Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alan Smith as a replacement for Dyer... probably not a bad signing IMO. Tad on the pricey side but it does keep the midfield (if you consider him as an attacking midfielder) fairly well stocked with options. A completely different kind of player mind you, but I think it's a good signing as long as we DO buy some defenders!

Don't understand why people don't rate Alan Smith.  He's not as bad as some people make out on here.  Any of you watch his goal against Roma? he played very well that night, and I've seen him play very well in many other games too. Would like to think Allardyce would get good fitness and form out of him, plus he can cover a variety of midfield and attacking positions. 

I think all of us are desperate to see more defenders at SJP right now.  I see it as that we already have a budget for the defenders we want and we are close to landing a  left back, centre back and a right back.  Sam's already said that he's missed out on some of the players he wants, but there is still a small amount available of the quality he wants and that he intends to land 3 or 4 players soon.  I'd say Smith replaces Dyer, no expenses made.  Then we splash £10m to £15m on 3 defenders. 

Why waste the £6m on just Smith than spend it on some defenders? We already have good strikers in Owen, Martins, Viduka, Carrol and Ameobi so why do we need Smith? The only thing I can think of is becasue he is a replacement for Dyer even though they are both totally different players.

DEFENDERS

Gemmill's going to start the body count soon, like.

:lol:  I like how he even put DEFENDERS in capitals at the end.  I went through it all last night, but for those that weren't listening:

Allardyce has identified the targets he needs to get in for the defence, and he has the money to purchase them.  With the sale of Dyer he feels he is now a player short in that area, so uses those funds to replace him.  There has been no change to his targets for defenders, because the ones he's identified are still the ones he wants, and there is therefore no reason for him to suddenly think "Wow I've got some extra money.  I'll buy some defenders I didn't previously think I needed."

That's the last time I'm giving this talk. :razz:

Still a s*** replacement for Dyer. Must be better about than Alan Smith, specially for 6m ffs.

Yeh, they're not like for like, but he's a decent(not great) replacement for, OWen, Barton AND Dyer (injuries and sales), i was completely against him being bought but thinking deeper its like purchasing 2/3 new players. £6m too steep but from Morts interview i get the feeling that money hasn't been the major issue, rather the personnel not wanting to come being the issue.

Guest samtoonarmy

Why waste the £6m on just Smith than spend it on some defenders? We already have good strikers in Owen, Martins, Viduka, Carrol and Ameobi so why do we need Smith? The only thing I can think of is becasue he is a replacement for Dyer even though they are both totally different players.

DEFENDERS

It's not a waste, think Smith will prove alot of the people on this board wrong. He's not been bought as a striker as I can see it.  We've got addition money for defenders (don't believe this 10 million thing at all... :coolsmiley:)

How can you be so sure that we have additional money to spend on defenders after this £6m on Smith?

He wants to move from Man Utd to play first team football but I dont think that he will play first team football as a striker because Owen and Martins are above him in the pecking order in my opinion. The only other position he can play is in midfield so I agree that he is not being bought as a striker.

Bojinov was less than we're paying for Smith, basically direct replacement for Dyer, young and actually got some talent. :hmm: And yeah he's a sexy player, but still a better player than Smith.

Ugly as fuck like. ;)

Bojinov was less than we're paying for Smith, basically direct replacement for Dyer, young and actually got some talent. :hmm: And yeah he's a sexy player, but still a better player than Smith.

Maybe we should have gone for Rhain Davis then, eh.

Don`t know if this have been up before, but we`re supposed to launch a £3 mil bid on Fulhams Bouba Diop: http://www.fulhamweb.com/fulhamweb/news/result.asp?article_id=6654

I don`t think he`s Dyers replacement, but just anoter buy, as Dragutinovic, or?

I'd love Diop to come here!  We certainly would be no push over in the midfield like the last few seasons!

Plus it will give Emre the free role Dyer had, But Smith?? Nah he just doesn't fill me with any passion whatsoever!

Diop isn't a bad player, but after Smith, all I want is defenders.

I don't mind us signing Smith and Diop, as long as money is there and waiting to be splashed on 3 decent defeners.  We'd have a decent squad if 3 defenders plus Smith & Diop come to us.

Guest samtoonarmy

The money from Kieron Dyer moving to west Ham would probably cover the £6m fee for Smith... just realised :razz:Were therefore not really losing any money so that means there must be some money available on defenders.

The money from Kieron Dyer moving to west Ham would probably cover the £6m fee for Smith... just realised :razz:Were therefore not really losing any money so that means there must be some money available on defenders.

Yup.  Some people feel that we should be using that £6million towards better defenders, but I'd rather take Smith and the defenders.  Just think, if we do get injuries it means Pattison is less likely to get a game.  Ideal.

Maybe we should have gone for Rhain Davis then, eh.

:lol: More technical ability than Smith.  blueyes.gif

Yup.  Some people feel that we should be using that £6million towards better defenders, but I'd rather take Smith and the defenders.  Just think, if we do get injuries it means Pattison is less likely to get a game.  Ideal.

True. We should have 10 midfielders just to make sure Pattison don`t get a minute! Or a seccond!

One point in my mind is would Alan Smith not seriously dislike Mark Viduka?

I just remember in Leeds relegation season Dukes not giving 2 sh!ts whilst Eminem played his arse off. If it were my club going down and the 'star' striker couldn't give a rats ass he certainly wouldn't be on my Christmas Card list.

For the record, I'm all for Smiths arrival, he'll score at least 5 more than Dyer in a season for less money and give us added bite away from home. Cult hero in the making

Guest sombrero

can i have the triple defender burger please with a galactico relish on top.

that roma goal is one game, u cant rate a player based on his amazing performance in one game. if someone asked me how good i thought alan smith was, the first thing to come into to my mind is that roma game. dont get me wrong i do rate him, but i think its bittersweet because i recon id be alot more excited about getting him HAD WE ALREADY sorted out the defence (wheres D. rumsfeld when ya need him!). its like getting your fries sorted but you dont wana start eating them till your cheeseburger arrives! assumign you had the change for the cheeseburger in the first place! excuse the fast food chat im kinda hungry!

Not complaining too much. Smith's an attacker/midfielder - Dyer was an attacker/midfielder. You can see the sense in it. It's an improvement to the squad as far as i am concerned, as i think people underrate Smith. Not to say i don't think there were better options out there.

One point in my mind is would Alan Smith not seriously dislike Mark Viduka?

I just remember in Leeds relegation season Dukes not giving 2 sh!ts whilst Eminem played his arse off. If it were my club going down and the 'star' striker couldn't give a rats ass he certainly wouldn't be on my Christmas Card list.

For the record, I'm all for Smiths arrival, he'll score at least 5 more than Dyer in a season for less money and give us added bite away from home. Cult hero in the making

I'm pretty sure that Viduka's performances, in terms of goals scored, did far more to help keep Leeds up than Smithy's. And he was so gutted he fucked straight off to their biggest rivals. Would be hypocritical to say the least if he did dislike Viduka for those reasons.

Guest sombrero

Not complaining too much. Smith's an attacker/midfielder - Dyer was an attacker/midfielder. You can see the sense in it. It's an improvement to the squad as far as i am concerned, as i think people underrate Smith. Not to say i don't think there were better options out there.

agreed, it is a sensible swap. but its a matter of days now till the 11th of august. i hate panic transfers!  >:(

don't see a problem with this signing should it come off. competes for the midfield places, back-up for stikers, excellent work-rate and makes the side more aggressive, something we have missed since bellamy. the lad is a good footballer lets not forget and the only reason he isn't playing for man u this season is because of tevez, nani, andersson etc. good buy in my humblest, however, it is getting to panic time regarding the defence.

that roma goal is one game, u cant rate a player based on his amazing performance in one game. if someone asked me how good i thought alan smith was, the first thing to come into to my mind is that roma game. dont get me wrong i do rate him, but i think its bittersweet because i recon id be alot more excited about getting him HAD WE ALREADY sorted out the defence (wheres D. rumsfeld when ya need him!). its like getting your fries sorted but you dont wana start eating them till your cheeseburger arrives! assumign you had the change for the cheeseburger in the first place! excuse the fast food chat im kinda hungry!

I mentioned one game, but also said that I've seen him play well in many others.  I don't really have the time to type up each time he's played well, so honed in one that you most likely would have seen to use as an example.  I never judge a player based on one game mate, so try not to make assumptions that I am.  Seen him play many times, think we he will get more goals than Dyer ever will in a season and it means we have quality in depth upfront and in midfield. 

Totally agree with you that I'd liked to have the defence sorted first, but do we miss out on Smith to another club if we can't nail the defenders first? - I'm confidnet Sam will get in the defenders before the deadline.

Guest shaun11177

I would rather have bought Baines for the same money-this sounds like a panic buy-oh he's available lets buy him then. If the club were going to sell Ameobi i could understand it or perhaps this hints at Owen going in 6 months time.

As for playing in midfield-never saw any evidence while at Man Utd that Smith could actually play in midfield. Fill in in an emergency maybe.

I mentioned one game, but also said that I've seen him play well in many others.  I don't really have the time to type up each time he's played well, so honed in one that you most likely would have seen to use as an example.  I never judge a player based on one game mate, so try not to make assumptions that I am.  Seen him play many times, think we he will get more goals than Dyer ever will in a season and it means we have quality in depth upfront and in midfield. 

Totally agree with you that I'd liked to have the defence sorted first, but do we miss out on Smith to another club if we can't nail the defenders first? - I'm confidnet Sam will get in the defenders before the deadline.

:thup: