Other clubs' transfer deadline day discussion

GeordieDazzler

Well that was pointless, replacing Garcia with Benayoun...

I rate Benayoun, think he is more of a replacement for Zenden than Garcia though, good move. Although an expensive squad player, but they dont come cheap these days.

Well that was pointless, replacing Garcia with Benayoun...

Aye the window closes on 10th July doesn't it?  :razz:

I'm sure Rafa is looking at more players to bring in, in fact he said he wanted one or two, so he'll probably spend another £20m on them possibly more.

Guest optimistic nit

i'm worried for wigan. its not the fact they've wasted about 4 million on koumas (worth 1.5) but that they seem to believe the signings they've made so far signal ambition. They signal nowt, apart from that they have not bought a single premiership player so far.

i'm worried for wigan. its not the fact they've wasted about 4 million on koumas (worth 1.5) but that they seem to believe the signings they've made so far signal ambition. They signal nowt, apart from that they have not bought a single premiership player so far.

more than happy to see the horrible little fuckers relegated tbf!

TOTTENHAM

In.

Gareth Bale (Southampton - £5m)

Adel Taarabt (Lens - Undisclosed)

Darren Bent (Charlton - £16.5m)

Younes Kaboul (Auxerre - £8m)

Out.

Reto Ziegler (Sampdoria - £1.3m)

You forgot Yuri Berchiche (Athletic Bilbao - £150k)    :)

SSN say bale was sold for 10million

Is it not 5million now and the rest based on other things, like champs league spot, international games.

Roy eyeing £20million spree

By BEN KINSELLA

July 11, 2007

The mackems to spend 20m on one player - funny stuff.

ROY KEANE aims to rival Alex Ferguson’s stunning summer spending spree — insisting he would not bat an eyelid at splashing £20million on a target.

Manchester United chief Fergie has left other Premiership clubs trailing this summer by laying out £49m on Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson — with Carlos Tevez expected to join in a deal worth another £38m.

Keane’s current outlay is more modest than his former Old Trafford boss — just £4m on defenders Russell Anderson and Greg Halford ahead of Sunderland’s return to the big time.

But after failing with a £9m swoop for Jermain Defoe and pulling out of a £7m move for David Nugent, the Black Cats boss has shown he is not afraid to spend big.

Keane, 35, said: “I’d not have a problem spending big money — £8m, £10m or £20m — it wouldn’t worry me. I wouldn’t blink an eye.

“I’m hopeful in the next week or so that we’ll have another four or five players — names that will excite fans.

“We need a stronger squad because of the tests ahead. There’s no doubt we can compete in the market.

“It would be very easy for me to spend £15m in the next few days and grab the headlines but that’s not what my job’s about. I have to bring in the right characters.

“If I had to spend £10m on a player who I think can play a big part then we will.”

Keane is set to smash the club record £6.75m spent on Tore Andre Flo in 2002.

He admitted: “It’s a ferocious transfer market but there’s a lack of quality players.

“There’s a lot of money in the Premiership but that’s the way of the world. Not one player has turned us down this summer.”

Keane is determined to be a major player in the transfer market to ensure the Wearsiders lose their yo-yo tag and finally make their mark in the Premiership.

Tightening up his defence seems to be on Keane’s mind with a £3m move for Southampton’s Chris Baird expected to go through in the next 24 hours and an improved £5m bid on the table for Wigan’s Leighton Baines.

West Brom’s highly-rated Republic of Ireland Paul McShane is close to a £2.8m switch and £6m-rated Hearts keeper Craig Gordon is also a target.

The Guardian has some other choice quotes from the same interview...

"The fans, everyone, should just chill out and relax," Keane said. "Let me do my job, that is what I am paid very well to do. Everyone is getting worried about this and that, but you can't go on what other clubs have got. You have got to look at what we have got and we've got a great foundation to go and have a great season. I know we have to strengthen the squad, I am well aware of that."

Whole piece here http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2123372,00.html, along with a note that their lead target in the search for a striker is Michael Chopra...

TOTTENHAM

In.

Gareth Bale (Southampton - £5m)

Adel Taarabt (Lens - Undisclosed)

Darren Bent (Charlton - £16.5m)

Younes Kaboul (Auxerre - £8m)

Out.

Reto Ziegler (Sampdoria - £1.3m)

You forgot Yuri Berchiche (Athletic Bilbao - £150k)    :)

SSN say bale was sold for 10million

Is it not 5million now and the rest based on other things, like champs league spot, international games.

You're correct. :thup:

Roy eyeing £20million spree

By BEN KINSELLA

July 11, 2007

The mackems to spend 20m on one player - funny stuff.

ROY KEANE aims to rival Alex Ferguson’s stunning summer spending spree — insisting he would not bat an eyelid at splashing £20million on a target.

Manchester United chief Fergie has left other Premiership clubs trailing this summer by laying out £49m on Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson — with Carlos Tevez expected to join in a deal worth another £38m.

Keane’s current outlay is more modest than his former Old Trafford boss — just £4m on defenders Russell Anderson and Greg Halford ahead of Sunderland’s return to the big time.

But after failing with a £9m swoop for Jermain Defoe and pulling out of a £7m move for David Nugent, the Black Cats boss has shown he is not afraid to spend big.

Keane, 35, said: “I’d not have a problem spending big money — £8m, £10m or £20m — it wouldn’t worry me. I wouldn’t blink an eye.

“I’m hopeful in the next week or so that we’ll have another four or five players — names that will excite fans.

“We need a stronger squad because of the tests ahead. There’s no doubt we can compete in the market.

“It would be very easy for me to spend £15m in the next few days and grab the headlines but that’s not what my job’s about. I have to bring in the right characters.

“If I had to spend £10m on a player who I think can play a big part then we will.”

Keane is set to smash the club record £6.75m spent on Tore Andre Flo in 2002.

He admitted: “It’s a ferocious transfer market but there’s a lack of quality players.

“There’s a lot of money in the Premiership but that’s the way of the world. Not one player has turned us down this summer.”

Keane is determined to be a major player in the transfer market to ensure the Wearsiders lose their yo-yo tag and finally make their mark in the Premiership.

Tightening up his defence seems to be on Keane’s mind with a £3m move for Southampton’s Chris Baird expected to go through in the next 24 hours and an improved £5m bid on the table for Wigan’s Leighton Baines.

West Brom’s highly-rated Republic of Ireland Paul McShane is close to a £2.8m switch and £6m-rated Hearts keeper Craig Gordon is also a target.

Honestly, people like us, players rate us, no one has turned us down, were a big club am gonna spend £20m on one player if i need to coz am hard!

Sounding a bit desperate there Keane. If you want a £10m player, you'll have to pay him £100k a week to join a club with a tradition of going straight back down. He'll end up blowing all the Irish money on shite at this rate, although it might not be a bad idea to wipe out their record signing, that must hurt, Flo at nearly £7m!  mackems.gif mackems.gif mackems.gif