Reo-Coker set to join Aston Villa

Kev

Aston Villa are set to complete the signing of West Ham midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker for about £8m.

The two clubs are believed to have finally agreed on a fee for the 23-year-old and he is expected to seal a four-year contract at Villa Park.

He will clinch the move after a medical but he will go on holiday instead of starting training because he played for England Under-21s this summer.

Reo-Coker will be manager Martin O'Neill's first signing of the summer.

says bbc sport

I think he's a good player...when he's on. But anyone who captains their side, and plays every minute of every game when fit, but plays at 80% cos he "didn't feel wanted", even after having bids for him knocked back, is blatantly a bit of a spacker. I'd back Martin O'Neill to deal with him tho, as a man manager he is a cut above the assorted wasters theyve had at WHU. And I would have had him here, in fact I'd assumed the hold up was because Sven had given him a ring. Ah well.

Guest Toon83

Not a chance is he worth anywhere near the £8m he is going for, i would rate him at £3m max, he was shocking at the under 21 championship and played very poorly for West Ham last year, good luck to Villa  :uglystupid2:

He's a decent player who could get better. £8m seems a lot but I'm pretty sure that if it doesn't work out for him at Villa, they'd still get a fair bit of money back due to his age.

He has all the attributes to be a good player but for me, doesn't seem to care about football.

Haven't seen him have a good game since the FA Cup Final

This.

i think he was good for 3/4 of last season but isnt worth £8million

I think you'd struggle to find any West  Ham fans who think he was good for 1/4 of the last season

They hate his guts

He is a good player. Inspirational for the U21's.

Knew he was in the shop-window imo.

Basically made his position at West Ham untenable with some of his statements after the season had finished and played 'eyeballs out' during the Summer. Shame he didn't do that during the regular season.  :rolleyes:

Guest Guinness

He's a decent player, but not worth the £8m being quoted. Still he's got potential and could do well for a Villa side that look like improving a fair bit next season.

Guest brewer

He has all the attributes to be a good player but for me, doesn't seem to care about football.

He was excellent home and away against Arsenal and Man U

He was excellent home and away against Arsenal and Man U

The two clubs who supposedly had bids rejected at the end of the previous season

Turning it on when he's in the shop window...?

They are welcome to him. We should be aiming far higher

What, like Joey Barton? Another temperamental but promising midfielder with a dodgy rep?

Fact is that this summer there were three midfielders moving around at (very roughly) the same price - Barton, Parker and NRC. I said a while back I'd have been happy with Barton or NRC, they're both good players.

Reo-Coker was playing at an absolute basket case of a club last year, so it is very hard to judge him on that. He got a lot of stick from their fans, but then again, to be honest, a five minute glance at kumb will tell you all you need to know about West Ham fans. These are the same fans who told us that the reason Ashley Young chose Villa over West Ham (despite them apparently offering him something like 10k a week more) was that he had a major problem with the dressing room politics there, and that the main problem was NRC in particular. Something which clearly wasn't borne out during the U21 championship when you could tell they were obviously close (post match interviews, body language on the pitch etc)

Anyway, I'm just glad we've signed him. Apparently, SWP is currently choosing between us and them, too, so hopefully he'll come down on the side of the righteous as well. I really can't stand West Ham.

And yes, the fee is a little on the high side, but what's the point in having these billionaire owners if you don't get them to push the boat out every now and then?

Not too sure on his bottle. 23-years old, captain of his country at Under 21 level, and he's 9th on the list of penalty-takers which he fluffs.

Not the sort of inspirational player you want is it? Don't think he's all that good a player either.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

What, like Joey Barton? Another temperamental but promising midfielder with a dodgy rep?

I don't think it is a matter of temperament with Reo-Coker, but a sense of underachievement.

He's a proper nice guy like.

Not too sure on his bottle. 23-years old, captain of his country at Under 21 level, and he's 9th on the list of penalty-takers which he fluffs.

Not the sort of inspirational player you want is it? Don't think he's all that good a player either.

Not being a good penalty taker won't be a problem, we've got Gareth Barry to handle those. Seems a slightly harsh criticism of him, to be honest.

Put it this way - he's replacing Gavin McCann. If anyone can tell me that doesn't represent siginificant progress, I'll eat my hat. And yours.

i think he is canny, but there's issues about his mindset on the pitch. not like barton or bellamy or diouf, who lead questionable lives off-field, but on the pitch work their socks off, are committed and inspirational. NRC seems like the opposite. bit of a loose passer and gets caught on the ball too much, but could be an england regular if he tightens up his game and focuses.

Fact is that this summer there were three midfielders moving around at (very roughly) the same price - Barton, Parker and NRC. I said a while back I'd have been happy with Barton or NRC, they're both good players.

Reo-Coker was playing at an absolute basket case of a club last year, so it is very hard to judge him on that. He got a lot of stick from their fans, but then again, to be honest, a five minute glance at kumb will tell you all you need to know about West Ham fans. These are the same fans who told us that the reason Ashley Young chose Villa over West Ham (despite them apparently offering him something like 10k a week more) was that he had a major problem with the dressing room politics there, and that the main problem was NRC in particular. Something which clearly wasn't borne out during the U21 championship when you could tell they were obviously close (post match interviews, body language on the pitch etc)

Anyway, I'm just glad we've signed him. Apparently, SWP is currently choosing between us and them, too, so hopefully he'll come down on the side of the righteous as well. I really can't stand West Ham.

And yes, the fee is a little on the high side, but what's the point in having these billionaire owners if you don't get them to push the boat out every now and then?

You are giving NRC far too much credit to mention him in the same sentence as Barton IMHO, and i said the same before any of the 3 moved clubs, and nothing has changed.

He has a big chip on his shoulder ATM, and even when thats gone the talent is only worth about half of the money Villa have paid. I still think he's a good player in there, but he's a long way off Barton's standard, and right now out of the 3 clubs trading, NUFC got the best deal, and i honestly think WHU came in second by a country mile getting Parker in and NRC out for daft money.