No Galacticos but good solid defenders needed - Big Sam

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest BooBoo

It is hard to think what "very, very good" defenders with premiership experience that Allardyce wants and who we could really get are.

Was saying the same thing today. All i could really come up with (and being realistic in who we could sign) was Campbell, Hyypia, Heinze.

It is hard to think what "very, very good" defenders with premiership experience that Allardyce wants and who we could really get are.

Was saying the same thing today. All i could really come up with (and being realistic in who we could sign) was Campbell, Hyypia, Heinze.

I had Campbell and Brown (although he isnt everyones cup of tea I think he is a good defender). Didn't really think of Heinze as he is out of our reach (imo). Would take big money to get one of the better Everton defenders but arent they supposed to be a bit short of cash. Cant see Villa selling Mellberg now.

Guest BooBoo

Although he's only had one year in ethe top flight, i'd be disappointed if we didnt make an inquiry for Nicky Shorey. I see today that West Ham are sniffing round.

Although he's only had one year in ethe top flight, i'd be disappointed if we didnt make an inquiry for Nicky Shorey. I see today that West Ham are sniffing round.

Wasn't that for £8m?

Would be happy to pay for it if he had been putting in those sort of performances for the last few years in the Premiership but with one season there is just as much chance he will flop. A lot of average players in the team overperformed I reckon. Look at West Ham last season.

Wasn't that for £8m?

£8m for Shorey? Jesus.

The longer it takes to sign a few defenders the more I can see these prices creeping up in an already crazy market. As left sided defenders are a rarer breed, if we haven't found one soon I can see us being made to shell out a bomb. This is what Allardyce is getting on about in his interviews, the quicker we act the more options available and the better our bargaining position. Noone wants to sell their players a week or two before the window shuts, it leaves them screwed so they expect you to pay top dollar to compensate for that.

Wasn't that for £8m?

£8m for Shorey? Jesus.

The longer it takes to sign a few defenders the more I can see these prices creeping up in an already crazy market. As left sided defenders are a rarer breed, if we haven't found one soon I can see us being made to shell out a bomb. This is what Allardyce is getting on about in his interviews, the quicker we act the more options available and the better our bargaining position. Noone wants to sell their players a week or two before the window shuts, it leaves them screwed so they expect you to pay top dollar to compensate for that.

That's how we ended up paying 8m too much for Boumsong :D

Campbell, Heinze, Gareth Barry, Micah Richards, Wes Brown, Mellberg, Luke Young, Baines, Shorey, Volz

That's about all i can think of (that i would like us to sign).

Campbell I think is possible.

Heinze I don't think we have much chance.

Don't think Villa would sell Barry and don't think he is much of a defender anymore.

Richards no chance as they wouldn't sell unless they got a really crazy price and then it would be to someone better than us.

Brown is another one I think is possible.

Mellberg would take a big bid given their new money.

Young is definitely possible as is Baines, not liking the recent prices being touted for Shorey and I think Volz would be possible even though he recently signed a new contract.

Wasn't that for £8m?

£8m for Shorey? Jesus.

The longer it takes to sign a few defenders the more I can see these prices creeping up in an already crazy market. As left sided defenders are a rarer breed, if we haven't found one soon I can see us being made to shell out a bomb.

The English market is crazily over-priced. With Allardyce's contacts I would have thought he could bring in better value options from abroad. Ideally we'd prefer Prem experience, but there's no point in paying daft prices through desperation.

Read an article from Allardyce today talking about the defence and how he wants to win games 1-0 instead of having to score 3-4... Soo glad Vic can't post in this forum at the moment :lol: still expect some kneejerks from people about "boring football".

Wasn't that for £8m?

£8m for Shorey? Jesus.

The longer it takes to sign a few defenders the more I can see these prices creeping up in an already crazy market. As left sided defenders are a rarer breed, if we haven't found one soon I can see us being made to shell out a bomb.

The English market is crazily over-priced. With Allardyce's contacts I would have thought he could bring in better value options from abroad. Ideally we'd prefer Prem experience, but there's no point in paying daft prices through desperation.

either way,it's all gone very quiet rumour wise on defenders...........i hope this is a good sign

i'm getting a little concerned with the defense.. again.. as some have said there aren't really many good defenders who have premiership experience in the market and we'll have to pay silly money to get whoever's available..

i think that would take Sam abroad.. but the thing is buying a defender with no premiership experience or one that doesn't know the language will be a big risk, cause technical ability isn't all that important for CBs.. the main thing is to form an adequate understanding with their defensive partners and that would take time if we buy a foreign CB..

Guest BooBoo

I think last summers Roeder/ Striker tomfoolery has made me more nervous, but I'm at the stage where i'm irritated by the lack of any incoming defender news on the bbc gossip column.

I think last summers Roeder/ Striker tomfoolery has made me more nervous, but I'm at the stage where i'm irritated by the lack of any incoming defender news on the bbc gossip column.

Here you go...

nufc.co.uk

IT'S been a very quiet week with regards to any new names being linked with a move to St.James' Park.

Big Sam reiterated his determination to bring more defenders to United in the run-up to the Hartlepool game, but said that the arrival of Fulham's Franck Quedrue or Man Utd's Gabriel Heinze were both unlikely.

The majority of this morning's national papers report that West Ham are set to make a bid for Kieron Dyer after their new French winger Julien Faubert was ruled out for six months with a ruptured Achilles tendon yesterday.

The Journal however reports that the England midfielder is happy on Tyneside and wants to remain at Gallowgate next season.

While The Telegraph carry a story saying that Bayern Munich, Hertha Berlin and Fenerbahce are all lining up a bid for Turkish playmaker Emre.

Guest BooBoo

Here you go...

nufc.co.uk

IT'S been a very quiet week with regards to any new names being linked with a move to St.James' Park.

Big Sam reiterated his determination to bring more defenders to United in the run-up to the Hartlepool game, but said that the arrival of Fulham's Franck Quedrue or Man Utd's Gabriel Heinze were both unlikely.

The majority of this morning's national papers report that West Ham are set to make a bid for Kieron Dyer after their new French winger Julien Faubert was ruled out for six months with a ruptured Achilles tendon yesterday.

The Journal however reports that the England midfielder is happy on Tyneside and wants to remain at Gallowgate next season.

While The Telegraph carry a story saying that Bayern Munich, Hertha Berlin and Fenerbahce are all lining up a bid for Turkish playmaker Emre.

>:(

i'm getting a little concerned with the defense.. again.. as some have said there aren't really many good defenders who have premiership experience in the market and we'll have to pay silly money to get whoever's available..

i think that would take Sam abroad.. but the thing is buying a defender with no premiership experience or one that doesn't know the language will be a big risk, cause technical ability isn't all that important for CBs.. the main thing is to form an adequate understanding with their defensive partners and that would take time if we buy a foreign CB..

Take faith from this man.  Sam did the above at Bolton.  Who on earth had heard of Abadolaye Meite (sp?) before he turned up?  He still turned out better than half the pack of jokers Roeder had on our pitch

Take faith from this man.  Sam did the above at Bolton.  Who on earth had heard of Abadolaye Meite (sp?) before he turned up?  He still turned out better than half the pack of jokers Roeder had on our pitch

and yet that pack of jokers managed to concede 5 less than Bolton last season.  ???

Here you go...

nufc.co.uk

>:(

Emre & Bayern....again!

I'm getting a bit frustrated at us not making any moves for some much needed defenders. After the Beye rejection it seems we've just ground to a halt, and are not doing enough to get our spending back on track. Takeover & new manager, and we've laid out £1.5m, wow, let the good times roll.

I'd be quite happy to see the back of Emre & Dyer for the right prices £6m+ for each, and spend the lot on one key AMC, but they way we are going we'd just sell them and not bother replacing them.

Emre & Bayern....again!

I'm getting a bit frustrated at us not making any moves for some much needed defenders. After the Beye rejection it seems we've just ground to a halt, and are not doing enough to get our spending back on track. Takeover & new manager, and we've laid out £1.5m, wow, let the good times roll.

I'd be quite happy to see the back of Emre & Dyer for the right prices £6m+ for each, and spend the lot on one key AMC, but they way we are going we'd just sell them and not bother replacing them.

Emre to Bayern and Lahm coming the other way, if only.

Emre & Bayern....again!

Emre to Bayern and Lahm coming the other way, if only.

Would be great. Or a Swap between Emre and Appiah, would do also..

Guest Obafan

Sol Campbell played normally last season in Newcastle, but our manager at that time, Mr Roeder thought he was too old for us. How stupid can a manager be!!! I think if we could get him, he would do 2 things;

1. leading our defence in a solid way and perhaps scoring a few headers.

2. giving advice to youngsters (Taylor, Huntington, Edgar) and to new boy Rozehnal (who will be a very good defender for us (I know him from his time in Bruges and I'm sure all NUFC fans will love him in a few months).

So why not bidding for him and build a good solid defence around him.