Martins has a clause as well!!!

KaKa

Guest optimistic nit

So we buy a dead expensive player with a clause letting him leave for nearly half the price and a young player with a clause letting him leave for just £3m more if he does well.

Excellent work.

oh but remember what it was like before..  :rolleyes:

Ironic that the eternal prick Alan Oliver is now spouting how highly Mourinho and Wenger rate Martins considering all the negative press Oliver gave the lad himself. Is it any wonder we have achieved nowt with clueless nobs like this representing our region?

Guest teepee

i hope to fuck he doesn't leave - and owen too.

our strikeforce right now is the best it's been for years - since big al was at his 20+ guarenteed level.

i'm sick of all the depressing critics on this website - seriously lads, sit back a think about owen, martins and viduka. we'll field top international strikers for every fuckin macth - even if we have one or two injuries!

Ironic that the eternal prick Alan Oliver is now spouting how highly Mourinho and Wenger rate Martins considering all the negative press Oliver gave the lad himself. Is it any wonder we have achieved nowt with clueless nobs like this representing our region?

Fail to see what relevance the quality of our local journalist has to our lack of success on the pitch.

Fail to see what relevance the quality of our local journalist has to our lack of success on the pitch.

When local thickos run a story it doesn't work - when local thickos run a football club it doesn't work. When the two go hand in hand things can go wrong as we have witnessed.

He's right about Oliver's hypocrisy though.

Martins has dedicated himself to Newcastle at least for another season - clause or no clause

Owen is the only one uncertain, but IMO he will stay with us for another season. He has to prove himself over a long stint aswell. So maybe January?? It's that old thing of, 'he owes us another season'.

Sam needs to get Mike Ashely 'on his bike' to sort out these stupid clauses now! If Owen doesn't want to sign a new deal then he is not for Newcastle United and could only cause us more problems in the future, in which case, get rid of him - £9mil, well that's a blow - but fat fred set it up and let's hope that's the last thing he has anything to do with!

Rumours are rumours, some are exciting, others are worrying. I take them with a pinch of salt though - until I see it for real, it's all shite to me!!

I don't think it is a coincidence this Martins story emerges after the shooting episode. Appears as though we are practically begging other clubs to make offers for bot Martins and Owen.

I don't think we need to worry as there are a lot of options that we could go for to replace these two, players who would fit Sams 4-3-3 better.

For example both Defoe and Diouf would be healthy replacements and would be more effective alongside Viduka in a front three.

Guest Ridzuan

Well somehow rather,Im not that surprise by this news.Nevertheless,Im less concern about Martins situation with Owen situation.I think Martins will still be here next season while there is still uncertainty over Owen's future though I hope he will still be with us next season.

What KaKa says has passed through my mind as well... either Martins and Owen are both trying to engineer moves away from the club via their agents by having these details made public (the most likely outcome), or the club/manager don't want to keep a hold of them and are quite happy for these sort of things to be published in newspapers. I'm sure if we tried hard enough we could deny this, or we could have stopped the stories ourselves.

Just the way Allardyce openly admitted Owen's clause AFTER Shepherd's denial didn't sit quite right with me (even though he was telling the truth) and now if we don't see a denial from NUFC about the Martins release clause then I'll be feeling a lot more cynical about the whole thing. Obviously I hope we keep the pair of them, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to go/wanted to go - as £22M is hardly pocket change. It's not what they're worth like, the figure should be higher, but it's not too bad if they both go for that sort of money when you think of the players we could potentially replace them with.

It would be a shame to break up such a potentially exciting quartet of strikers (Ameobi, Martins, Owen, Viduka) and I would be a fair bit more gutted if they both moved on to PL clubs and did brilliantly, though. But we'll see, I cannot predict what's in Sam's plans.

What KaKa says has passed through my mind as well... either Martins and Owen are both trying to engineer moves away from the club via their agents by having these details made public (the most likely outcome), or the club/manager don't want to keep a hold of them and are quite happy for these sort of things to be published in newspapers. I'm sure if we tried hard enough we could deny this, or we could have stopped the stories ourselves.

Just the way Allardyce openly admitted Owen's clause AFTER Shepherd's denial didn't sit quite right with me (even though he was telling the truth) and now if we don't see a denial from NUFC about the Martins release clause then I'll be feeling a lot more cynical about the whole thing. Obviously I hope we keep the pair of them, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they had to go/wanted to go - as £22M is hardly pocket change. It's not what they're worth like, the figure should be higher, but it's not too bad if they both go for that sort of money when you think of the players we could potentially replace them with.

It would be a shame to break up such a potentially exciting quartet of strikers (Ameobi, Martins, Owen, Viduka) and I would be a fair bit more gutted if they both moved on to PL clubs and did brilliantly, though. But we'll see, I cannot predict what's in Sam's plans.

I was especially suspicious when the same info was repeated in the evening chronicle after it had appeared in the independent in the morning. It basically made the claims in the independent legitimate. Not only that, but the chronicle also felt the need to then repeat that Owen was available for £9 million just in case anyone forgot! I am not sweating it at all, provided we move people on in time and get new players in quickly.

Defoe and Diouf are easily within reach and if we used the money for Owen and Martins on these two we would probably have an extra £6 million or so left over.

£60k per week x 52 = £3120000 per year

4 years = £12.5m

This means Martins can buy himself out of his contract for this amount, 13m is there fore about right

I thought they could only buy out their clause when they have 1 year left.

we are very lucky to have ashley at the club now. before him, we could have faced the possibility of losing two effective strikers with lots of areas of the team needing replacing with limited resources. now, whilst i am desperate not to lose owen and martins, we could afford to lose them as we have the financial muscle to recruit replacements, just it would seem a hindrance considering we already have the ideal front four. however, i believe with allardyce in charge he can persuade both players to stay on and in that time we can climb the league and ashley can take these clauses out with better contracts (christ, think of owen's wage!). at least, this is what i hope for.

Guest johnson293

we are very lucky to have ashley at the club now. before him, we could have faced the possibility of losing two effective strikers with lots of areas of the team needing replacing with limited resources. now, whilst i am desperate not to lose owen and martins, we could afford to lose them as we have the financial muscle to recruit replacemets, just it woud seem a hindrance considering we already have the ideal front four. however, i believe with allardyce in charge he can persuade both players to stay on and in that time we can climb the league and ashley can take these clauses out with better contracts (christ, think of owen's wage!). at least, this is what i hope for.

I kind of agree with that above - however as mentioned earlier, the critical thing is going to be timing.

We can afford to lose them, as long as we dont lose one or both of them on the 31st of August!

What needs to happen is some kind of agreement between the club/Allardyce and each player, that if they haven't moved/no-one has bid for them by 1st August at latest, then they agree not to move until the next window, if indeed they still want to by then.

If at all possible, the club shouldn't allow the players to dictate when they might leave, possibly leaving us inadequate time to replace them before the season starts.

Hopefully though, both will agree to start the season here, and see how the Allardyce/Ashley revolution begins.

Poor management to have the clause in Martins' contract, but for 13m I'd be hard pressed to say no anyway.

Hope he stays though, think given a couple of years he'll be very nifty.

The problem would be if one or both of the Owen and Martins clauses got activated late in the transfer window -- for example, by clubs who hadn't been able sign other, preferred targets -- leaving us with the cash but no time to replace the players.

The money's almost irrelevant these days. Most every club in the Premiership has cash, but there's a real shortage of top-quality players to spend it on.