Milner signs new four-year deal

Guest hindu times

I thought Butt was our best player last season but he isn't good enough for where we want to be either, both him and Milner stood out for their 100% effort rather than being excellent players.

Butt needs to be replaced in the first team with someone who's better on the ball, last season we had so many technically inept defenders to go with a midfield partnership of Butt and Parker that we had no option but to boot it up field all the time.

As for Milner, he has the attributes to make a decent attacking midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation but his biggest weaknesses (pace, crossing ability) are whats important for a winger, his crossing can get better but it's never going to be good enough to make up for his lack of pace.

You told me I wasn't allowed to use them  :(

Ok, here you go...

:sleepy2: :munky2:

Well done. By the way, Baggio just summed it up. His versatility is another reason I am pleased to keep him, as is his willingness to work. However, we need much better, even from a utility player if we are to progress and challenge for serious honours on a consistent basis.

Guest Ridzuan

Yipee! Been waiting for this news anxiously.Now that he has sign a new deal,I can rest my mind now.  :clap:

Very good news.  I was one of the most vocal, saying "he is exactly the type of player big clubs don't sell, we should be building a team with him for the next ten years or so", before and during all the ridiculous attempts to sell him to Villa.

That was bizarre, even by our (old-style) standards.

Very good news.  I was one of the most vocal, saying "he is exactly the type of player big clubs don't sell, we should be building a team with him for the next ten years or so", before and during all the ridiculous attempts to sell him to Villa.

Aye! All we have to do now is teach him how to cross properly and score goals!

He needs to learn those things, but he's still the best right winger we have now that Nobby is all slow and that.

He needs to learn those things, but he's still the best right winger we have now that Nobby is all slow and that.

Yes, he is a "work in progress" , but the finished product won't be too far off, and WHAT a product that will be (in my opinion).

Great news.

Only real criticism I have of him is his inability to take players on.

What a turn-around eh?

Was a shoe-in to sign for Villa - assuming we got Dukes. We didnt get Dukes, kept Milner, and a year later we have both of them

Good news.  Some people say that he can cross the ball well. I disagree about that. He's made one or two great crosses but how many hasn't been really shit. Most of them imo..

His attributes to play there.

When did he last play there over a period of games? Duff has the attributes to be one of the best left wingers in the premiership yet he was one of the worst last season.

I would say Milner has the place to lose at the moment. If Geremi comes in and does better knocking Milner onto the bench I will be more than happy but at the moment I would say Milner is the best right winger we have as we can't really judge Geremi yet.

His attributes to play there.

When did he last play there over a period of games? Duff has the attributes to be one of the best left wingers in the premiership yet he was one of the worst last season.

I would say Milner has the place to lose at the moment. If Geremi comes in and does better knocking Milner onto the bench I will be more than happy but at the moment I would say Milner is the best right winger we have as we can't really judge Geremi yet.

I find the "Milner is the best right winger we have as we can't judge Gememi yet" a cop out tbh.

From watching Geremi last season at full back it was clear to see he was still as good going down the right at he was at Boro, different position I know but being a fullback for Chelsea meant he spent more time going forward than defending, I agree though that Milner deserves to keep his place to start with out of loyalty but that doesn't have any reflection on him being the better player.

As far as ability goes, Geremi is...

*Quicker

*Stronger

*A better crosser of the ball

*Better corner taker

*Better freekick taker

*Better movement in the box

*More direct

*Better defensively

*Better in the air

I'd say Milner has a few tricks to beat a man where as Geremi is more direct, feel free to pull me up on any of the above you don't agree with. :)