Torres passes Liverpool medical

Kev

Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres has passed a medical at Liverpool and is set to complete his £26.5m move to Anfield on Wednesday.

Torres, 23, has flown back to Madrid where he will hold a press conference to say goodbye to Atletico fans.

Liverpool have agreed a club record deal with Atletico and BBC Sport understands the Spain striker will sign a six-year contract.

The Reds will then target Manchester United defender Gabriel Heinze.

£26.5 million is alot of money for a striker  ;D

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Another fantastic coup for the premiership (And the scousers), shame we lost Henry but the standard of the league will be imense next year and ever improving imo.

Think it'll be a weak Prem next season, loads of relegation candidates

Guest sicko2ndbest

Atletico Madrid have confirmed they have reached an agreement to sell Fernando Torres to Liverpool after the Spanish international passed his medical on Merseyside.

Torres will now return to his home country to bid goodbye to his fans in the Spanish capital, before travelling back to England to be presented as Liverpool's record signing in a deal worth a reported £26.5million.

"Club Atletico de Madrid has reached an agreement with Liverpool Football Club for the sale of Fernando Torres to the British club," read a statement on the Spanish club's website.

"The player, accompanied by Don Enrique Cerezo and Jesus Garcia Pitarch, will hold a farewell press conference on Wednesday 4 July."

Liverpool have also confirmed that Torres passed all the necessary medical tests during his trip to England on Tuesday.

"The player has passed a medical," confirmed a club spokesman.

"All the agreements are now in place and he will put pen to paper on the deal on Wednesday."

Rafa Benitez has targeted Torres as a key recruit as he looks to mount a challenge for the Premier League title next season, and the substantial outlay on the striker nicknamed 'El Nino' is certainly a prominent signal of intent on the part of the Anfield boss.

Torres is expected to sign a six-year contract worth around £90,000 per week upon joining the five-time European Cup winners, and his arrival will likely increase speculation regarding the futures of Craig Bellamy and Peter Crouch.

Manchester City have been linked with a move for Crouch with former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson set to take charge at Eastlands, but Liverpool have played down speculation that the fans' favourite could be sold.

Chief executive Rick Parry insists the unique striker remains very much a key player at Anfield.

"It is not true that he is the only player not to have been approached about a new deal and he is very much part of Rafa Benitez's future plans," stated Parry.

Luis Garcia has already been moved out of Anfield to help accommodate Torres, joining Atletico in a £4million deal on Tuesday.

Story Tools:

Print Email this page Messageboards

Guest king harry

Heinze to liverpool might finally mean Hyypia to us.

If he signs it will be to fill the left back role, Hyypia has said he is happy to spend one last year at anfield, even though he knows his games will be limited.

Heinze to liverpool might finally mean Hyypia to us.

Heinze doesn't look anywhere near as good since his knee went, Liverpool would be better off staying away from that one IMO.

Guest mohjo

Guillem Balague just said that it's a lot lower than the reported price.  Around 20 million pounds was the price quoted by Balague and with Luis Garcia going the other way for 4 million it's about a 16 million pound transfer.

Balague .mp3

Guest king harry

Guillem Balague just said that it's a lot lower than the reported price.  Around 20 million pounds was the price quoted by Balague and with Luis Garcia going the other way for 4 million it's about a 16 million pound transfer.

Balague .mp3

watched that and put it on the other thread, 30 million eiro, with liverpool getting 4 million for garcia, basically not much more than Bent cost spurs

Balague .mp3

watched that and put it on the other thread, 30 million eiro, with liverpool getting 4 million for garcia, basically not much more than Bent cost spurs

If thats the case, its more respectable. I've only ever seen Torres (that i've realised anyway) in the World Cup, where he did look pretty good. I'll hold back judgement until i've seen him play properly though.

Guest gggg

David Villa>Torres

Different types of players. Villa is more of a goalscorer imo. Still great signing for Liverpool I think.

And Villa was never as good as Torres before he joined a big club so it's a stupid comparison.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

So does anyone know what the Luis Garcia part of the deal was?

Was it separate, included in the price or the price stated and Garcia?

Garcia was a separate deal £4m.

Most overrated player on the planet.

He's done nothing to justify such a price tag, yet all the people who play on FM and Pro Evo absolutely laud over him.

Good signing for the scousers tbh. If he plays regularly, I think he'll get at least 20 for them.

Bit pricey, but if you can afford it... :rolleyes:

He's never got 20 in Spain so why would he do it in the Premiership?

I would be very wary of handing over £20-odd million for a striker who scores less often in La Liga than Forlan and Kanoute

Good signing for the scousers tbh. If he plays regularly, I think he'll get at least 20 for them.

Bit pricey, but if you can afford it... :rolleyes:

He's never got 20 in Spain so why would he do it in the Premiership?

I would be very wary of handing over £20-odd million for a striker who scores less often in La Liga than Forlan and Kanoute

Fairly confident that if he plays 50 games, he'll get 20 goals. He's good enough on the deck and the lad can finish chances if they come his way.

I'm not making him out to be the next Pele but i think he'll do a job for them and he'll progress as a footballer under Benitez. Take those blue specs off!  :lol: