Habib Beye

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is it just me or weren't Marseille a bit fragile at the back when we played them in the UEFA?

I don't remember anyone (other than Drogba) standing out for them, especially at the back?

Is my mind playing tricks?

Well we failed to score a single goal over two legs and barely even created a half-chance in the Stade Velodrome.

Didn't we maul them at home but fail to convert our chances? OR am I getting totally confused with my Uefa games?

Confused I'd say. We had a few chances but that was it. Got lucky when Drogba hit the post at St. James's Park too.

Don't remember the first game brilliantly, I just remember Drogba was brilliant but so was Woodgate. Drogba hit the post and it flashed right across an open goal with everybody's hearts in mouths. From what I remember it was a pretty even game and we were content enough with a 0-0 considering the Drogba chance.

In the second game Woodgate was injured and Drogba ran riot. We had quite a few injuries and lacked any pace but we didn't create anything of note in the whole 90 minutes. Can't comment on Beye specifically but their defence was solid over both games.

Don't remember the first game brilliantly, I just remember Drogba was brilliant but so was Woodgate. Drogba hit the post and it flashed right across an open goal with everybody's hearts in mouths. From what I remember it was a pretty even game and we were content enough with a 0-0 considering the Drogba chance.

In the second game Woodgate was injured and Drogba ran riot. We had quite a few injuries and lacked any pace but we didn't create anything of note in the whole 90 minutes. Can't comment on Beye specifically but their defence was solid over both games.

Cheers.

In my opinion Beye will play centre back for us. He will be the third of a back three with Rozenhal and Taylor. Hyypia will serve as backup and if the Gods are particularly unfavourable to us Ramage will play a backup role too.

We should have beaten them at home, we had three very good chances to score. Shola from like the corner of the six-yard box, blasted it straight at Barthez. Then Gary Speed missed an open goal from a rebound from a free-kick. Bridges shaved the post n'all.

We were never in it in the away game, though.

This guy actually made an impression on me when we played Marseille, i was very impressed, and quite annoyed with him for he was a dirty bugger and was pulling Al's shirt and barging him about all game. I remember he was strong in the air, the tackle, and was often in the right place at the right time. Just what we need and will fit into the premiership well IMO. :thup:

This guy actually made an impression on me when we played Marseille, i was very impressed, and quite annoyed with him for he was a dirty bugger and was pulling Al's shirt and barging him about all game. I remember he was strong in the air, the tackle, and was often in the right place at the right time. Just what we need and will fit into the premiership well IMO. :thup:

:lol: You've come to that conclusion having seen him in one game against a naff Newcastle side, three years ago?

:lol: You've come to that conclusion having seen him in one game against a naff Newcastle side, three years ago?

Naff Newcastle side?

Definitely not the case

From what i saw ofcourse, did i forget to add that bit?

And i wouldn't really say it's a conclusion, it's just the impression that i got from the few times that i've seen him, the last time was probably when Bolton played them in the waffa.

Naff Newcastle side?

Definitely not the case

We had half a team out injured tbh. Viana, Bridges, Hughes and Shola (who was shite back then) all played.

Naff Newcastle side?

Definitely not the case

We had half a team out injured tbh. Viana, Bridges, Hughes and Shola (who was s**** back then) all played.

What's changed? :lol:

i would try for this beye as hes a right back and we need a one

carr isnt good enough and we should sell him or keep him for when people are injured

nobby was class last season at right back but we will need a player who is a natural right back

i would try for this beye as hes a right back and we need a one

carr isnt good enough and we should sell him or keep him for when people are injured

nobby was class last season at right back but we will need a player who is a natural right back

I agree that we should sell Carr... or keep him.

Don't know enough of this Beye bloke to be plussed or non-plussed but at least he has some height about him and seems to be fairly versatile. Not exactly a spring chicken like, but probably still more pleasing than getting someone like Luke Young. I for one hope Solano isn't a first-team player next season - he was not as great at RB as people are making out, he was probably adequate but even that was a huge step-up. He did have a few very good games there though.

This is another interesting one. Along with Rozenhaal and Ben Haim, Beye was one of the first defenders linked to us since Allardyce's appointment and unlike the Smith/Bent fiasco stirred up by the Mirror, this definitely looks like our next possible signing. Slightly worried that he might lack pace but you can only assume SA has seen other qualities which over-ride that.

Bear in mind that Solano also lacks pace but his positional sense meant he was never found out when he played RB. Also good to hear that he's useful in the air. I am sick of fielding tiddler full-backs who keep conceding headed goals at the far post.

This is another interesting one. Along with Rozenhaal and Ben Haim, Beye was one of the first defenders linked to us since Allardyce's appointment and unlike the Smith/Bent fiasco stirred up by the Mirror, this definitely looks like our next possible signing. Slightly worried that he might lack pace but you can only assume SA has seen other qualities which over-ride that.

Bear in mind that Solano also lacks pace but his positional sense meant he was never found out when he played RB. Also good to hear that he's useful in the air. I am sick of fielding tiddler full-backs who keep conceding headed goals at the far post.

Someone made a good point earlier, Gary Neville lacks pace but has been one of the best right backs in Europe for a long time now.

Someone made a good point earlier, Gary Neville lacks pace but has been one of the best right backs in Europe for a long time now.

Which goes to show that pace is great, but it's only a part of the sum. Personally I have always liked defenders who can defend first and foremost. Probably this is Beye's strength and that's why he's on SA's shopping list. A good a reason as any I'd say.

Which goes to show that pace is great, but it's only a part of the sum. Personally I have always liked defenders who can defend first and foremost. Probably this is Beye's strength and that's why he's on SA's shopping list. A good a reason as any I'd say.

A full back definitely needs to know how to attack, which is something we have lacked and suffered from recently (even Nobby has been a bit of a disappointment on occasions when we have attacked). But I agree they need to know how to defend. Gary Neville has never been the best attacking full back ever but he does know how to get forward and provide another option when ManU have been on the attack.

Will stop talking about Neville now before I get accused of comparing him to Beye :D

Pace is obviously a good thing to have but I would settle for a slower defender who has more ability.

With the comments from Oliver about Baines not being big enough and the possible signing of Beye, it's looking like Allardyce is looking to put together a solid back four that won't attack often, leaving the attacking players with little defensive responsibilities.

With the comments from Oliver about Baines not being big enough and the possible signing of Beye, it's looking like Allardyce is looking to put together a solid back four that won't attack often, leaving the attacking players with little defensive responsibilities.

that would make sense if we were to switch to a back 3 you really need a "no non sense" defensive unit with little to know creative play comming from the wing backs.

Prefer to have a pacy, technical player. Every team would. Preferably with some height. Neville is a superb player. Complete arsehole but a very talented player. If we are playing 433 then it would handy to have an overlapping fullback.

Every team wants them though so its not going to be find anyone with those qualities. Think it is worthwhile focusing on the fact that we probably need 4 fullbacks really.

Glen Johnson has all the attributes in the same way Bramble does and lacks the same vital functions - concentration and a footballing brain. That he has been transferred for a large sum shows how tricky the job is. The Liverpool fans moan about Riise but he is way better than our lot. Man U fans moan about Silvestre but he is way better too. Cant really think of any decent fullbacks who we are certain will succeed who are available. Every one mentioned has risk attached to them. With more and more money and billionaires about it isnt going to be any easier either.

Its going to be a tricky job getting someone decent in. No idea about this lad as I have only seen him once and didnt really notice him then. Sounds like he could be a good squad player though. The sooner we are rid of Ramage et al the better. Not saying anyone is better but ......