Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Guest CheickMansour

I would be lovely to have him come back and act as able deputy to Krul for the next few years but realistically that's never going to happen. The Given/Harper situation came about because Harps lacked the ambition to look elsewhere when Shay had a stranglehold on the number 1 shirt. Forster has already made it pretty clear that he's not willing to sit on the bench because it doesn't benefit him or the club. Farming him out on loan yet again probably wont solve the situation because he's approaching an age where he'll want stability so he can focus on his game. I'd let him go permanantly if Celtic came back with an offer closer to £3 million.

To be fair, didn't Harps say that he was constantly looking for other opportunities during his time on the bench? It's just that he never kicked up a fuss when they didn't go through.

To be honest though he's hardly going to say otherwise is he? In Sir Bobby's autobiography he talks about how they made Harper so well paid because the club and Harper knew he was number 2, so paid him more than the going rate to keep him.

Fair enough. I have to admit I never knew about that, but if it's true then it seems more likely that Harps was going to stay put all along.  :undecided:

I would be lovely to have him come back and act as able deputy to Krul for the next few years but realistically that's never going to happen. The Given/Harper situation came about because Harps lacked the ambition to look elsewhere when Shay had a stranglehold on the number 1 shirt. Forster has already made it pretty clear that he's not willing to sit on the bench because it doesn't benefit him or the club. Farming him out on loan yet again probably wont solve the situation because he's approaching an age where he'll want stability so he can focus on his game. I'd let him go permanantly if Celtic came back with an offer closer to £3 million.

To be fair, didn't Harps say that he was constantly looking for other opportunities during his time on the bench? It's just that he never kicked up a fuss when they didn't go through.

To be honest though he's hardly going to say otherwise is he? In Sir Bobby's autobiography he talks about how they made Harper so well paid because the club and Harper knew he was number 2, so paid him more than the going rate to keep him.

On the subject of Harper and ambition, Harper got to play Champions League football and an FA Cup final during his time here, its doubtful that he would've got that elsewhere even if he would've been a no. 1.

Selling Harper is a weird one. He's been a hell of a servant to the club, and has earned the number 1 jersey. Selling Krul would also be ridiculous, as we can probably hang onto a future star or sell him later on for millions that Ashley can count as interest on the money he's pumped into the club.

Keeping Forster is a weird one because... ah f--- it all. I can't make up my mind.

Why do I get the impression that Ashley's negotiating techniques are like Homer Simpson in the Rosebud episode?

"Reject the first offer, reject the first offer."

"Can I offer you £1.5m?"

"Sorry Celtic, no deal!"

"Don't worry Neil, it won't take long for him to crack"

"Gotta call Celtic! I might still be able to get that derisory fee!"

Why do I get the impression that Ashley's negotiating techniques are like Homer Simpson in the Rosebud episode?

"Reject the first offer, reject the first offer."

"Can I offer you £1.5m?"

"Sorry Celtic, no deal!"

"Don't worry Neil, it won't take long for him to crack"

"Gotta call Celtic! I might still be able to get that derisory fee!"

???

Yeah that is certainly how it has played out historically, buy high, sell 'em on for a pittance is Ashley's raison d'être in a nutshell. :lol: