

Butt was fantastic today.

A three of Butt Geremi and Barton is mouth watering to say the least.

Agree, we'd be hardy as fuck and would have terrific balance in the middle of the field to boot.

Not really.

I'd say a midfield of Pirlo, Kaka and Gatusso was mouth watering, Butt, Geremi and Barton will just be a hard working trio.

Spot on. Butt/Geremi defensive, Barton/Smith/Emre attacking for the central midfield positions should do us imo.

Agree, we'd be hardy as f*** and would have terrific balance in the middle of the field to boot.

With Smith, Emre and Zobby if need be to add to that. Definatley looking strong in that department with plenty of variation. If we are to go for another DM i'd like it to be someone young and unknown who doesn't mind being a squad player.