Christopher Mort appointed Deputy Chairman, other boardroom changes

NSG

Guest johnson293

I'm suprised no-one has pointed out the key point regarding the change in boardroom structure.

Previously, it consisted of five acquaintances, with 50/50 splits between Shepherd and Hall being decided by the so-called impartial Revill.

Now, there are three people on the board, and two of them are Ashley's men. Shepherd has a seat on the board where he can at least offer advice on footballing matters, but he pretty much has no say on the final boardroom decisions.

Do you think this is the end of the changes?

If not then there is no point analysing seating arrangements just yet.

I think there probably will be one or two more boardroom appointments yet, but crucially they will still be Ashley's people.

Basically, Shepherd is probably only there in an advisory role during the transitional period, but has probably been allowed to reatin his 'title' as an act of goodwill for not holding up the buy-out of his shares.

As mentioned above though, he now doesn't have the safety/security of any family or friends/cohorts on the board, so any dabbling in transfers or anything that he attempted, would be veto'd straight away - if he is even given much/any responsibility in the day-to-day running anymore.

It seems the board now has a new chairman in waiting, and a Media savvy PR guy on board.

So once everyone is comfortable that they know the club, Freddy will probably just slip away.

Im just looking forward to a well run Newcastle from the top down, From Ashley down and with SA as manager i think we now have a good set-up, A vastly superior set-up from last season with FS in charge and Roeder as manager. I honestly think we now have the people in the right places to actually go on and win silverware, Probably not this season but within 2-3 seasons.

This has to be the 1st pre-season in god knows how many years where ive been excited about the up and coming season, Its amazing what has happen over the past few weeks.

Guest elbee909

Hayward has experience in the sport and leisure fields, including spells with Universal/Paramount, Ashley's Sports Direct International and Coca-Cola, where he managed the soft drinks giant's UK sponsorship programme, which saw him work with all the major participants in English football.

How dare this Whitten bloke beat Alan Oliver to the exclusive?!

Screw them!!!! I mooted Mort on here on Sunday while other were talking about Dein.

Mentioned Mort when we discussed Dein?

Someone on the forum mentioned this a few days ago, looks like someone on here might be ITK, that would be a first :)

Well spotted as that was me. I am not ITK, I read the business sections of newspapers a well as the sport section & then start searching google. I found Mort & read what had been coming out of from the "Ashley Camp" & it seemed obvious that Mort would be in the running.

My David Edgar signs a contract extension post was a ITK post though :)

Someone on the forum mentioned this a few days ago, looks like someone on here might be ITK, that would be a first :)

Well spotted as that was me. I am not ITK, I read the business sections of newspapers a well as the sport section & then start searching google. I found Mort & read what had been coming out of from the "Ashley Camp" & it seemed obvious that Mort would be in the running.

My David Edgar signs a contract extension post was a ITK post though :)

I respect your authoritah, for sure. Good call on this one. These days cannot come quickly enough Toon-wise at the minute - it's magic.

Not directly but people were going about Dein in the Entire board to be booted out thread before my post.

My post on here on Sunday really means it was a WORLD EXCLUSIVE for Newcastle-online.com, thas how I see it anyway :razz: O0

Not directly but people were going about Dein in the Entire board to be booted out thread before my post.

My post on here on Sunday really means it was a WORLD EXCLUSIVE for Newcastle-online.com, thas how I see it anyway :razz: O0

I was just taking the piss out of your unintentional alliteration before. ;)

On a serious note a Google search earlier found an article that mentioned the bloke as a possible board member of Blacks after he booted them out the other week.

I was just taking the piss out of your unintentional alliteration before. ;)

On a serious note a Google search earlier found an article that mentioned the bloke as a possible board member of Blacks after he booted them out the other week.

Dave dont take anything away from my world exclusie O0 as I have been pumped up about this since reading it in the Chron at lunchtime.

By the looks of the release on the Stock Exchange Mort will only be a temoorary appointment.  Think it says he is on some kind of sabbatical.  Consequently, I think a few other Ashley 'men' will be on board soon.

He has vowed to spend big to make Newcastle United one of the world’s great football clubs.

Don't recall that vow myself.

Not personally he hasn't, but then he doesn't talk to the media. However his 5-year plan to make us Champions League winners, or summat, included a mention of something like a £200m budget?

AFAIR the article mentioned £50 million for Allardyce in his first season with Ashley deciding at the end of the season wether he was the right man for the job long term.  With a further £270 million over five years for the manager he decides is the right man.  The article didn't say wether the £270 million would include any money brought in by the club or wether it would be £270 million put in on top of club money..  But who knows how much of it was true and how much was bollocks anyway so..

He has vowed to spend big to make Newcastle United one of the world’s great football clubs.

Don't recall that vow myself.

Not personally he hasn't, but then he doesn't talk to the media. However his 5-year plan to make us Champions League winners, or summat, included a mention of something like a £200m budget?

The article mentioned £50 million for Allardyce in his first season with Ashley deciding at the end of that season wether Allardyce was the right man for the job long term.  With a further £270 million over five years for the manager he decides is the right man.  The article didn't say wether the £270 million would include money brought in by the club or wether it would be £270 million put in by Ashley on top of club money though..  But who knows how much of it was true and how much was bollocks..

i'd find it highly unlikely/papertalk that ashley has actually laid out figures like £50mill this year etc,he'll hopefully allow to be spent what he thinks is necessary and what is beneficial and what is doable.

Well I doubt he'll be telling Allardyce "You better bloody spend £50 million!!".  But that may well be the most Allardyce will be allowed to spend this season.  Or the article might just be total crap..

I'd be amazed if we spent more than £20-25m this summer (considering we've spent ~£9m already), just doesn't seem clever. We need a foundation first.

we haven't spent £9mill net though,i'm sure i'm quoted on here saying we'll spend around £35mill this window,not sure how much of this will be fresh cash mind.