Other clubs' transfer deadline day discussion

GeordieDazzler

Guest optimistic nit

Roy eyeing £20million spree

By BEN KINSELLA

July 11, 2007

The mackems to spend 20m on one player - funny stuff.

ROY KEANE aims to rival Alex Fergusons stunning summer spending spree insisting he would not bat an eyelid at splashing £20million on a target.

Manchester United chief Fergie has left other Premiership clubs trailing this summer by laying out £49m on Owen Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson with Carlos Tevez expected to join in a deal worth another £38m.

Keanes current outlay is more modest than his former Old Trafford boss just £4m on defenders Russell Anderson and Greg Halford ahead of Sunderlands return to the big time.

But after failing with a £9m swoop for Jermain Defoe and pulling out of a £7m move for David Nugent, the Black Cats boss has shown he is not afraid to spend big.

Keane, 35, said: Id not have a problem spending big money £8m, £10m or £20m it wouldnt worry me. I wouldnt blink an eye.

Im hopeful in the next week or so that well have another four or five players names that will excite fans.

We need a stronger squad because of the tests ahead. Theres no doubt we can compete in the market.

It would be very easy for me to spend £15m in the next few days and grab the headlines but thats not what my jobs about. I have to bring in the right characters.

If I had to spend £10m on a player who I think can play a big part then we will.

Keane is set to smash the club record £6.75m spent on Tore Andre Flo in 2002.

He admitted: Its a ferocious transfer market but theres a lack of quality players.

Theres a lot of money in the Premiership but thats the way of the world. Not one player has turned us down this summer.

Keane is determined to be a major player in the transfer market to ensure the Wearsiders lose their yo-yo tag and finally make their mark in the Premiership.

Tightening up his defence seems to be on Keanes mind with a £3m move for Southamptons Chris Baird expected to go through in the next 24 hours and an improved £5m bid on the table for Wigans Leighton Baines.

West Broms highly-rated Republic of Ireland Paul McShane is close to a £2.8m switch and £6m-rated Hearts keeper Craig Gordon is also a target.

shit, it looks like the mackems want Shola! :frantic:

KEANE TO UP GORDON OFFER - REPORT

Sunderland have reportedly made an offer totalling £8million for Hearts goalkeeper Craig Gordon.

Black Cats boss Roy Keane has been consistently linked with the Scotland number one throughout the summer as he attempts to build a side capable of surviving in the Premier League after winning promotion last season.

Hearts assistant boss Stephen Frail previously valued Gordon at £10million, but Sunderland are hoping to tempt Hearts into selling their top asset for £5million with an additional £3million in add-ons which would make him the most expensive goalkeeper in British history, according to the Edinburgh Evening News.

Sportinglife.com

:o

Guest Dr. Pongle

Portsmouth to confim

Nugent and Utaka as new signings.

pompey are gonna have about 5 strikers... but come january Nugent will be leading the line by himself for 6 games. :lol:

I reckon Pompey's new Utaka is better than Sunderland's new Utaka.

Guest nufc 4 life

tried to start a thread on this, bt didn't work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/6292088.stm

Portsmouth capture striker Utaka 

Nigeria striker John Utaka has joined Portsmouth

Portsmouth have completed the signing of Nigerian striker John Utaka from Rennes for an undisclosed fee.

Utaka, 25, joins the south coast club on a four-year deal, having scored 10 goals in 35 appearances in the French League last season.

The Nigerian international said: "I've dreamed of playing in the Premier League and this is a great opportunity.

"I spoke to Kanu, who was my national team captain, and he told me it was a great place to come."

Utaka was unveiled alongside England striker David Nugent.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp said: "John has got the frigthening attribute of pace.

"I'm delighted with the pair of them, they will give us an awful lot up front.

"We're bringing in people who are ready to play and it will make us stronger."

Utaka admitted he had other options before signing for Pompey.

He said: "Manchester United and Newcastle were trying to sign me.

"But Harry made the effort to come over to Rennes to watch me and I had to respect that."

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=476416&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Utaka+claims+double+interest

John Utaka has revealed two Premiership clubs were interested in him prior to signing for Portsmouth.

The Nigeria international penned a four-year deal with Pompey on Wednesday for an undisclosed fee.

However, the South Coast side were not the only interested party as they beat off competition from Manchester City and Newcastle United for his signature.

It was manager Harry Redknapp's perseverance and determination to land Utaka that persuaded the pacey striker to join Pompey.

"There was Manchester City then there was Newcastle interested in me," confirmed Utaka.

"I chose Portsmouth because Harry was more interested in me.

"He came over to watch me play for Rennes and this was very important."

Utaka believes Pompey have the talent to qualify for Europe next season.

"I hope to qualify for Europe. With the players we have anything is possible in football," he added.

Stephen Appiah quted as saying he wants West Ham move.

Parker and Appiah as CM's. Thats one combo bursting with creativity :lol:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=476330&CPID=8&clid=21&lid=2&title=Appiah+wants+West+Ham+talks

He say's Fener should listen to West Hams offer and other offers made (doesn't sound like he's exactly got his heart set on West Ham). Reason given for wanting a move  to England is for his childrens education. We should put in a bid.

Stephen Appiah quted as saying he wants West Ham move.

Parker and Appiah as CM's. Thats one combo bursting with creativity :lol:

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=476330&CPID=8&clid=21&lid=2&title=Appiah+wants+West+Ham+talks

He say's Fener should listen to West Hams offer and other offers made (doesn't sound like he's exactly got his heart set on West Ham). Reason given for wanting a move   to England is for his childrens education. We should put in a bid.

Agree. Rather him than Diarra

He said: "Manchester United   and Newcastle were trying to sign me.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=476416&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Utaka+claims+double+interest

However, the South Coast side were not the only interested party as they beat off competition from Manchester City and Newcastle United for his signature.

Quite a difference between Man City and Man United wanting you. 

He said: "Manchester United   and Newcastle were trying to sign me.

Quite a difference between Man City and Man United wanting you. 

But with a choice of Citeh, Newcastle and Pompey surprised he opted for Pompey.

Got the feeling from watching that any interest from City and Newcastle was a thing of the past. He was asked who else came in for him - "Manchester City and then Newcastle" his exact words. I believe he was talking about interest from Pearce and Roeder. ???

Got the feeling from watching that any interest from City and Newcastle was a thing of the past. He was asked who else came in for him - "Manchester City and then Newcastle" his exact words. I believe he was talking about interest from Pearce and Roeder. ???

If he had talks with those two, he would have been walking away shaking his head afterwards.

If he had talks with those two, he would have been walking away shaking his head afterwards.

He would have said to them both, "Utaka the p*ss or what?"