No Galacticos but good solid defenders needed - Big Sam

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest leon b

To be honest i'd love to see us spend a few mil as a statement of intent....... but only on the right players.I think big sam is beefing out the squad with good solid pro's to give us the stabilty we need.

I for one am pleased to see us being astute for once, when sam does does spend big i want it to be on a player or players that make the other prem teams piss themselves through fear and not laughter.

I miss that feeling of knowing teams are scared of us.

Guest 22bnw

If Big Sam says there will be four more defenders, I for one believe him. Theres none of this 'patience' or 'transfers take a long time' rubbish from Allardyce. When he arrived he said, "we'll hopefully get 5 or 6 players in" but he's already signed four and wants four more, so its not like last year when Roeder went from wanting a brand new defence to not actually bringing any defenders in. We got in there early and got four new players, but now everyone has joined in and things take a little longer. On the subject on quality, Sam ain't stupid, he wasn't interested in Quedreue.

He talks about how he is losing his targets quickly, but this won't be due to lack of funding. Bridge is injured, Beye has commited his future to Marseille, Edmilson is too much of a risk at this stage, Ben Haim and Sidwell chose the easy life at Chelsea...there are so many other reasons that we are struggling to sign players quickly, and the fact the we have a billionaire owner makes it even more unlikely that funds aren't available. Its all very well having money, but you've got to convince the players to leave their clubs. We finished 13th and we aren't in Europe, so the standard of players we can attract drops.

Guest nufcfan76

I'd still splash the cash for Gabby and pursuade him to come here, but good to know Fulum's own Le Sulk v 2.0 is off the list.

Guest leon b

sensible post there mate, sam seems very sure of the type of player and quality he wants, which can only be a good thing for us.

The truth is, there is no way we will get exactly what we need in this window, but progress is progress and i believe wre getting there slowly and hopefully surely.

the reality is that we aren't currently capable of signing world class players cos we are a team that has languished in mid table for the last few years.

what we need is for Sam to build a squad that will get us back to being a decent side and then we might atract some big name players who actually want to play for us rather than just take their wages and do sweet FA.

from what I can see Sam is fully aware of the situation we are in and is making an effort to sign players who will do a job and get mucked in. People like Heinze will be wanted by some of the best sides in Europe. Why would they want to come here ?

SA is being open and honest about our transfer policy. Which is a refreshing change given the bullshit that has been spouted in the past.

Guest 22bnw

the reality is that we aren't currently capable of signing world class players cos we are a team that has languished in mid table for the last few years.

what we need is for Sam to build a squad that will get us back to being a decent side and then we might atract some big name players who actually want to play for us rather than just take their wages and do sweet FA.

from what I can see Sam is fully aware of the situation we are in and is making an effort to sign players who will do a job and get mucked in. People like Heinze will be wanted by some of the best sides in Europe. Why would they want to come here ?

SA is being open and honest about our transfer policy. Which is a refreshing change given the bullshit that has been spouted in the past.

:clap:

Guest leon b

to be honest although our priority is defenders at the minute we really need someone who will get on the ball and make us tick, any chance of emre stepping up this season?

Guest leon b

maybe deco could be the dude to set our tempo, only thing is he'd have to get protection from the other around him in order to function, especially in the prem.

If Big Sam says there will be four more defenders, I for one believe him. Theres none of this 'patience' or 'transfers take a long time' rubbish from Allardyce. When he arrived he said, "we'll hopefully get 5 or 6 players in" but he's already signed four and wants four more, so its not like last year when Roeder went from wanting a brand new defence to not actually bringing any defenders in. We got in there early and got four new players, but now everyone has joined in and things take a little longer. On the subject on quality, Sam ain't stupid, he wasn't interested in Quedreue.

He talks about how he is losing his targets quickly, but this won't be due to lack of funding. Bridge is injured, Beye has commited his future to Marseille, Edmilson is too much of a risk at this stage, Ben Haim and Sidwell chose the easy life at Chelsea...there are so many other reasons that we are struggling to sign players quickly, and the fact the we have a billionaire owner makes it even more unlikely that funds aren't available. Its all very well having money, but you've got to convince the players to leave their clubs. We finished 13th and we aren't in Europe, so the standard of players we can attract drops.

Couldn't agree more, mate.  Well said.  The players will come when we've gotten back to being consistent and up amongst the "Big Boys". 

Guest optimistic nit

:clap:

Glad the Queudrue rumour has been dismissed, he'd do as a last resort but I think we can do better.

Quite an honest interview that, it doesn't matter if it's mid July or mid-August, the targets are running out all the time and you do have to act quickly. A lot of players renew contracts at this time of year while many others move clubs, which is why I'm glad we got in there when we did in June. It's a case of keep up the good work, really. As he says, it's not about galacticos but we do need very good players - there is a difference!

I think there might be more to some of these quotes than first meets the eye, I suppose it all depends on what angle you look at it from. I'll quote the OP and add comments of my own, with each comment don't read it on it's own but rather as part of all the comments taken together.

Allardyce rules out 'galactico' arrival

He said: "Without any reassurances in that area yet, I am confident if they need any convincing, I can convince them that a heavy investment needs to be made in terms of the transfer market.

Mort's recent interview did state funds were available, but as I recall the statement was never really clear, it was more like it was being hinted at rather than categorically stated. From Sam's opening comment here I think that atm he doesn't know how much might be available overall but he has a few million guaranteed. (5? 8? 10? who knows?)

"He made a massive, heavy investment in the first place which is hopefully, in the short term and the long term, great news for Newcastle United and for me.

He (Ashley) has already spent a lot of money but I don't know what's going on other than that.

"We are all hoping we can move in the transfer market and bring some good players to the football club. I am not talking about the 'galactico' stars that are being mentioned - that is just a nonsense at the moment."

Dismissed all paper talk about Galactico type players but later mentions them again.

"We need three or four solid, very, very good defenders from wherever it may be, and we will be a force this year. But we need to get them first. If he wants to give me a little gift after with a galactico, I won't say no."

Who is he reminding here what we need, the fans? Unlikely. The press? No way. He seems to be making a public statement to the new owners. I think Sam has been frustrated in his attempts to sign defenders. The further reference to Galactico players could be a veiled reference to the fact that there is some truth to the paper talk. The new owners do want a player of that calibre, and that could also be why Sam doesn't have much money to spend as they are holding a huge reserve for this (?) player. Is Sam reminding the new owners, who, let us not forget, know nothing about running a football club, where the priorities lie?

He said: "We have other targets, but in terms of top targets, the list is running out rather rapidly now."

A further public reminder for the new owners regarding priorities?

He has dismissed suggestions he is in talks with Fulham's Franck Queudrue, and admits his interest in Manchester United's Gabriel Heinze is unlikely to pay dividends.

Allardyce said: "I wouldn't say we have any interest in Franck Queudrue.

"Heinze - if I wanted him, I don't think he would come. I think he would have hit sights on a greater club than this one.

"Certainly, if he got away from Manchester United, I'm not so sure that it wouldn't be another club somewhere else in Europe rather than in this country.

"It would be nice if he did want to come and we could pursue it, but I don't think we can."

I don't know what that is about. Strange comments to make regarding Heinze.

This is just my take on things and could be way off the facts.

And the former Bolton boss also said that a summer move for Barcelona's Edmilson was not an option given the player's recent knee operation which could see him sidelined until November.

"Edmmilson is obviously not for now because the injury is a concern," he added.

"We May have to wait until January and its's a great shame for a player of his ability and talent."

"But saying that I think we would've faced competition from the likes of AC MIlan and Inter, although there still might be the opportunity to sign him."

From .co.uk

Looks like we were actually legitimately after him. Seems like Sam is having an "everythings going wrong, Im depressed and everyone hates me" kinda day!

"We are all hoping we can move in the transfer market and bring some good players to the football club.

"I am not talking about the 'galactico' stars that are being mentioned - that is just a nonsense at the moment.

"We need three or four solid, very, very good defenders from wherever it may be, and we will be a force this year.

"But we need to get them first. If he wants to give me a little gift after with a galactico, I won't say no."

Clear as a bell. "We need good solid defenders NOT superstars to sell shirts"

That's how I read it.

What has been impressive about Sam Allardyce is his pursuit of targets who he has identified early on. Some have come off, some haven't, like Beye and Haim but Allardyce's clarity in knowing what he needs is so refreshing. Great job so far  :clap: