Rigters signs for Blackburn

KaKa

In regards to Maceo Rigters, you can kind of see why he hasn't been given opportunities to play as a striker in Holland. He is more of a Michael Owen as he likes to get in behind the defence and he doesn't really have the stature or hold up game to feature as a lone striker in the dutch 4-3-3 system.

Would be a smart move for him to move to a team that plays a 4-4-2 where he can play alongside another striker and use his movement to get into goal scoring opportunities, which he has shown he can do to good effect.

We currently have two strikers of this type in Owens and Martins, but if one leaves I wouldn't mind Rigters as a backup to one of them. I think he has a lot of promise and for the reported fee of £300,000 that would be an outrageous piece of good business.

English pair in bids for Rigters

Two clubs from England's Premier League are in poll position to capture Netherlands Under-21 striker Maceo Rigters, Breda have confirmed.

Blackburn, Celtic, Newcastle and Rangers have all been linked with the 23-year-old forward.

But Breda director of football Earnie Stewart told BBC Sport: "I can confirm that neither Celtic, nor Rangers, have bid for Maceo Rigters.

"The only two offers have come from the English Premiership."

The Dutch club would now tell the player the interested clubs to gauge his interest in joining them.

Stewart confirmed that Celtic had formally expressed an interest in the striker but that Rangers had not yet been in touch.

There had been claims by Rigters' agent that five clubs had now places firm offers for the player.

"If Maceo and/or his agent want to reveal the clubs, that's a matter for them, but NAC Breda won't comment other than to confirm there have been two English bids for him," stressed Stewart.

Agent Frank Schouter told BBC Sport: "I think NAC are now in a position of strength with so many bidders.

"We are just waiting for NAC to tell us which clubs we can talk to and that is likely to happen on Monday."

Breda had hoped to negotiate a new contract with Rigters but now appear resigned to sell him to another club.

Interest in the striker was heightened after he hit four goals for the Netherlands en-route to the side winning the European Under-21 Championship final.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/6249262.stm

Wonder if we're one.

not convinced we are even interested in him.

Smells more like an Agent wanting his player to go to Celtic and trying to get Celtic to get things moving.

We need another player for backup though, especially if carroll goes on loan.

you are allowed 2 overage i think.

we have reo coker and maybe baines? not sure though.

bloke on sky sports claims van basten has aid he is hollands best talent since ruud.

hope we sign him and loan him out a la wenger

how can you play for U21s if you're 23?

because the uefa are nuts

UEFA rules on eligibility for the 2009 European U21 Championships specify players must be born on or after 01.01.86. James Milner is 04.01.86 & Steven Taylor 23.01.86

from .com

I think if we lose Martins and end up with Owen, Eidur, Viduka and Ameobi then he would be well worth bringing in. This is because if Owen is injured it would be good to have another striker who offers us the type of pace we would lack, which Ritgers would do.

Would probably be bad news for Ameobi but so be it. We could then alternate between Owen and Rigters for samller faster strikers and Gudjohnsen and Viduka for a striker with more presence.

bloke on sky sports claims van basten has aid he is hollands best talent since ruud.

If this lad is the best talent since Ruud how comes at 23 he struggles to play in his best position for NAC? No disrespect to them but they aren't exactly a European giant.

Regardless of Owen or Martins leaving im convinced we will bring another player in that can play up front.

Carroll is being loaned out, Viduka is likely to miss the start of the season and an injury to martins or Owen would put the pressure on.

As Ive mentioned before will either be:

-A cheap signing that can play as backup, IE Ritgers

-A loan signing

- or a player that can slot into the team somewhere else other than upfront, IE Gudjohnsen, Babel, Giuly, Diouf etc..

If this lad is the best talent since Ruud how comes at 23 he struggles to play in his best position for NAC? No disrespect to them but they aren't exactly a European giant.

Aye, that´s bollocks I reckon.. Anyway, Marco van Basten would never say such a thing of a player who isn´t affiliated with Ajax..

Guest samtoonarmy

According to the BBC, we are one of four clubs interested in Maceo Rigters. Rangers, Celtic, Blackburn are all said to be interested as well as NUFC. Breda said Blackburn and NUFC have made an offer for the 23 year-old.

We are chasing Gudjohnson and now Rigters - so is this because Owen and Martins are set to leave? 

According to the BBC, we are one of four clubs interested in Maceo Rigters. Rangers, Celtic, Blackburn are all said to be interested as well as NUFC. Breda said Blackburn and NUFC have made an offer for the 23 year-old.

We are chasing Gudjohnson and now Rigters - so is this because Owen and Martins are set to leave? 

Lies.

I don't imagine Rigters is a replacement for either Martins or Owen. More like a 5th striker as Carroll is likely to be loaned out.

Guest Town-Toon

Can't be bothered to read the previous post so apologise if this is repeating what has been said before but.......I think this guy is worth a "punt"  Obviously he won't expect 1st team football, even at celtic.  He could be a guy that sits on the bench gets himself the experience.  Maybe he feels that he could reach the "Barca" "AC Milan" of this world.  BUt at this stage he would never jump into their squads.  I would accept 3 years of this guys developmeny for the risk of fee and wage value.

if we loose owen or martins then we will need another striker

Gudjohnson or maybe Defoe as he will hardly get his game i think

if not then this rigters might be a good striker i havnt saw him play

Guest Roland

:)    Norwich City and Sevilla are linked with him in the NL media. NAC Breda already bought anothers striker (Amoah of Dortmund)

There ccontract fee of 300k has been changed by NAC and Rigters, likely Rigters will get a part of the fee. Reported bids are aboiut 500k GBP at this moment.

Of course, he is worth a lot more ;).

Guest samtoonarmy

if we loose owen or martins then we will need another striker

Gudjohnson or maybe Defoe as he will hardly get his game i think

if not then this rigters might be a good striker i havnt saw him play

I wouldn't go for Defoe. Hes not the strongest of strikers but he does score goals. I would go for a tall striker for the aerial ability. I mean if you look at Owen, Viduka and Martins - they aren't exactly very tall. Fair enough Viduka does score a few headers but i think we need someone that can win balls in the air.