Summer spending fun

madras
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

just a bit of fun.

so we have a billionaire owner yet with just on 4 weeks till the new season starts and the likes of fulham,wigan and the mackems have out spent us (net).will this be the trend or are we set for a blast of keeganesque transfers?

yes i know that i have the options till the end of the window yet talk about the season starting.

Guest leon b

I would like to see us spend a decent amount on a playmaker,leftback and defensive midfielder.Not sure big sam will splash the cash as he seems to be spending very wisely and not just for the sake of it.

May analyse just make nice solid signing to see how we get on at first, we have decent attacking quality as it stands(other than at the back)

Guest Guinness

Going purely off what we've seen in the transfer market so far I don't think we'll spend much, maybe around £5-£10m

No more than £10M - except if the likes of a Top Shelf attacking player such as Deco, Gudjonsen is available.

Agree with this, think it'll be 5-10M unless we can pull something out of the bag in which case the money will be made available.

Billionaires become billionaires because they're good with money and they know how to make it turn into more money**.

I think that the assumption that a billionaire owner is going to pour huge amounts into a club is a dodgy one - they're not altruistic, they're in it for a reason, they think they can have a bit of fun and make some money. Much more fun that running a chain of sports shops or a credit card company. Has Ashley bought Newcastle because he used to stand on the Gallowgate as a kid? No. Did Lerner buy Villa because he remembered the 82 EC winning team? No. Abramovich bought Chelsea partly as a life insurance policy, an entirely different agenda to the other PL billionaires.

Expectations are now linked to the Abramovich factor, in that although we all know there will never be another spender on his level, we all like to think our owners will want their spending to "look" impressive by comparison and will thus spend money with a diminished regard to its value. This is, in my opinion, naive.

I'm not saying that having a billionaire owner is nothing to be pleased with, it is, I'm saying it will be interesting to see how they act over the coming years, and that the assumption that just because they've got shit loads of cash they're going to spaff it on players every year is a dodgy one.

** or they inherit it, obv.

EDIT incidentally, the whole focus on 'how much will we spend' is wrong from the start. It matters *who* you buy with it. How much would Jagielka, Smith, Richardson, and Harewood cost in total? Not far off 20m? How much do Spurs want for Defoe? 18m? That's a lot of money but I'd be equally as fucked off with my club if it spent its money like that as I would if it spent no money at all.

10 - 15m

Hope Martins stays

Need new LB and another CB, might get a MID depending on who comes avalible.

Even with the Deco stuff and the trial, there has been a real cool down in signing info since Geremi, though they went to Austria...

Is nobody a bit concerned that if we only buy one more CB we're going to be left short in defence - once again? I don't fancy seeing Ramage as our fourth choice again because when you put players of his 'calibre' in the heart of your defence you're liable to drop points. He's simply nowhere near the level we're aiming for and to think that one injury would put him on the brink of the first team would be worrying.

If we really are building from the back then we need two more central defenders, plus a left back. Until we've got them in then I wouldn't call this a successful transfer window.

Guest tbelcher11

I mean, we've spent what, 2 mil (?) and made some pretty big signings.  We could go ahead and "blow" another, say, 10 mil and pick up some quality players.  Didn't Ashley give about 50 mil for acquisitions?  I think we'll be sitting pretty come august.  Then January should be another pretty good time to pick up some players. 

Billionaires become billionaires because they're good with money and they know how to make it turn into more money**.

I think that the assumption that a billionaire owner is going to pour huge amounts into a club is a dodgy one - they're not altruistic, they're in it for a reason, they think they can have a bit of fun and make some money. Much more fun that running a chain of sports shops or a credit card company. Has Ashley bought Newcastle because he used to stand on the Gallowgate as a kid? No. Did Lerner buy Villa because he remembered the 82 EC winning team? No. Abramovich bought Chelsea partly as a life insurance policy, an entirely different agenda to the other PL billionaires.

Expectations are now linked to the Abramovich factor, in that although we all know there will never be another spender on his level, we all like to think our owners will want their spending to "look" impressive by comparison and will thus spend money with a diminished regard to its value. This is, in my opinion, naive.

I'm not saying that having a billionaire owner is nothing to be pleased with, it is, I'm saying it will be interesting to see how they act over the coming years, and that the assumption that just because they've got s*** loads of cash they're going to spaff it on players every year is a dodgy one.

** or they inherit it, obv.

EDIT incidentally, the whole focus on 'how much will we spend' is wrong from the start. It matters *who* you buy with it. How much would Jagielka, Smith, Richardson, and Harewood cost in total? Not far off 20m? How much do Spurs want for Defoe? 18m? That's a lot of money but I'd be equally as f***** off with my club if it spent its money like that as I would if it spent no money at all.

I completely agree, and it's the most realistic assessment i've read here as far as offering some sort of look at a future - re: transfer market spending - for Newcastle United under Ashley.

On a billionaire scale Ambramovich is in a totally different league as opposed to smaller scale tycoons like Lerner and Ashley who are reportedly worth 5 billion or less. Although Lerner inherited his wealth, Ashley unlike Roman A didn't just stumble on a massive oil reserve and subsequently sell his oil interests to a national government. In effect Ambramovich has struck it rich twice and with his 10-15b estimated worth could fund his plaything's - ie. Chelsea - summer spending sprees with the interest alone.

It's interesting that you brought up the varying agendas pertaining to these billionare owners. It's a relevant point. Ambramovich's spending power alone, and with it Chelsea's muscle in the transfer market, is just about unrivalled if 'player pulling power' was solely based on a club's capacity to fork out wages. But the crux of the argument and should credit should go to Ambramovich here  because unlike Lerner - and perhaps Ashley will fall into the same category as Villa's boss - he has seemingly embraced the club itself. How many games will Ashley attend as compared to Roman's attendance rate since the Russian took power of the Londoners? It remains to be seen doesn't it.

This lack of connection with the club itself, coupled with Ashley's relatively small scale net worth when stacked alongside Roman's fortune, has made me extremely sceptical of the stuff coming out lately ie. Toffee papers reporting "50mill annual transfer kittys over 5 seasons" and Mort saying stuff like "Ashley wants to make a big splash in the transfer market... and soon".

IMO there's alot of hot air being blown around at the moment, especially from this Mort character. He's making all the right noises - just as Lerner's team did ie. stuff like "understanding the area/the club culture, and with it the need to attain on-field succes" - but until Ashley's team back it up with substance that's all it remains.... cheap talk.

Sir John Hall can go on about how Ashley's team was the 'right team to hand NUFC's future over to', and that's why he finally offloaded his familie's collective shareholding but imo it's down to this hedge/pension fund - ie. the subject of the earlier & ill-fated takeover - not offering what Ashley was able to and Shepherd's lack of financial clout in terms of not being able to buy the Halls out in one single hit. The Halls - ie Cameron Hall PTY - have been in the financial s*** for about 7 years now and they needed to get out, quickly and for the best possible price. They weren't prepared to wait for Shepherd who was buying tiny amounts of shares, at intervals that were few and far between. There's alot of hot fart gas being spouted off recently, both from Ashley's camp and SJH.

As for the future itself - ie. transfer market spending - and this is my take on the matter, i don't think we're in a much better off position as compared to the position we would've found ourselves in had Polygon got their hands on the club.