Newcastle 4 - 1 Celtic (friendly) - Post match thoughts from page 29

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

still think Huntington will come good.  was probably not good for him getting sholved straight into the deep end last season. and playing left back is no good for him either, just as Taylor found out when he started at right back at the Reebock.

I know he ain't a left-back, but his defensive capabilities look very limited. His positional sense is practically non-existant, he's a flappy fucker, and he needs to bulk up big-time if he's going to have any substantial Premiership career. Would definitely be eager to see him go out on loan, though, because the potential's there.

7 defenders doesn't look too bad numerically, out of those 7 I'd only really rate 3, Edgar, Taylor and Rozenhal.

How does 7 not look bad to anyone? That is including the kids, yet still does not give us cover in each position.

7 defenders doesn't look too bad numerically, out of those 7 I'd only really rate 3, Edgar, Taylor and Rozenhal.

How does 7 not look bad to anyone? That is including the kids, yet still does not give us cover in each position.

I said 7 doesn't look too bad numerically, I didn't mean that 7, that's why I mentioned the 3 that I thought was good enough.  If we have 7 good defenders then I think we'll have enough.

Just glad we went back to 4-4-2. I was all for 4-5-1, but we simply don't have the players; blatantly the way to go this season.

We have, or should I say we will have when Viduka pulls the shirt on.

We've got neither the wing-backs neither the two 'other' forwards (in the three-man attack). We've got players that go in a 4-4-2 like a glove.

That's not to say we don't still need wing-backs...

As you say we need fullbacks whatever position we play, Martins can play as one of the forwards IMO as can Duff, Dyer and N'Zogbia.

The only thing holding us back would be if Owen could play there and apparently he did at Madrid so we'll have to see.

Well, we'll wait and see like you say.

What i know is this. We've played 4-4-2 twice this season, and ripped the opposition to shreads on each occassion. We played like dogshit the time we didn't use it. Obviously - it's not the fairest judge on things because it's only pre-season and it was a weird set-up at Carlisle; but those are the facts as we stand.

First of all I wouldn't judge any formation off a few pre-season performances, didn't Allardyce say Bolton lost all of their pre-season games last year? He said it wasn't about performances but about getting players used to the formation.

Personally I don't have a preference however I want us to have a team capable of playing different formations depending on the opposition, if we play 4-4-2 every week they will soon figure out all of the weak links in the side, however if we can keep the opposition manager guessing as to what formation we're going to play then that really does mess their plans up on how they want to play against us, I remember the season before last when Liverpool came to SJP and played 3 at the back with wingbacks, we didn't expect it and the manager couldn't tell our players to play a different way until half time as we hadn't prepared for it.

That's what I want from Newcastle this season.

First of all I wouldn't judge any formation off a few pre-season performances, didn't Allardyce say Bolton lost all of their pre-season games last year? He said it wasn't about performances but about getting players used to the formation.

Personally I don't have a preference however I want us to have a team capable of playing different formations depending on the opposition, if we play 4-4-2 every week they will soon figure out all of the weak links in the side, however if we can keep the opposition manager guessing as to what formation we're going to play then that really does mess their plans up on how they want to play against us, I remember the season before last when Liverpool came to SJP and played 3 at the back with wingbacks, we didn't expect it and the manager couldn't tell our players to play a different way until half time as we hadn't prepared for it.

That's what I want from Newcastle this season.

A certain top German manager would train his players to play many different formations then just send them out without any tactics, he'd let the players dictate how they played the game and he'd bring on a substitute on if he needed to change anything.

I said 7 doesn't look too bad numerically, I didn't mean that 7, that's why I mentioned the 3 that I thought was good enough.  If we have 7 good defenders then I think we'll have enough.

I agree. Not just the defence needs improving , but the squad as a whole.

Numbers mean dick when you are effectively including the juniors. Especially compared with more robusts squads in the premiership where you can count seasoned proffesionals into the 30's squad number wise.

I agree. Not just the defence needs improving , but the squad as a whole.

Numbers mean dick when you are effectively including the juniors. Especially compared with more robusts squads in the premiership where you can count seasoned proffesionals into the 30's squad number wise.

I wouldn't mind seeing 1 kid in each area of the team regularly included with the first team squad, 1 in defence and I'd prefer Edgar out of that lot, 1 in midfield and at the minute it would be Troisi and one up front, it would have to be Carrol as he seems to be the only 1.  They can be included in the squad and train with them but we shouldn't rely too much on them, at least they'll continue to develop and get the odd game but not too many.

Guest 22bnw

Allardyce's new training regime is showing, we might have picked up a few unfortunate injuries but on the whole the players look a lot fitter than they did this time last year...

Allardyce's new training regime is showing, we might have picked up a few unfortunate injuries but on the whole the players look a lot fitter than they did this time last year...

That's a good point which hasn't been mentioned, we do look a lot fitter than normal.

That's a good point which hasn't been mentioned, we do look a lot fitter than normal.

We need a strong pre-season for a change.  The games against supposedly weaker opposition are at the beggining of our schedule, so we can't afford a typically slow start this year. 

some players shone last night.

I was impressed with Geremi.  He did a good job in midfield.  Rozenthal looked decent.  troisi looked lively.

Martins made some decent passes, and looked useful.

usual shite......carr pattison.

Solano won us the game in the first half.  He looked as good as his 2002 lvl of playing.

Was great to see us get a win, although celtic looked a bit toothless; still aint worked out who they have as there main striker, seemed to be awol.

The worry was how bad our defence was until Taylor came on. The simplest of through balls or balls over the top had us in trouble. Celtic didn't have to work for their chances in the first half, and a Premiership team would have buried us. We've got to get more quality in there, if only as back up.

I'd agree that Troisi looked a good player. He kept good control of the ball when running at pace, and looked very promising.

Good performance and a decent atmosphere.

Thought Butt and Milner were the top 2 performers, Oba looked really good, and Roz & Geremi put in good shifts too.

As for Luque, everyone sat around us was laughing at the fact he scored twice, as generally his play was fuckin awful! He's got a worse first touch than Shola. Still, took his 2 goals well.

Troisi looked very useful and could well save us some cash on a new signing! Edgar also looked promising.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Troisi will graduate into the first team.

Agree

Unlike the other graduates, he looks like he has real quality on the ball, and a good football brain with it.

Cant believe people are slagging Luque over last nights game, it was his first game in ages so he was likely to be slow and a bit poor. cant argue with scoring twice tho

:rant: Celtic fans are such racist fuckers, Great noise but it really gets on my tits when the sing that utter shit With all their biggotted songs,

I heard them chanting al qaeda more than once, Fuckers...

Narrowminded sheep who havent got a clue about their history, I spoke to a few lad's in the pub after the game & they all said the same thing "it's just crack we don't even know what they mean"

If it was whites singing about blacks or vice versa there would be hell on!

:rant: Celtic fans are such racist fuckers, Great noise but it really gets on my tits when the sing that utter shit With all their biggotted songs,

Narrowminded sheep who havent got a clue about their history, I spoke to a few lad's in the pub after the game & they all said the same thing "it's just crack we don't even know what they mean"

I was trying to work out why they were singing "Argentina" :lol:

My Celtic fan mate was watching in a pub in Sheffeild somewhere and had to go to work not long after kick off, so he asked me to text him the final score.  Must have been gutted to read "4-1 final score.  Played with 5 kids in the second half, played reserve keeper up front, finished off the match with 10 men after Taylor took a knock."

:rant: Celtic fans are such racist fuckers, Great noise but it really gets on my tits when the sing that utter s*** With all their biggotted songs,

I was trying to work out why they were singing "Argentina" :lol:

Class!!!

Did anyone else think that Butt and Geremi linked together really well?  They seemed to always give the other an outlet making the middle of the playing field look very neat.  I cannot see how either can be left out of the team.  Not sure how Barton will fit into a team with both Butt and Geremi in midfield though.........

Read a stat about Solano in the Sky Magazine saying that in Premiership history he holds the record for being substituted more times than any other player.  Real shame because he is probably the smartest footballer we have in the squad.  When he retires we must keep him on staff in a coaching role, even if it is with the kids.  Inspirational player and personality, in my opinion!!

Really enjoyed the game and it was good to see some goals at home after the way we finished last season without a goal in the last 6 or 7 at home.  Looking forward to Sunday where I think there will be a bigger crowd as well.