Defensive midfielders

bodson

I havent seen that much of Fernandes, can someone tell me about him. Which players would you compare him to?

No FM info please.. ;-)

He's not an out and out DM like a Makelele, he can carry the ball forward and can pass and shoot. And for a pork and cheeser he is surprisingly stong, Viana he is not - he's reasonably big and has proved he can handle the phyiscal side of the premiership at Pompey and Everton this season.

Perfect player to partner Barton IMO.

Guest ToonGeneral

How about Alou Diarra. Apparently he wants to leave Lyon since Houllier has left and would be perfect for us. Hes got ability on the ball and the height that Sam is after.

Thiago Motta from Barca?

Very interesting idea.

Would be dirt cheap as he fell out of the Barcelona rotation due to injuries and is unsettled, but when fit he is very similar to Campo. Big, physical DM with good ability on the ball and good use of the ball.

Would be a typical Sam signing.

Papa Bouba Diop.

Suprised to hear noone else mention him. Now Coleman has gone they might not expect 20m for him. 3-4m would be my guess.

Papa Bouba Diop is soooooooo last season ...

His time has come and gone. Lot's of other up and coming DMs in the French league who we could probably get for the same money we woul spend on Papa Diop.

Papa Bouba Diop.

Suprised to hear noone else mention him. Now Coleman has gone they might not expect 20m for him. 3-4m would be my guess.

Papa Bouba Diop is soooooooo last season ...

His time has come and gone. Lot's of other up and coming DMs in the French league who we could probably get for the same money we woul spend on Papa Diop.

We can't have that attitude though. The fact that his reputation has dropped doesn't mean his talent has. For me he would be a perfect big sam signing. Has alot of qualities i would want.

It's easy enough saying there is alot of players in the french league but how many of them are proven in the premiership?

Guest nufc_geordie

The fact of the matter is that we have a top class defensive midfielder in the team already. There is no reason to replace Nicky Butt next season. He was one of the players of the season this year and he will be just as fit next year. We still need to sign players for full backs and a centre half. I would be more concerned going into the season after next without a replacement for Butt. For now lets build a first XI then worry about the squad players.

Looking at Allardyce's comments on .cock about wanting to bring height into the team I'd say he'll be looking for a big DM, maybe as back up but ideally it'll be someone better than Butt who will be moved down onto the bench.

Looking at Allardyce's comments on .cock about wanting to bring height into the team I'd say he'll be looking for a big DM, maybe as back up but ideally it'll be someone better than Butt who will be moved down onto the bench.

Emre's probably gone as well ...

Emre's probably gone as well ...

If he plays 4-3-3 then I think Emre will play regular, Allardyce likes to get the best out of a player with a bad reputation and Emre fits the bill, however if he gets the chance to bring in better then he should.

That goes for everyone.

I would love to get Tomas Galasek but I'm probably the only one.

he is getting on a bit.....34 ffs

I know it doesn't make sense but he used to be my favourite player when he was at Ajax.

Guest Steven_MB

Duscher, great for Depotivo, over many years. I think he is on a free as well, has he signed with anyone?

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

I know that this is probably against everyones ideas, but i'm a big fan of Tom Huddlestone, he's tall (over 6foot), has a hell of a shot on him, and is built like a brick s**t house, he also has youth on his side... and the possibility of Butt givin him some added experience. Doubt it Spurs would sell him though.

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

Coloccini for £2,7 would still be a bargain

never heard of him  :undecided: