Allardyce says 'I am proper cacking myself'

Dave

Allardyce sounds far from chilled out, he's sounded very stressed and frustrated the last couple of weeks. He hasn't tried to put a brave face on and pretend everything's alright, he's admitted we're moving too slowly, we're getting left behind and that this is taking up all of his time. These are his words. These quotes are basically saying "I'm still trying", all we can do is hope he makes a breakthrough.

We're cutting it pretty fine to be honest, Emre looks doubtful for the first game and Dyer could be on his way out, so while defence is a major problem we now need to look at midfield too. There's a lot to do in limited time.

I don't disagree with any of that. It's just a response to those who are gagging for news, suggesting f*** all is happening.

Who suggested that?

Allardyce sounds far from chilled out, he's sounded very stressed and frustrated the last couple of weeks. He hasn't tried to put a brave face on and pretend everything's alright, he's admitted we're moving too slowly, we're getting left behind and that this is taking up all of his time. These are his words. These quotes are basically saying "I'm still trying", all we can do is hope he makes a breakthrough.

We're cutting it pretty fine to be honest, Emre looks doubtful for the first game and Dyer could be on his way out, so while defence is a major problem we now need to look at midfield too. There's a lot to do in limited time.

I don't disagree with any of that. It's just a response to those who are gagging for news, suggesting f*** all is happening.

Who suggested that?

I'm not going to link to all the threads and posts where people are panicking and speculating about the lack of news, it'd take too long. That's not even to mention people worrying about the players being linked in comics like the Star.

Who suggested that?

I'm not going to link to all the threads and posts where people are panicking and speculating about the lack of news, it'd take too long. That's not even to mention people worrying about the players being linked in comics like the Star.

I don't recall anyone suggesting fuck all is happening, I do remember people being worried by Fat Sam's comments about the board causing him to miss out on his targets because they're moving too slow.

Roeder said something similar last summer iirc.

The similarities probably end there though.

You think?

I seem to remember everyone confident Roeder would get the players in he wanted last summer, it was only when the window closed and we never had any decent defenders in that the majority turned on him.

Time well tell with Allardyce but talking a good game means nothing to me..

sure talking good game means nothing, but so is assuming at this stage that this summers transfer window will be a flop in the same way as last years.  We have a brand new manager and chairman, surely with 4 players in the bag and promise of another 3 to 4 in the next 3 weeks, it looks like were doing ok realistically.  If Barton, Emre and Duff were not crocked I doubt people would be so bothered that we had only got 4 in at this stage.

Also, tbf, only 8 teams in the EPL have signed more players than us... and we've been held up spending because of Ashley's takeover review.

Who suggested that?

I don't recall anyone suggesting f*** all is happening, I do remember people being worried by Fat Sam's comments about the board causing him to miss out on his targets because they're moving too slow.

Exactly.. I'm getting a bit tired of people putting words in other people's mouths to ridicule them.. The people who have been sceptical lately have not suggested that we as supporters have a right to know how much money will be spent, as has been suggested, nor have they claimed that Allardyce was doing nothing to bring new players in, as seems to be suggested here.. All these quotes suggests to me is Allardyce putting his head down and continuing work on bringing players in. He can't bring the players in if the new owners aren't willing to open their wallet though..

We'll sign one, hopefully two defenders before Bolton imo.

What quality they are remains to be seen. 

Hope you are wrong!!

We need five more defenders and they need to be of a certain (far better than Ramage/Bramble) level, if we are to make any significant first steps toward improvement in the coming season.

The situation defensively, including goalkeeper (in my opinion, as I wrote on another thread some time ago) is:

GOALKEEPER - 2 (Given/Harper -  so NONE needed)

CENTRE BACK (A) - 1 (Taylor - so ONE needed)

CENTRE BACK (B) - 1 (Rozehnal - so ONE needed)

RIGHT BACK - 1 (Geremi - so ONE needed)

LEFT BACK - 0 (so TWO needed)

So  -  we still need to acquire a total of FIVE new, top quality, defenders (in my view) if we are to make a bit of real progress.

"One, hopefully two defenders before Bolton" is pretty much a waste of time. It will not achieve what we want and the club needs.

The rest of Allardyce's quotes from The Times:

“I’m confident I’ll get the number of players we need [before the start of the season], but I’m not sure about the quality,” he said.

“Like every manager at this stage, every day changes,” he said. “You’re like a yo-yo. It’s a very emotional period. Just when you think you’re getting somewhere and you’re really up-beat, a crushing blow hits you that you didn’t expect. It’s like what happened to Joey Barton [who will absent for six to eight weeks with a foot injury] on Saturday. Now Kieron Dyer.

“The changeover has been the biggest problem we’ve had, of course. I understand that, because you’ve got to find everything out about the new business, but you can get frustrated because it moves slower than you’d like.

“I can’t move any quicker than I am doing, but there’s lots of players we’ve targeted and spoken to that have now been taken by other clubs, so the pot of high quality has reduced. There are no longer other options with the same quality available. It’s going to be more expensive to fill that void now.”

I admire his honesty but it's not really what any of us want to hear. I think it's fair to say that this transfer window hasn't gone as well as most of us had hoped, Allardyce included. He did however hint that he would want to replace Dyer if he sells him:

"You have to spend the money you get when you get it as quick as you can on someone else, if someone gives us the sort of money we would accept."

The rest of Allardyce's quotes from The Times:

“I’m confident I’ll get the number of players we need [before the start of the season], but I’m not sure about the quality,” he said.

“Like every manager at this stage, every day changes,” he said. “You’re like a yo-yo. It’s a very emotional period. Just when you think you’re getting somewhere and you’re really up-beat, a crushing blow hits you that you didn’t expect. It’s like what happened to Joey Barton [who will absent for six to eight weeks with a foot injury] on Saturday. Now Kieron Dyer.

“The changeover has been the biggest problem we’ve had, of course. I understand that, because you’ve got to find everything out about the new business, but you can get frustrated because it moves slower than you’d like.

“I can’t move any quicker than I am doing, but there’s lots of players we’ve targeted and spoken to that have now been taken by other clubs, so the pot of high quality has reduced. There are no longer other options with the same quality available. It’s going to be more expensive to fill that void now.”

I admire his honesty but it's not really what any of us want to hear. I think it's fair to say that this transfer window hasn't gone as well as most of us had hoped, Allardyce included. He did however hint that he would want to replace Dyer if he sells him:

"You have to spend the money you get when you get it as quick as you can on someone else, if someone gives us the sort of money we would accept."

Allardyce doesn't sound very chilled out to me tbh.

He is obviously targeting players he think would really improve us, rather than just "better than what we've got". I think thats obvious with him not going for the likes of Luke Young. We'll have to wait and see if we do go in for Baines. If he doesn't even go in for Baines then he's obviously aiming really high, and we're struggling to sign the quality he really wants.

Whatever happens between now and August 31st, from a moral and respect point of view, i'd be more respectful of:

"I'm worried about the quality of signings we're able to attract..." Come September 1st we've signed three fairly underwhelming signings.

than:

"Our fans have nothing to worry about, i'm definitely going to bring in three quality players..." Come September 1st we've signed three fairly underwhelming signings.

If you see what i'm trying to say. Basically, i'm just saying i'm glad he's being honest, rather than being a deluded prick and a liar. Mentioning no names.

He is obviously targeting players he think would really improve us, rather than just "better than what we've got". I think thats obvious with him not going for the likes of Luke Young. We'll have to wait and see if we do go in for Baines. If he doesn't even go in for Baines then he's obviously aiming really high, and we're struggling to sign the quality he really wants.

There comes a time though when "better than what we've got" becomes "better than nothing".

I remember Roeder went on about how he wouldn't sign average players on long contracts and that's fair enough, but in the end he had to turn to the reserves and we could have been relegated.  We need bodies in and I'd rather get in some average players if we must than turn to the reserves again. I think Allardyce is suggesting that we may need one or two average players just to pad out the squad because we're getting to the "beggars can't be choosers" stage where our targets have fallen through and we have to reassess our situation. Basically things have not gone too well since the Geremi signing and we must salvage something from this window.

It's refreshing if nothing else that Allardyce recognises this. Roeder spent the whole time complaining about the concept of a transfer window, and ended up running around on the last day getting anyone he could get his hands on like Sibierski and Bernard.

Looking at the players who have moved doesn't make me feel that we've lost out on much so far considering we keep hearing about the players having Premiership experience.

I would be surprised if the best players have already moved who are going to move.

Looking at the players who have moved doesn't make me feel that we've lost out on much so far considering we keep hearing about the players having Premiership experience.

I would be surprised if the best players have already moved who are going to move.

I'm not sure who he's referring to? Ben Haim, Distin perhaps, but I agree we haven't missed out on a great deal. Makes his comments all the more concerning when he says "there are no longer other options with the same quality available".

I'm not sure who he's referring to? Ben Haim, Distin perhaps, but I agree we haven't missed out on a great deal. Makes his comments all the more concerning when he says "there are no longer other options with the same quality available".

We didn't have a chance with Ben Haim once Chelsea showed an interest, it doesn't matter how long transfers were being dragged out unless we could have got him before Chelsea became involved.  Mort has said in an interview that he had OK'd at least two of the players we've brought in so I can't see why he wouldn't have done the same with Ben Haim considering it didn't involve a fee.

Another article regarding transfers:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2134672,00.html

Allardyce admits struggle to attract quality to Tyneside

Michael Walker

Thursday July 26, 2007

The Guardian

Sam Allardyce joked yesterday that he was born a pessimist but, behind the smile, realism is shaping the new Newcastle United manager's thoughts. With Kieron Dyer expected to leave this week, providing West Ham offer a sum in excess of £5m, Allardyce will have some fresh money to spend, but doing so in an increasingly tough transfer market is the cause for a reduction in optimism at St James' Park.

"I'm confident I'll get the number of players we need, " Allardyce said, "but I'm not sure about the quality." This was the first day of the post-Freddy Shepherd era and Allardyce's tone was matched by Shepherd's successor as chairman, Chris Mort. Mort said of transfer dealings: "We will not be throwing silly amounts of money around but Sam and I are definitely in agreement that we need more signings before the start of the season. We have said throughout that the squad needs to be strengthened, particularly in defence. We are talking about a few specific targets. We want players with Premiership experience."

None of yesterday's words were gung-ho. Allardyce referred to targeting "10 to 15 players in the last couple of weeks" but he has been unable to sign any. Partly, he explained, that is due to Newcastle being out of European competition but Allardyce also made the broader point about inflation: "A £1m player five years ago is now a £5m player."

However, after expressing "sadness" at Shepherd's departure, Allardyce added of the delay in making signings: "The changeover has been the biggest problem we've had, of course. It's been very quick considering what's involved in a takeover but there's new people in, the old out and moving around the whole business and structure. Trying to get to where you want to get can be a little bit difficult sometimes and I understand that because you've got to find everything out about the new business, but you can get frustrated because it moves slower than you'd like.

"It's Chris Mort I deal with now in the main but he hasn't had that much experience in football terms, so one would hope that now we'll get even quicker. I can't move any quicker than I am doing, but the problem is that there's lots of players we've targeted and spoken to that have now been taken by other clubs, so the pot of high quality has reduced."

Dyer, 28, is one of the few players with England caps and lengthy Premier League experience not subject to inflation but he is available for purchase. In much the same way that Graeme Souness preceded Jermaine Jenas's sale to Tottenham two years ago - Souness produced the "goldfish bowl" exit strategy - Allardyce talked yesterday of Dyer's "family situation".

Dyer has two young children based in his native Ipswich and wishes to be closer to them. This has caused him to be unsettled on Tyneside after eight years at Newcastle. A move to West Ham would solve the personal problem and simultaneously give Newcastle some spending power.

"I think there's a possibility he might leave due to family reasons," Allardyce said. "It is obviously a shame but when something like this crops up, it might be that the only way to resolve it is to allow him to leave. If and when the offers come in, we will have to consider them."

Allardyce said Newcastle had received no official offer for Dyer but Alan Curbishley, West Ham's manager, said after lastnight's 3-2 friendly defeat at MK Dons: "I'm looking in all areas and it's not often that a club says a player is available. You normally phone up and get told that people are not available, so it's very difficult. But anything can still happen."

Would be suprised if that comment would include the likes of Curtis Davies.

Pearson would more than likely have been banging on about him, but maybe Sam actually knows little about him, but is prepared to give him a shot with the options dwindling down.

I think his confidence has taken a bit of a knock over the past couple of weeks, but maybe he was setting his hopes a little bit too high? who knows.