Defensive midfielders

bodson

I suppose we can get by with Shola as Viduka's back-up (I like to believe that as I typed that a beeper went off in Northen Monkey's pocket, causing him to leap up instantly and dart to his computer which is already displaying this post)

:lol:

Nowt wrong with Shola as competition tbh. If you expect more than that, then you're asking for too much.

Suppose, I'm happy enough with Shola as back-up tbh.

Maybe bring in Torres and sell Viduka back to The Smogs for £5m. :lol:

I have not seen him play at all- But i believe that he only played one game for liverpool in preseason from what i read a while ago. He was bought from Bayern Munich by Houllier

There's about 15 Diarras roaming the French/Spanish/Italian leagues. I never know who they're on about. :lol:

Aye, Lyon had one playing for them before who they sold to Madrid last summer, can't say I remember anything about this one though.

I'm sure this was the one Houllier signed for Liverpool.

It is, but he never played a competitive game for Liverpool for some reason, strange thing is Houllier went out and signed him for Lyon. ???

It is, but he never played a competitive game for Liverpool for some reason, strange thing is Houllier went out and signed him for Lyon. ???

Did he? Or was he already there from the Le Guen side?

He signed him to replace the other Diarra who went to Madrid.

He signed him to replace the other Diarra who went to Madrid.

He did end up selling him to Lens from Liverpool for more than he paid despite him not playing. Perhaps at the time he just didn't think he was good enough to play in the Premiership.

Guest mishka17

Diarra from Lyon according to press would rather join a 'better club' than Pompey, and it is said that he will pick Newcastle, if we'll make an offer. 5mlns for him...

As you say, it's nice to be able to wonder though, rather than just know exactly what the team/formation is going to be as we did for much of last season.

Tbf, no one had a fucking clue what Roeder was gonna do next.

I'm sure there were numerous times in the season where I got the line-up and players spot-on, despite some consternation from a certain Yorkshireman at certain times. I also don't doubt that plenty of other people knew Roeder's "game" as well. It was always 4-4-2, it was always his favourites. The only real shock I can recall was the team after he left, away to Watford. He was as fucking dull in his team selection/tactics as he was in his interviews. Anything but unpredictable.

As you say, it's nice to be able to wonder though, rather than just know exactly what the team/formation is going to be as we did for much of last season.

Tbf, no one had a fucking clue what Roeder was gonna do next.

I'm sure there were numerous times in the season where I got the line-up and players spot-on, despite some consternation from a certain Yorkshireman at certain times.

Are you referring to me? ???

Aye, i was exaggerating really. It was more of a dig at the man.

Nevertheless, there were plenty of times last season (where he had choices to make) that he couldn't possibly pick Y over X, yet did.

Guest graemeh72

There's about 15 Diarras roaming the French/Spanish/Italian leagues. I never know who they're on about. :lol:

Was gonna say the same, I've completely lost track. :lol:

Just as well SBR isn't in charge

Was gonna say the same, I've completely lost track. :lol:

Just as well SBR isn't in charge

dunno,team sheet would have been easy

................DIARRA

DIARRA        DIARRA    DIARRA      DIARRA

DIARRA      DIARRA      DIARRA      DIARRA

............DIARRA      DIARRA.

unless we were playing at home against gus poyet's spurs.....

.........................DIARRA

DIARRA      DIARRA    DIARRA    DIARRA    DIARRA

.......DIARRA      DIARRA    DIARRA

...........DIARRA            DIARRA

• 4 weeks later...

Lassana Diarra has rejected Chelsea's offer of a new deal. (Sunday Mirror)

:thup:

Admittedly I've only seen him a few times but he has impressed me greatly, he's already in the senior France squad at the age of 21. This lad has a big future IMO and would already challenge Butt for a place in the team. With the arrival of Sidwell and Chelsea's packed midfield, he obviously feels he won't get the chances over there. He used to be at Le Havre with N'Zogbia. He'd be the type of ambitious but realistic player I'd like to see us go for, someone with his best days ahead of him who will grow with the team. His versatility and quality means he'd get a lot of games with us. The type of player we should be targetting IMO (except for CB where we could do with an experienced head).

Admittedly I've only seen him a few times but he has impressed me greatly, he's already in the senior France squad at the age of 21. This lad has a big future IMO and would already challenge Butt for a place in the team. With the arrival of Sidwell and Chelsea's packed midfield, he obviously feels he won't get the chances over there. He used to be at Le Havre with N'Zogbia. He'd be the type of ambitious but realistic player I'd like to see us go for, someone with his best days ahead of him who will grow with the team. His versatility and quality means he'd get a lot of games with us. The type of player we should be targetting IMO (except for CB where we could do with an experienced head).

i totally agree  O0 

Agree entirely. Whenever I saw this lad play last season, which was a fair bit him being at Chelsea and all, and whether it be in midfield or at right-back he looked a touch of class for someone of his age. Very composed, very decent on the ball and didn't seem phased by anything. If there's any sort of chance of getting him here - even on loan for a season - then I'd love us to go for it. Even a loan would give us a season to try and make him "fall in love" with the place and realise he could have a big future here and it of course gives us another year to try and get up towards where Chelsea are.

He's the ideal age and he should go on to be a very, very good player. My only concern would be with his size, but Makelele has made a decent career in football and he's been of a similar build. If we're not going to be buying an Alou Diarra, Bouba Diop or an Appiah sort of player then Diarra makes perfect sense - although ideally for me we'd get Diarra plus one of the aforementioned and pedal Butt!

He's also very close to Geremi if I remember rightly, he was his "mentor" ("serving father" to be precise) at Chelsea and helped him to settle in, (dunno if anyone remembers that funny Chelsea training video where he was calling Geremi his "Daddy/Father" - it's on YouTube). This, along with him knowing the Zog, might be two major factors in our favour.