Winning & producing performances in friendlies - how important?

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Knightrider

Well?

I'm leaning towards "it helps" and "depends on who the opposition is" but in the grande scheme of things don't find them to be important prerequisites of friendly matches.

Pre-season friendlies are all about building up fitness levels, getting to know new team mates better and for the coaches to experiment with possible formations/tactics.

Not much more, which is why I take little notice of the results whatsoever.

There's been many teams over the years who had disastrous pre-season results and have ended up high in the league table.

Sure, at the end of the friendlies you get to see a more coherent team performance but you'd be stupid to judge anyone after 2 pre-season friendlies but going by opinions on this board, its already happening I'm betting :rolleyes:

Guest Guinness

Don't think they're important to be honest. It's about getting the players fit and maybe experimenting with a few formations.

The result is completely irrelevant. All about fitness and giving the players a chance to play together in a competitive environment.

As you get closer to the beginning of the season you hope to see the players looking fitter and also that they seem to be gelling well and putting together some nice football.

Ultimately though, it's all about the first Premiership game and being ready for that.

I wanna see players put on the black & white & fight tooth & nail for a win even it's against a Women's Institute XI. Players who cannot accept losing ANYTIME & will fight to the bitter end. But then again I am mentally ill.

I am also mentally ill, but I disagree. For me if you don't win, you've had a test. You learn more from being tested than pissing on some shite 10-0. Of course if we drew with Carlisle in a competitive match I'd be unhappy. But its not competitive.

Guest Mantis

Based on the above and the fact that todays game was in effect a pre-season game for the reserves, I wont be parting with any cash to watch any Toon matches before Bolton.  I'd have been annoyed to go to Carlisle to watch Ramage, Troisi, Bertram, Krul and Lua Lua.

I wanna see players put on the black & white & fight tooth & nail for a win even it's against a Women's Institute XI. Players who cannot accept losing ANYTIME & will fight to the bitter end. But then again I am mentally ill.

Changing the subject, excellent username there.

He's a massive, massive Villa fan, is Spizz. Have you ever heard "The Sun Never Sets on Aston Villa"?

Marvellous. Anyway, as you were...

Changing the subject, excellent username there.

He's a massive, massive Villa fan, is Spizz. Have you ever heard "The Sun Never Sets on Aston Villa"?

Marvellous. Anyway, as you were...

Yep... but the less said the better about his England World Cup song.....

Guest Knightrider

anyone know how barton is? apparently he got injured?

All I know is that the medical team who looked after him are OK, although one had to have hospital treatment himself. Seems to me then he's just fine.

Very important depending on the team we put out.

Usually we have competitive games to get us up and running, a friendly is a friendly but its there for a reason.

Was it SBR who made England play utter shite before a WC to try and boost morale, but what it did was not give us the level we needed and we did shite?

All depends on the manager and what he intends to get out of them. Some managers like Eriksson see them as a chance to give loads of players a run out, but its questionable how much this actually achieves. Other managers like to try out new systems, and they can be useful for that.  Pre-season friendlies are not just about fitness but about getting the sharpness and match practice back.

These first couple of friendlies don't concern me too much, I'd hope by the Sampdoria game that we're performing as well as our opponents.

Guest tbelcher11

I'd say that every game is pretty important.  It gives the team a chance to work together, it gives the defense a chance to prove themselves-which they need to do- and it gives the players a chance to step up and be leaders.  The captain spot is still open...  So the more games we can get in, the better.

I'll only really concentrate on the last one/two. First three or four are more or less to build fitness levels. The big ones at the end are worth having a more closer look.

keep your new players injury free!i.e JOEY BARTON!!!!!!!!! :rant:

I would have thought it was important to try and give your first choice eleven a chance to play at some stage. A few games left yet mind but what with players yet to come in, some maybe leaving and others lying injured it doesn't look likely.

The result doesn't matter, fitness counts.

Guest Toon Barmy

Not important at all.  New players, new manager, new training, new ethos, gonna take time to work.

Guest LucasUnger

Not important at all.  New players, new manager, new training, new ethos, gonna take time to work.

well they better hurry up then. ;) 3 weeks ain't that much time.

IMO, the result is not that important, the performance is however. To a certain degree anyway. If we're creating chances but not putting them away it's all good. Same thing with the defence, if we're generally defending well but concede a fluke goal it's not a big deal. But if we can't string two passes together and concede stupid goals I'll start to worry