Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reasonably happy with this. Would like to see Dyers pace replaced, but Smith will give us more options than Dyer. Buying a RB/RW like Steinsson with alot of pace would be a decent move.

Glad it turned out to be Smith not Fletcher mind. Bidding for Diop would be excellent aswell.

Believe me, Gretar Steinsson does not have pace, just like 99% of all Icelandic internationals.

haha gæti ekki verið meira sammála þér  :thup:

Aye.

Grr... It does piss me off seeing us signing a player like Smith when I see Sneijder on tv tonight. I bet we wouldn't even consider making a move for him.

Would be nice to have some ambition, rather than settling for usual predictable shite.

i'm pretty sure the shop he was coming out of is the same clothes shop as where my mate works.

he bought a paul smith t shirt and a pair of boss boxer shorts fact fans.

It's Palmers on Jesmond Rd that was on SSN, just around the corner from my gaff.

Mate of mine owns the shop, he's got one in Fulham too.

Grr... It does piss me off seeing us signing a player like Smith when I see Sneijder on tv tonight. I bet we wouldn't even consider making a move for him.

Would be nice to have some ambition, rather than settling for usual predictable shite.

agree. it's highly frustrating, not so much just because smith is fairly average, but because it means we now aren't going to go out and sign a genuine talent, someone who would actually improve the team. missed opportunity to make a dramatic improvement to the side using the Dyer money and wages, and we've spunked it on someone who shouldn't really be anywhere near the first XI.

Guest Knightrider

Heard this deal will be announced tomorrow as well as Dyers to West Ham

In other news heard Tevez will sign for Man Utd tomorrow west ham getting just 2 million for him

Gemmill ITK?

agree. it's highly frustrating, not so much just because smith is fairly average, but because it means we now aren't going to go out and sign a genuine talent, someone who would actually improve the team. missed opportunity to make a dramatic improvement to the side using the Dyer money and wages, and we've spunked it on someone who shouldn't really be anywhere near the first XI.

It doesn't mean anything of the sort.. also you're massively under rating Alan Smith.  Obviously he's no world beater, but to say he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team is just silly, who are we?.. Barca?

Im not too happy about the signing of Smith, Would rather have someone else if i had the choice. But when he signs (seems almost done) i will support him and hope that he does well for our club. Im not going to waste energy about this signing as it wont make things different, now im just trying to be positive and hope that this imminent transfer turns out to be a good choice by Allardyce.

I mean how often haven't we had really high expectations and felt too optimistic about a new signing only to be disappointed a while after?

Hopefully this transfer could be the other way around, most of us dont feel too good about this and it turns out to be better than anyone would of thought.

As long as we slowly but steadily improve as a team/squad and the hole club goes in the right direction i will be patient and quite happy with things as they hopefully will be on the way up now and in the future. i was so sick of the rollercoast ride we have been in.

Cause my patience has hit rock bottom a long time ago so i "try" to not expect too much too soon in the beginning of everything that is new atm.

For once it feels like the club might have the right strategy to build on from.

Im just so happy that almost everthing is replaced and we can almost start from scratch.

It doesn't mean anything of the sort.. also you're massively under rating Alan Smith.  Obviously he's no world beater, but to say he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team is just silly, who are we?.. Barca?

he's not even close to butt, emre, barton or geremi in central midfield so i think it is a moot point even thinking about putting him there. as a midfielder he's cack. up front i can see him doing alright in the target man role but he's miles behind Viduka and probably as good as Ameobi. As a wide forward he's a poor option as he doesn't have the pace or skill to really make an impression there. i feel the same about this transfer as i did when we bought Steve Carr over Miguel or Nicky Butt over Carrick.

On SSN earlier had a caption showing Viduka and Smith scored 71 goals between them in 90 games together almost a goal a game. It's a proven partnership so it makes sense. Just hope everyone gives the lad a chance before slating him - we write players off a little early sometimes!!

Guest Kenton Magpie

I'm more happy with the potential signing of Smith than I was when i found out we had signed Barton

On SSN earlier had a caption showing Viduka and Smith scored 71 goals between them in 90 games together almost a goal a game. It's a proven partnership so it makes sense. Just hope everyone gives the lad a chance before slating him - we write players off a little early sometimes!!

Somehow I think that might be wrong. Feel free to correct me though.

Alan Smith has been signed because he can play in different formations, something Allardyce will use, people talk about him playing as a striker and a midfielder which is correct but i think we're forgetting that at Leeds he was often used as a right winger, playing the 4-3-3 formation under Allardyce will give him the opportunity to play as the right winger in a front 3, i personally think this is where he'll be used a lot of the time.

I have heard something along those lines before.

Sounds about right tbh. 90 games together = 180 individual appearances. 71 in 180? More than plausible? :dontknow:

Sounds about right tbh. 90 games together = 180 individual appearances. 71 in 180? More than plausible? :dontknow:

I bet Owen and Heskey have something similar tbh.

Alan Smith has been signed because he can play in different formations, something Allardyce will use, people talk about him playing as a striker and a midfielder which is correct but i think we're forgetting that at Leeds he was often used as a right winger, playing the 4-3-3 formation under Allardyce will give him the opportunity to play as the right winger in a front 3, i personally think this is where he'll be used a lot of the time.

fair point there like.

I bet Owen and Heskey have something similar tbh.

No idea on the stats for that combo... :undecided:

Guest Matt10

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/newcastle/article2189695.ece

Smith joins but life is far from black and white for Allardyce

Even in the frenetic world of Newcastle United, yesterday proved particularly hectic as Kieron Dyer, one troubled midfield player, left the North East and Joey Barton, another, was charged with assault. In other developments, Sam Allardyce, the manager, was close to securing two significant signings, while Chris Mort, the chairman, offered supporters reassurance on a wide range of subjects.

As The Times revealed on Tuesday, Allardyce’s £6 million pursuit of Alan Smith, the Manchester United and England utility player, was dependent on West Ham United offering a similar fee for Dyer, whose position on Tyneside had become untenable after he was the target of sustained abuse from fans. Dyer’s car and house were attacked last weekend.

Both players discussed personal terms at their prospective new clubs, while Dyer, who has a long history of injury and illness, was put through a stringent medical at Upton Park. The deal was incomplete last night as West Ham awaited the arrival of medical documents from Newcastle.

Smith also courted interest from Middlesbrough, Everton and Manchester City, but Newcastle’s pursuit has been successful. “I hope to be a Newcastle player by the morning,” Smith, 26, who is expected to be deployed in a midfield role, said.

Newcastle are also tying up the formalities of the free transfer of Caçapa, the 31-year-old Brazil defender who left Lyons at the end of last season and who watched Newcastle’s friendly victory over Juventus on Sunday. “He would be a terrific capture for us,” Allardyce, who has been searching for an experienced centre half, said. “Our fans should not be put off by the fact that they may not have heard of Caçapa because he has certainly been heard of in Brazil and France.”

As a French passport holder, Caçapa does not require a work permit.

The news on Barton, who joined Newcastle from Manchester City this summer for £5.8 million, was less positive. The 24-year-old has been changed with Section 47 assault by Greater Manchester Police over an alleged training-ground attack on Ous-mane Dabo, his former City teammate. Barton will appear at Trafford Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

If Barton denies the charge and the case goes to trial, it can be heard either at magistrates’ court or at Crown Court, in front of a jury. Stuart Pearce, who was the City manager at the time of the incident, and other players are likely to be called as witnesses. The offence is understood to carry a maximum sentence of five years in jail on conviction. A spokesman for Barton said that the player “strenuously denies the charge”.

Mort, who was appointed as Freddy Shepherd’s successor in the aftermath of Mike Ashley’s £133 million takeover at Newcastle, rejected reports that Kevin Keegan or Alan Shearer had been invited back to the club in any kind of managerial capacity. Mort has had discussions with Shearer, but only in relation to the former England captain’s ambassadorial role.

Allardyce has expressed frustration at the slow pace of his squad rebuilding, but Mort has reiterated his belief in the manager. “He is an absolutely top manager, end of story,” he said.

He explained that, with £80 million debts that are “too high for the club to support”, there is an onus on prudence. “One of Sam’s strengths is finding and buying players and we are hoping he will bring some sense and stability to the club’s signings,” Mort said. Suggestions that Ashley is regretting his purchase are misguided. “It is not a short-term project for Mike Ashley or myself,” Mort said. “If you look at the companies Mike has bought, like Dunlop and Slazenger, he has developed them over 20 years.”