Wenger reportedly wants Oba for 13 million according to Sun.

madras

Haven't seen Sam's SSN interview but reading his comments (verbatim?) what strikes me is the fact that in very few words he reminds everyone (twice) that Oba has this get out clause & then mentions it again when talking about Owen.

Could Sam really be saying "Oba has a get our clause; come and get him"?

Guest 22bnw

11 league goals in 34 games

We also only won 11 league games last season, theres more to come...

Haven't seen Sam's SSN interview but reading his comments (verbatim?) what strikes me is the fact that in very few words he reminds everyone (twice) that Oba has this get out clause & then mentions it again when talking about Owen.

No. He's obviously saying that he wants to keep him.

Sam likes his bigger strikers.

Guest Darth Toon

It's possible I suppose.

Would certainly be in stark contrast to previous managers' attempts to get rid of unwanted players!

Sam likes his bigger strikers.

Doesnt know how to play with wee ones?

I think Sam wants to keep him which is why they are trying to give him a new deal.

Owen on the other hand I think Sam wouldn't mind flogging asap.

Sounds to me that Sam is confident of keeping Owen.

I'd be a bit gutted if he goes, don't think we have seen enough of him in his more natural position somewhere behind the main striker. Used to score great goals for Inter making those late runs into the box and proved last season he can finish. Martins over Owen any day.

Guest 22bnw

I'd be a bit gutted if he goes, don't think we have seen enough of him in his more natural position somewhere behind the main striker. Used to score great goals for Inter making those late runs into the box and proved last season he can finish. Martins over Owen any day.

Agreed.

If I had a player with a get out clause that I wanted to keep the last thing I'd do would be to go on TV & talk openly that Arsenal hadn't made any offers and remind everyone that the player does have a get out clause.

If I wanted to keep him I wouldn't say a word to the media & would track down the player and get him to state his intention.

Sam seems to do most of his business covertly & did say when he came that he hoped the 1st that the fans new of signings etc would be when they were done. It was unfortunate as he knew how we loved our gossip.

He's talking like a fish wife over these get out clauses.

If I had a player with a get out clause that I wanted to keep the last thing I'd do would be to go on TV & talk openly that Arsenal hadn't made any offers and remind everyone that the player does have a get out clause.

If I wanted to keep him I wouldn't say a word to the media & would track down the player and get him to state his intention.

Sam seems to do most of his business covertly & did say when he came that he hoped the 1st that the fans new of signings etc would be when they were done. It was unfortunate as he knew how we loved our gossip.

He's talking like a fish wife over these get out clauses.

“When Oba comes back, we will sit down and say: ’What exactly is the situation?’ and if he has any problems, try to resolve them and hopefully persuade him Newcastle is the place for him next season.”

Yeah, it really sounds like he wants to get rid. Especially if you combine it with the "you don't want to lose your top striker" that he said at the press conference when he first sign.

Martins scored 17 goals in a season where the rest of the team were absolutely shocking - the last player that did that at Newcastle was...well...Shearer.

11 league goals in 34 games. Against the following opposition.

West Ham (A) 1

Reading (H)  1 (pen)

Blackburn (A) 2 (one without a goalkeeper in nets)

Watford (H) 2

Spurs (H) 1 (even Parker scored against Spurs in this game :tongue:)

Spurs (A) 1 (even Huntington & Butt scored against Spurs in this game :tongue:)

Fulham (A) 1

Liverpool (H) 1 (gifted by comedy defending)

Sheffield (A) 1

By no means irreplaceable.

i wil be very sad  if he leaves us :( but on the other hand whyshould he leave us we er a club on the uppside and should within two years  time be at same status as arsenal or higher.

Especially if they replace Henry with Martins.  :razz:

Utter tosh. Perhaps some of the screamers he scored were because he had switched the ball with a 99p floater...and paid the keeper to dive the wrong way.

Guest Urban Fox

Sam is the type of manager who will take Owen to one side when the squad returns for training next week and say "If you pledge your future to newcastle now - great - go and tell the Geordies you love the club and the fans and nothing will give you greater pleasure than scoring plenty next season for them.  If you say nothing, waiting for Liverpool et al to come in for you so you can tell everyone you didn't want to leave in the first place, I will be going out and spending 15m on a trophy striker and guarenteeing him first team football alongside Marc Viduka.  If noone comes in for you - you'll get a game for the first team if either first choice is injured, that is if you are scoring plenty for the reserves.  At least you'll still get a first team game when there's an England match on."

He won't let him hold us ransom when he could leave the day before the window shuts leaving us in the s***.  

Best way to get Owen to commit is to renegotiate his contract - 3 years, no get out clause - if he signed, people might actually think he was a decent bloke and the fact his face is so annoying would fall into the 'I can put up with it' category.

As for Martins - I think we could buy someone who can trap a ball for £13 never mind £13 million.

Gudjohnsen has a great first touch, technique, vision and passing but he won't score many. It all depends what you're looking for.

Martins will probably never have a great first touch, he's not gifted in that way. But he is gifted in other ways which if nurtured, could be used to devastating effect. Owen came in (admittedly after a long lay off) and looked pretty poor in those last few games yet excuses were made for him. If the service isn't there then goals won't come. How many of Martins' goals were put on a plate for him? The majority he made for himself.

Martins scored 17 goals in a season where the rest of the team were absolutely shocking - the last player that did that at Newcastle was...well...Shearer.

11 league goals in 34 games. Against the following opposition.

West Ham (A) 1

Reading (H)  1 (pen)

Blackburn (A) 2 (one without a goalkeeper in nets)

Watford (H) 2

Spurs (H) 1 (even Parker scored against Spurs in this game :tongue:)

Spurs (A) 1 (even Huntington & Butt scored against Spurs in this game :tongue:)

Fulham (A) 1

Liverpool (H) 1 (gifted by comedy defending)

Sheffield (A) 1

By no means irreplaceable.

i wil be very sad  if he leaves us :( but on the other hand whyshould he leave us we er a club on the uppside and should within two years  time be at same status as arsenal or higher.

Especially if they replace Henry with Martins.  :razz:

Utter tosh. Perhaps some of the screamers he scored were because he had switched the ball with a 99p floater...and paid the keeper to dive the wrong way.

Good for you if you're completely happy with a player who can just about creep over 10 goals a season playing as the main striker as long as they score 3 or 4 "screamers".

To clarify, the only goal he scored against a defense better than our patched up affair last season was this one against Liverpool:

"26 mins Martins chased a Kieron Dyer ball down our right but Jose Reina inexplicably rushed out and blasted the ball against his own defender leaving Martins to take a couple of touches before stroking the ball into the empty net. 1-1"

I'm undecided about Martins. I know that £13m represents excellent value for him, but sometimes he just looks so bloody good - he was awesome against Alkmaar at home. I'd love to see if we can get that out of him on a regular basis.