I did my best - Shepherd

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Time is right for me to quitJ

ul 25 2007

by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

FREDDY SHEPHERD has admitted the time was right for him to leave Newcastle United after 10 years as chairman at St James’ Park.

And far from being bitter about his departure, Shepherd told me today: “I wish Chris Mort and Sam Allardyce all the best and I hope they can do what we just could not do and give our fans a trophy.”

In his only interview after the club announced his departure at tea-time yesterday, a philosophical Shepherd said: “I have had a great 15 years on the board, 10 of them as chairman and I’ve enjoyed every minute.

“It has been a great privilege and honour to have been chairman and I would not have missed it for the world.

”We have had some really exciting times and I like to think we have achieved a lot since 1992 when we took over the club.

“But it was the right time for me to stand down. And in any case, once the club was de-listed, my position as chairman of the PLC became redundant.

“I gave it my best shot and I could not really have done any more.”

My only regret is that we didn’t get a trophy for fansJul 25 2007

FREDDY SHEPHERD insists his one big regret after 10 years as chairman of Newcastle United is that he did not give the fans a trophy.

In an exclusive interview with The Chronicle, Shepherd told me today: “My biggest regret is that I was unable to give our supporters a trophy.

“Don’t forget that I am a supporter as well, and I was as desperate as the rest of the fans to bring some silverware to this club, but unfortunately we just could not do it.

“But I still feel that we have achieved quite a lot since we took over in 1992.

“We have a fantastic stadium at St James’ Park and our training ground and academy are as good as any in Europe.

“Now I feel that everything is in place for Sam Allardyce, Mike Ashley and Chris Mort to bring Newcastle United the success our supporters deserve.”

Shepherd always claimed that he would stand down if a Geordie Roman Abramovich appeared on the scene and, while Mike Ashley is based in the south, he falls into the billionaire category.

This leads Shepherd to add: “I always said that it is no good being a multi- millionaire but a billionaire in football these days if you want to take over a club – and I have been proved right.”

Shepherd’s departure was not exactly a surprise, and United fans knew that it was going to happen sooner rather than later.

But those supporters I have spoken to are more concerned about how much money the new owners will make available to Sam Allardyce for new players.

And they will certainly welcome Chris Mort’s pledge to the Chronicle today that Big Sam will be given money to spend to strengthen a squad which is looking decidedly thin at the moment.

Meanwhile, Shepherd boasted today of one of his big achievements – outlasting his big pal Tony Blair.

Shepherd, a former trade unionist in his days as a Swan Hunter apprentice, has been a big supporter of Newcastle fan Blair, and he was often in touch with the former Prime Minster.

And he told me today: “I took over as chairman about the same time as Tony was made Prime Minister, and I will be texting him to say I lasted longer than him.”

Shepherd is obviously disappointed that his reign as United chairman is over, but he added: “There is still plenty for me to do, and I am a director of six other companies.”

And, like Alan Shearer, Freddy has been bitten by the golf bug, and is looking forward to reducing his handicap over the coming months.

And there is another thing Shepherd and Shearer have in common.

Both are no longer United employees. But both remain die-hard United supporters, however.

Indeed, Shepherd’s parting shot to me was: “See you at Bolton Wanderers on August 11.”

Guest Gemmill

Shepherd has got Tony Blair's mobile number?!  WTF?! :lol:

"Haha outlasted u tones.  Fred. xx"

"Fuck off fatso."

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/chroniclesport/tm_headline=bosses-got-my-backing%26method=full%26objectid=19516843%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Bosses got my backing

Jul 25 2007

FREDDY SHEPHERD is proud that he never failed to back his managers in the transfer market.

But he confessed today: “I always backed my managers, but perhaps I backed them too much.”

United spent around £250m on players after the Hall-Shepherd regime took over the club in 1992.

It was Shepherd and Douglas Hall who brought Alan Shearer to the club in the summer of 1996 in a transfer which reverberated around the whole of football.

And Shepherd was cheered to the rafters when he presented Michael Owen to the 20,000 supporters who had turned up to see United’s new £17m man.

That was in August 2005, but last season some of those supporters turned against Shepherd after the UEFA Cup defeat in Holland when, to be fair, the aftermath was that some United players seemed to throw in the towel for the rest of the campaign.

Shepherd did not only throw cash at his managers, but I always felt that he was far too generous with some of the contracts he handed out to some players who could only be described as mediocre.

But perhaps this was because it was difficult to persuade some players to come so far north.

One player who jumped at the chance was Marcelino in a £5m switch from Real Mallorca.

Shepherd joked after Marcelino flopped: “Mallorca have named their new stadium after me.”

But he knew the fans weren’t laughing, and when I asked why United had paid out £5m for such a poor and injury-prone player, he replied: “Because that’s what the manager wanted me to do.”

Then there was the case of Jean Alain Boumsong, United’s £8.5m buy from Rangers who, ironically, will be back at St James’ Park with Juventus on Sunday.

United needed a central defender and Shepherd’s preference was for Bobo Balde at Celtic, but once again he was advised by his manager.

But afterwards I heard that Graeme Souness had told Shepherd that United were getting one of the best central defenders in Europe and the money was paid into the Ibrox coffers.

---------------------------------------

honestly what a jiz fest by leatherface as his pal departs and probably takes his job along with him.

Guest optimistic nit

" i feel that we have acheived a lot since 1992"

we just finished 13th!! we were going downhill!!

it is true that we achieved alot since 1992. you can't pull him up on that. unfortunately he was appointed chairman 10 years ago, in 1997, and you don't need me to point out how far we've dropped since then.

He's right about backing his manager, the problem is that he employed them in the first place, it's no good putting all of your money on a donkey if it's running in the national, prick.

Cheers Fred - You backed our managers and give it your best shot,but in the end it wasn't good enough and you chose shit managers. Right time for you to go,under a new era.

At least he's left us with Allardyce  ;D

I liked that statement about outlasting Blair. Blair has walked away at the time that he planned, whereas Shepherd has been booted out despite being determined to stay. Big difference.

Good old Freddie. Unable to leave without one final , egotistical, asinine comment.

Shepherd has got Tony Blair's mobile number?!  WTF?! :lol:

"Haha outlasted u tones.  Fred. xx"

"f*** off fatso."

I wonder if it was Tony Blair who kept texting him asking for Roeder to be given the job?

And Shepherd was cheered to the rafters when he presented Michael Owen to the 20,000 supporters who had turned up to see United’s new £17m man.

99% of those fans were kids on their school hols! FFS

99% of those fans were kids on their school hols! FFS

Aye, that's what REALLY matters about Shepherds tenure.

I think he done his best, his problem was he didn't have someone who knows the football World on the board to help them out with football decisions, he also let his heart rule his head at times when it came to backing the manager.

He wasn't popular over the brothel scandal but not many had a problem with the way the club was being run until he employed Souness, that started the downward spiral for the club both on the pitch and financially and he struggles to turn it around, would Allardyce of turned it around under Shepherd? I think he would of but we'll never know now.

...FREDDY SHEPHERD has admitted the time was right for him to leave Newcastle United after 10 years as chairman at St James Park...

...a philosophical Shepherd said: I have had a great 15 years on the board, 10 of them as chairman and Ive enjoyed every minute...

I can just picture Freddy Shepherd getting arrested, tried for murder and on his way giving an interview "I think it is the right time for me to go to prison".  Get stuffed, it was the right time to go as soon as someone with money, ambition and a brain in their head came knocking on the door.  He didn't think it was the 'right time' until he was asked to clear his fucking desk.

And I have no doubt that he's enjoyed every minute as chairman.  No doubt at all.

"Shepherds preference was for Bobo Balde of Celtic ... "

WTF why should he even have a say in what players we should be bringing in??? Did I just imagine that or is that actually written in the last article.

Freddy despite his constant denials was indeed determining whicih players we signed. What an absolute joke. Him and Souness arguing over getting in Boumsong or Balde out of all the defenders on the planet!

Absolutely disgusting!