Dyer given permission to talk to West Ham, fee agreed

iklgizmo

I think he wants to go because of what he sees as unfair treatment by the fans, and I think he's got a case. His record isn't unblemished, but a lot of the stick that he gets is OTT IMO.

His return last season saved us from relegation. In a few crucial games he had a big impact. No appreciation received for that.

A lot of people seem to believe that his long-term injury problem was his own fault. No rational thinking behind that. He was probably desperate to get  back.

A lot of fans haven't forgiven him for that row with Robson. He did wrong, he publicly apologised, and there were no repeats. What more do people want? At the same time, we had Shearer saying that he'd move on if he wasn't a first team regular, and Bellamy trying to duck out of games. No apologies from either.

This.

People didn't simply turn on him because of that, Dyer had a lot of detractors way before the Robson incident. The reason being that his performances never matched the hype. Dyer strolled his way through long parts of seasons living off his “promising youngster” reputation and the imaginary transfer to Leeds. His lifestyle and personal choices don’t exactly make him appealing to most supporters.

He alone sums up our failures as a club in the past 10 years. A serial injury prone underachiever who is on ridiculously high wages, yet produces virtually no end product. Someone loves the celebrity lifestyle and took advantage of those who helped him get to where he was.

Despite all the money and the all the potential he and we as a club have done nothing since he joined.

Top Post - sums it all up.

I think he wants to go because of what he sees as unfair treatment by the fans, and I think he's got a case. His record isn't unblemished, but a lot of the stick that he gets is OTT IMO.

His return last season saved us from relegation. In a few crucial games he had a big impact. No appreciation received for that.

A lot of people seem to believe that his long-term injury problem was his own fault. No rational thinking behind that. He was probably desperate to get  back.

A lot of fans haven't forgiven him for that row with Robson. He did wrong, he publicly apologised, and there were no repeats. What more do people want? At the same time, we had Shearer saying that he'd move on if he wasn't a first team regular, and Bellamy trying to duck out of games. No apologies from either.

This.

People didn't simply turn on him because of that, Dyer had a lot of detractors way before the Robson incident. The reason being that his performances never matched the hype. Dyer strolled his way through long parts of seasons living off his promising youngster reputation and the imaginary transfer to Leeds. His lifestyle and personal choices dont exactly make him appealing to most supporters.

He alone sums up our failures as a club in the past 10 years. A serial injury prone underachiever who is on ridiculously high wages, yet produces virtually no end product. Someone loves the celebrity lifestyle and took advantage of those who helped him get to where he was.

Despite all the money and the all the potential he and we as a club have done nothing since he joined.

Top Post - sums it all up.

My memories of Dyer are different. Whatever his limitations in technique, I always felt he was putting in plenty of effort.

Post-Alkmaar, he lost faith in Roeder and didn't seem to be concentrating, but that's the only example I can remember, and as others have pointed out, the whole team lost the plot at that time.

I'm not saying he's a great player, and in fact after all this time I still haven't really made my mind up about exactly how good he is. What I was saying is that the abuse he gets is OTT and doesn't seem to be based on his football. This dislike of his 'celebrity lifestyle' and what people see as his character is what is behind it. Personally, I couldn't give a shit.

There was a lot of hostility towards him today whenever he came within earshot.

I believe it was probably the same thing during the first pre-season game and this is why he was distressed after the game and has probably since decided to leave.

Brand new start to the season, everyone looking forward to a new start and he's getting abuse before he's even done anything wrong. I think a break up is best for all involved.

I agree. Let's keep Dyer, and get shot of all the retards who feel the need to boo their own players.

There was a lot of hostility towards him today whenever he came within earshot.

I believe it was probably the same thing during the first pre-season game and this is why he was distressed after the game and has probably since decided to leave.

Brand new start to the season, everyone looking forward to a new start and he's getting abuse before he's even done anything wrong. I think a break up is best for all involved.

I agree. Let's keep Dyer, and get shot of all the retards who feel the need to boo their own players.

Aye. Lets get rid of all of those fans who pay their well earned money every year to watch a little overpaid waster serve up shit time and time again. Impatient bastards. He will be a great player when he matures a bit. Could be world class tbh.

I don't think fans should boo their own players, but Dyer has actually deserved it. He's totally took the piss.

Aye. Lets get rid of all of those fans who pay their well earned money every year to watch a little overpaid waster serve up s*** time and time again. Impatient bastards. He will be a great player when he matures a bit. Could be world class tbh.

I don't think fans should boo their own players, but Dyer has actually deserved it. He's totally took the piss.

I can only recall two specific situations (feel free to correct me) where Dyer has done something that directly puts the club in a bad light, and would obviously incur the fans' wrath; snubbing the armband (and the refusal to play 'out of position' under SBR), and the on-pitch fight with Bowyer (in which he should've avoided the confrontation altogether, regardless of whether he was or wasn't to blame). On both occasions he's come out and apologized publicly, which really is all you can ask for in that respect.

The brunt of the criticism Dyer has received has initially been due to his personal and social life outside of the game, and has eventually also turned into criticism of what he's done on the pitch - lack of end product, headless chicken, etc etc. At the end of the day, booing is never ever likely to improve a players performance - I find booing in general to be distasteful and unnecessary, and I'd never condone it, and I certainly don't think that what Dyer has done is deserving of him being booed. At all.

I definitely hope he stays. He still has great potential to be an asset to the team and the club, and his injury record and history means we're never likely to receive the amount of money I really think he's worth - considering the amounts being thrown around these days.

I can only recall two specific situations (feel free to correct me) where Dyer has done something that directly puts the club in a bad light, and would obviously incur the fans' wrath; snubbing the armband (and the refusal to play 'out of position' under SBR), and the on-pitch fight with Bowyer (in which he should've avoided the confrontation altogether, regardless of whether he was or wasn't to blame). On both occasions he's come out and apologized publicly, which really is all you can ask for in that respect.

The brunt of the criticism Dyer has received has initially been due to his personal and social life outside of the game, and has eventually also turned into criticism of what he's done on the pitch - lack of end product, headless chicken, etc etc. At the end of the day, booing is never ever likely to improve a players performance - I find booing in general to be distasteful and unnecessary, and I'd never condone it, and I certainly don't think that what Dyer has done is deserving of him being booed. At all.

I definitely hope he stays. He still has great potential to be an asset to the team and the club, and his injury record and history means we're never likely to receive the amount of money I really think he's worth - considering the amounts being thrown around these days.

Good post that. I'd only be happy to see him go if there was a quality replacement lined up.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/journalsport/tm_headline=central-issues%26method=full%26objectid=19499418%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Central issuesJul 23 2007

by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

SAM Allardyce faces a difficult decision over Kieron Dyer this week after it emerged Joey Barton will miss the start of the new Premier League season.

At least one from West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur are expected to bid for the unsettled Dyer in the next seven days but the waters may have been muddied by the problem picked up by captain-for-the-day Barton in Saturday’s pre-season friendly against Carlisle United.

The initial diagnosis was that Barton suffered no more than bruising during the 1-1 draw at Brunton Park. But United have since discovered the 24-year-old suffered a partial fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his left foot and will be out for six weeks.

Barton returned to the field after treatment and, although Allardyce was told the injury not as serious as the former Manchester City player’s pained reaction suggested, he was withdrawn as a precaution.

Allardyce’s public stance this summer has been that while he will try to create an environment players do not want to leave, ultimately the decision lies with them.

Dyer, who played on the left of a front three against League One Carlisle, is thought to be unhappy on Tyneside, although Allardyce insisted on Saturday rumours the 28-year-old had handed in a transfer request were unfounded.

“Kieron Dyer hasn’t said anything to me,” he insisted. “If we’d had a bid it might have been his last game for Newcastle United but we haven’t.”

West Ham, who signed midfielder Scott Parker from Newcastle in June, are thought to be ready to change that, while Martin Jol is understood to be keen to reunite Dyer with another former Magpies midfielder – his close friend Jermaine Jenas.

Allardyce, who arrived at St James’s Park vowing to improve the club’s woeful injury record, has already encountered the problems which seem to come with his job. Turkish international Emre has been troubled by an ankle problem, while James Milner injured his groin in the warm-up before the game in Cumbria. Damien Duff is a long-term absentee with a foot problem.

Celestine Babayaro (groin), Shola Ameobi (back), Michael Owen (thigh) and Shay Given (heel) also sat out Saturday’s friendly.

The injuries have exacerbated Allardyce’s frustrations in the transfer market. The Magpies have signed Barton, David Rozehnal, Geremi and Mark Viduka but want eight new arrivals before the transfer window closes.

“In the last couple of weeks we haven’t got one single face in and I certainly hope in the next week it’s going to be at least one or two,” said Allardyce. “We need another three or four before August 11 (the first day of the Premier League season) – that’s a certainty.

“Everything has hampered our progress – maybe players don’t want to come, maybe the terms aren’t good enough, maybe clubs want too much money, maybe another club’s nipped in ahead of us.

“Until you get pen to paper you never think you’ve clinched it. We just have to keep moving on.”

Real Madrid midfielder-cum-striker Julio Baptista is the latest linked to United. The £6m-rated player was on loan at Arsenal last season but the Gunners do not appear interested in a permanent move despite Real’s willingness to sell.

United were spared embarrassment by Nolberto Solano’s injury-time equaliser at the weekend. The Cumbrians led following Danny Livesey’s 56th-minute header.

The visiting players wore heart monitors during the game, but cannot during the season proper. “It’s okay in pre-season but sadly the Premier League don’t let you wear them,” said Allardyce.

“They give you the right data on the level of fitness. You plug it into a laptop and find out exactly how much each player’s done. I’ve no idea why we can’t do it in the Premier League. It’s all those old fuddy-duddies.”

Viduka will be available sooner than expected after Japan knocked Australia out of the Asia Cup quarter-finals on Saturday.

Substituted an hour into the 1-1 draw, the 31-year-old did not take part in a penalty shoot-out which the Socceroos lost 4-3.

FORMER Newcastle midfielder Hugo Viana is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines after breaking a metatarsal in his right foot in training with his new club Osasuna.

The Portugal international only arrived at the Pamplona club on a 12-month loan from La Liga rivals Valencia this month and, according to Osasuna medical chief Patxi Cipriain, is now set to be out for between three and four months.

Viana, 24, has returned to his parent club and will undergo further tests today.

“In the last couple of weeks we haven’t got one single face in and I certainly hope in the next week it’s going to be at least one or two,” said Allardyce. “We need another three or four before August 11 (the first day of the Premier League season) – that’s a certainty.

“Everything has hampered our progress – maybe players don’t want to come, maybe the terms aren’t good enough, maybe clubs want too much money, maybe another club’s nipped in ahead of us.

“Until you get pen to paper you never think you’ve clinched it. We just have to keep moving on.”

Glad to hear a sense of urgency from the manager. I remember when Roeder was patronising us this time last year saying that everything was fine and it'd all work out in the end. We seem to be entering a critical period of the transfer window, compounded by the injury to Barton. We simply need a breakthrough this week because as things stand Ramage and Huntington would walk into the first team.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Was involved in a exchange of words with Barton after Dyer failed to latch onto a ball by Matty Pattison something which Barton wasnt best pleased with.

Similar reason as to why Bowyer kicked off against Dyer, Dyer missed a ball, head dropped and just walked on.

He's half-hearted a lot of the time and it's probably too late to sort out. He's industrious when he's in the mood but largely ineffective, an apparently lesser player could do a better job over the course of a season.

Guest khyberpass

cant see how we can let him go...our quickest, highest scoring midfielder...

I dont think he has lived up to his potential...but he adds something that we'd be stupid to throw away, unless we have a secret Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes or Pedersen coming in...

Barton injured just means we cant get rid....

As for the boos - f**kin idiots to boo our own. Managers job to deal with under-performers..not ours to knacker up whole team by booing...Still believe thats what shagged likes of Bramble....

cant see how we can let him go...our quickest, highest scoring midfielder...

I dont think he has lived up to his potential...but he adds something that we'd be stupid to throw away, unless we have a secret Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes or Pedersen coming in...

Barton injured just means we cant get rid....

As for the boos - f**kin idiots to boo our own. Managers job to deal with under-performers..not ours to knacker up whole team by booing...Still believe thats what shagged likes of Bramble....

Ding ding ding ding ding.

Hit the nail on the head.

Barton getting injured means we'd be stupid to get rid, especially with our injury history.

As for the booing, while its understandable, I don't condone it one bit.

If we got Manuel Fernandes in i wouldn't be bothered by him leaving like. In fact, i just want us to buy Manuel Fernandes anyway. Saw him at the w/end playing for Benfica(friendly), looked good.

The visiting players wore heart monitors during the game, but cannot during the season proper. Its okay in pre-season but sadly the Premier League dont let you wear them, said Allardyce.

Shame, they could come in handy

Beep... beep... beep... beeeeeeeeeeeee

"Shit, Viduka's arteries are clogsed again, get the defibrilator!"

I'd probably let him go but only if we had someone else lined up to replace him as there's too muchil feeling there.

On another point I don't think Dyer is as bad a player as some make out. In fact Dyer along with Robert, Bellamy and Jenas (all players who got stick from a lot of fans) must have had something about them as we did do well with them in the team under Bobby.  Thinking about the list of players just mentioned, I also remember Gary Speed also seemed to get stick from the fans as well.

People also go on about Dyer going missing in games and not playing on the wing under Bobby, but what about Solano who a lot of fans praise? He goes missing a lot of away games and has stormed off from the stadium when not in the first team before but I hardly hear any criticism.

Judging by Sam's words after the Carlisle game I think it is clear that Dyer wants to go. From watching Dyer's performances pre his England appearance last season and post that appearance I'd say his body language suggests he wants to go.

He started well after his lay off, did well as a sub for England and then put in a string of going through the routine performances until the end of the season.

A fit, keen, Dyer would be an assest to every squad. We really are going to have our work cut out from now until the end of August if he leaves.

Our squad suddenly looks paper thin again and unbelieveably, at this point in time, possibly weaker than the end of last season.

Dyer dosent care, if he's put right-wing he sulks a lot of the time just going through the motions. Where the hell does he fit in?? He lives off his past and is 29 in December. Its a fair point that Allardyce could get the best out of him, but I think players like Milner & N'Zogbia are worth having in the side much more. Milner/Solano/Geremi for RW, he goes missing badly enough to do it centre midfield where Emre & Barton should be ahead of him and left wings a no-no with N'Zogbia hopefully getting back to his best there, granted no-one knows for sure what Allardyce is going to play.

Guest Guinness

Wouldn't really want to see Dyer leave now after Barton's injury although that's just me looking at the short term. If we could get a decent replacement then I wouldn't be too bothered if we sold him. If it's true about him wanting to leave then there's no point keeping a player that doesn't want to be at the club. Still think we'll probably have to spend more than we'll get for him if we want to improve.