Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

This whole "deserves his shot" craic is nothing but sentimental horse s***.

Well said, this comment will go down like a s*** sarnie with most people on here though.

Even though people are justifying getting rid of Harper because Krul/Forster 'deserve their shot'? :lol:

Calling Harper sh!t shows how absolutely spoiled many of our supporters have been for over a decade now. He's a very good keeper. We are even more spoiled in that we have two good young prospects on our books.

What happened to all the Harper for England stuff a short while ago?

Harpers more like a sloth these days like. Everything he does is in slow motion like there's not a worry in the world. I do like him though.

There's no chance Krul or Forster will be number 1 next season. It simply wouldn't happen, imo. Won't have even crossed Hughtons mind.

Well said, this comment will go down like a s*** sarnie with most people on here though.

Even though people are justifying getting rid of Harper because Krul/Forster 'deserve their shot'? :lol:

Pair of them are better keepers though, thats why the deserve their shot, not for sitting on the bench for 10 years.

Calling Harper sh!t shows how absolutely spoiled many of our supporters have been for over a decade now. He's a very good keeper. We are even more spoiled in that we have two good young prospects on our books.

Cali - We another two good young prospects below them two in Ole & Jak.

Pair of them are better keepers though, thats why the deserve their shot, not for sitting on the bench for 10 years.

How do you know they are better keepers if they haven't had their shot yet? ???

:lol:

What experiences do they have that prove they are better keepers? A good season in League One, one heroic game several years ago? Dear me. Hopefully one day soon both of them will be and hopefully both get their chances but neither deserve to be No1 next season, not even close.

What experiences do they have that prove they are better keepers? A good season in League One, one heroic game several years ago? Dear me. Hopefully one day soon both of them will be and hopefully both get their chances but neither deserve to be No1 next season, not even close.

Harpers done what exactly to deserve his spot?

Harpers done what exactly to deserve his spot?

No, hang on, I asked first, what makes these two deserve the No1 spot, and above Harper? You haven't got an answer because there isn't one.

Harper is our best and most experienced keeper, had a good season last time round and is rightly viewed as our No1 for next season bar any signings. He's limited and in the premiership average, but those two are unproven with no experience at this level while the defenders will simply not have the confidence in them as they already do in Harper.

Why would we sell Harper? Its stupid, we wouldnt get loads of money for him and would lose our best goalkeeper in the process. He is also the only keeper we have that is decent in the long term. Its ok seeing Krul as a good keeper, but we dont know what he is like over a whole season.

:facepalm: Harper was great last season... why on earth would anyone want rid of him... thought he made everything look simple and communicated well...  he isn't world class! but he's the least of our problems.

Although not perfect David James is a lot better than a lot on here will give him credit for. Some seem to be stuck in a time warp when discussing him.

I like Harper but James is much better keeper.

James currently is a step up, no doubt about it. Thing is with James is he's always been on the verge to go downhill, it hasn't happened even after several moves where I've thought that's him done (if anything he's got better) so knowing our luck we'd sell Harper and sign him in the season of decline. Without doubt. 

Guest Antigalican

We need a season of steady consolidation, so taking unecessary risks shouldn't be in the thought process.

If Harper goes, he must be replaced by someone like James - a really experienced PL keeper.

In a season where we must absolutely stay up at all costs, absolutely noone on here can justify going into this campaign with just 2 young and inexperienced goalkeepers. It'd be suicide.

Burnley boss Brian Laws is planning transfer talks with a new goalkeeper on Wednesday as he looks to further bolster his squad.

As revealed by skysports.com last weekend, Burnley have lined up a season-long loan deal for Newcastle shot-stopper Fraser Forster.

Talks are believed to be at an advanced stage with Burnley just waiting for Newcastle to give the green light to let Forster go out on loan.

Laws has made no secret of his desire to sign another keeper to provide further competition for Brian Jensen and he hopes to have the new man on board before the Clarets fly out for their three-match trip to Singapore.

"I said on Saturday that we hoped to have further progress and I have done," said Laws.

"We have been in contact again and I am meeting the player on Wednesday. Hopefully we can get everything signed, sealed and delivered for our tour on Saturday.

"Fingers crossed, the talks and everything else will go well. Barring any disasters we are feeling pretty confident."

Very harsh, but I wouldn't be too dissapointed to see him go myself.

Can we rely on the younger two in a season probably battling to avoid relegation though? Neither have anywhere near enough experience yet to say they definitely should be starting in the Premier League regularly.

The only experience Harper has of the Premier League is mainly of sitting on the bench, tbf.

06-07
name    games   shots   conceded    shots per goal  goals per shot  shots per game  save %  goals per game
Harper  16.1    72      18          4               0.25            4.48            75      1.12
Given   20.9    98      27          3.63            0.28            4.69            72      1.29

07-08
name    games   shots   conceded    shots per goal  goals per shot  shots per game  save %  goals per game
Harper  19.9    103     28          3.68            0.27            5.17            73      1.41
Given   18.1    91      37          2.46            0.41            5.03            59      2.05

08-09
Harper  16      83      22          3.77            0.27            5.19            73      1.38
Given   22      109     37          2.95            0.34            4.95            66      1.68

3 seasons. Played half the games. Consistently better record than Given behind the same defence/midfield. If Harper's so shit, he must just be luckiest keeper in the game. I couldn't give a shit about people's subjective opinions of Harper, objectively the facts show he's at least as good as Given was, and while Given was massively overrated IMO, for now at least that's good enough for me.

Selling an experienced and consistent keeper and relying on 2 youngsters would be absolute madness unless there were significant financial reasons for it. Unbelievable some of the shit people come out with on here.

Harper's form tailed off in the 2nd half of last season for sure.What NUT says makes perfect sense to me tbh.

Yeah, if his form had a dip towards the end of the season, he's finished.

How about not messing with the spot that depends most on stability when it's the least (or second least) of our problems?