Best match you've ever watched?

Guest makemeacupoftea

The match when we beat Leicester 4-3 after being 3-1 down was a good one. Heskey terrorised us that day (no, really). Class when Shearer tapped-in the fourth near the end. More of a great last quarter of the game than a great match from a Toon point of view I suppose.

the 5-4 was better

roy aitkens first game for us I think

The first Leicester 5-4 was incredible. We looked down and out at 4-2 down, with 13 mins to go. However, goals from John Gallacher (remember him !), Quinn tied it to 4-4, with Mark McGhee scoring the winner in injury time. Unbelievable.  :coolsmiley:

In recent years, the match ive enjoyed the most was probably ManU vs Real Madrid in 2000 or there abouts. Redondo came and absolutely dominated ManU in what was an extremely attacking and entertaining game. There was that backheel/nutmeg that is probably the best piece of individual genius at such a high level ill ever see - it wasnt a case of merely dribbling past 2, 3 or 5 players, or producing a shot/volley from range, something which the opposition or situation often forces you to do, it was merely phenomenal ability/skill/intelligence to use one piece of extraordinary skill to baffle an entire defence. Some player that guy was, probably the most underrated and underappreciated player of the 90s.

I agree, he totally dominated Keane in that game, he was absolutely everywhere. For me he's probably the best player of his type I've seen in my lifetime, he had it all. It's a shame so many haven't even heard of him. I'd agree he is probably the most underrated player from the 90s. Real Madrid fans rioted when he was sold to Milan. He is still very highly regarded by the Madridistas. Unfortunately his career was ruined by injuries and a fallout with the Argentine national coach meant he didn't get to show his stuff on the international stage. When Real were playing their champagne football he was the heart of the team.

Most probably one of four.  Sunderland 4-1 Chelsea.  Chelsea 2-4 Sunderland.  Charlton 4-4 Sunderland. Or Fulham Vs. Blackburn a few years ago I think it ended 4-3 to Blackburn and was a relegation battle.  It was just a fantastic game, real end to end stuff. 

Guest graemeh72

Attended only ........

Toon match .... 5-0 over Man U by an absolute mile..... better than sex on drugs..... and you can quote me on that !

England ..... bizzarely England v Germany Euro 96 semi finals (Holland was great especially the result but the whole Germany game had me entranced)

Neutral..... Barcelona 1-0 Real Sociedad (Game was crap but El Goof scored in the 89th minute....... OMG ....Have you ever heard 90,000 cheer at once?

Attended only ........

Toon match .... 5-0 over Man U by an absolute mile..... better than sex on drugs..... and you can quote me on that !

England ..... bizzarely England v Germany Euro 96 semi finals (Holland was great especially the result but the whole Germany game had me entranced)

Neutral..... Barcelona 1-0 Real Sociedad (Game was crap but El Goof scored in the 89th minute....... OMG ....Have you ever heard 90,000 cheer at once?

Was that the game he nutmegged a player than smashed it on off the crossbar from 30 yards?

Guest graemeh72

Sadly no....

It has to be said that it was a poor demonstration of barcelonas flair-ability that night.

Twas a free kick... top corner

Alberto ...Do you know who the keeper for Real Sociedad was that night?

Zidane's last game at the Bernabeu was pretty emotional. I'm not a Real Madrid fan but I was proud to be there and bid farewell to one of the all time greats. The game had everything.

Real's players wore special shirts with "Zidane 2001-2006" under the badge. Every fan was given a poster displaying "Gracias, Zidane" to hold up and the Ultras formed a mosaic of his face behind the goal. Real laid siege on the Villarreal goal and took the lead through a Baptista volley. Villarreal equalised through an own goal before taking the lead with an excellent volley from Forlan. Zidane got the equaliser and sent the fans mental with a header. Villarreal thought they had won the game with 5 minutes to go as Villarreal were given a dodgy penalty and Sergio Ramos was sent off. Forlan dispatched the penalty but Baptista levelled at the death. There was even a fan ran across the pitch. Zidane left the field with tears at the end.

Zidane had one more game to play, away to Sevilla. He scored in that one too but they lost 4-3. The club and fans pleaded with him not to retire but his mind was made up.

Guest graemeh72

No, Alberto

:laugh:

I'd have said the same as Dave, was that the goal when he jumped into the crowd?

Sometimes you need to look at yourself to find the answer........;)

Brazil 2 - Italy 3 in the 1982 World Cup finals. Shame about the result though.

Just a bit too young to recall that one but I do remember sitting in front of the telly being mesmerised at the Quarter Final between France and Brazil in Mexico '86. Game finished 1-1 and the frogs won on pens. Platini was the best in the world at that time, bar none. Great team, great game.

That was a fantastic game too like and I almost mentioned it in my post. The Brazil side had some of the '82 side but they were past their peak a bit. Platini was fantastic at the time and had been two years earlier in the Euro Championships when he guided them to victory. I'm going to have to pull you up though as Maradona was better at the time. How could you forget him in '86 man? ;)

I relent, Maradona was the best at that time but Platini was a very close second. I think France were just about the best team of that era but Maradona was sensational and won that World Cup virtually single-handedly

Both top, top players.  :thup:

Aye, France beaten in the semis by the Jormans just like they were four years earlier. In '82 the final should have been Brazil v France and the Frogs were unlucky to be so drained from that quarter against Brazil in '86 too. They could have easily won both tournaments with the players they had. Especially in midfield. I loved Platini like. Did you know he was top scorer in Serie A three years running at around that time whilst at Juventus? Some achievement for a midfielder even if he did take all the free-kicks/penalties.

I knew he took the pens like and always seemed like Robson with a boat-load of skill. Arriving late in the box to finish moves off.

How old are you again? You must have a few years on me if you can still remember details of '82. I can remember bits and pieces of '82 but '86 was the first World Cup I can remember.

I'm 32 but I can remember Espana '82 pretty well even though I was only 7 (and 3/4 ;) ) at the time. England went home unbeaten winning 3 and drawing 2 as well but they had a daft 3 group stage instead of last 16/ quarter finals. I can especially remember Brazil's matches and England's. Also the France - W Germany semi and the final. Italy - Brazil stands out though.

Aye, you've got a year or two on me!

Is it just me, or were games better back then? Genuinely can't even remember the other Semi Finalists of either 2002 or 2006.  :blush:

I really enjoyed your 5-0 drubbing of ManU mentioned above.

Standouts for me are more dramatic games: Istanbul (obviously), Germany 1 England 5 (as I was there and live in Germany), the Liverpool-NUFC 4-3 games, particularly the first one, were fantastic spectacles. The 2001 UEFA Cup final was a brilliant game.

I remember really enjoying it when Norwich beat ManUtd 2-0 a few years ago.  It was 0-0 at halftime, and the way it just built and built and built towards Norwich winning was really exciting.  Then they had to desperatley hang on at the end.  Quality game.

Derby - Newcastle 2-3

Derby went 2-0 up in the first ten minutes of the second half, but we turned it around and Lua-Lua got his first ever Premiership goal for us.

I was close to tears when we won 3-1 at Highbury earlier that season.

Best overall game ever watched was Sweden-Romania in the 1994 World Cup. It had everything. Especially for us Swedes!

Derby - Newcastle 2-3

Derby went 2-0 up in the first ten minutes of the second half, but we turned it around and Lua-Lua got his first ever Premiership goal for us.

I was close to tears when we won 3-1 at Highbury earlier that season.

Best overall game ever watched was Sweden-Romania in the 1994 World Cup. It had everything. Especially for us Swedes!

Loved that Derby game :D

My personal favourite was our victory away to Leeds United, 3-1 down against a very good side away from home to win it with a last minute Solano goal was brilliant :D

Derby - Newcastle 2-3

yeah, what a game, was behind the goal where Robert smashed in that free-kick when 99% of the best of players would have chosen to cross it

one of many wins that season that would have been written off after 60 mins had Robert not been on the pitch

My personal favourite was our victory away to Leeds United, 3-1 down against a very good side away from home to win it with a last minute Solano goal was brilliant :D

Jon Champion's words when that goal went in will stay with me for a long time "Bobby Robson does a jig of delight on the touchline and then remembers he's nearly 69" :lol:

Jon Champion's words when that goal went in will stay with me for a long time "Bobby Robson does a jig of delight on the touchline and then remembers he's nearly 69" :lol:

Yeh i remember :lol: