Next signing an experienced centre-half for 'free' (Chronicle)

Rich

I'll have until at least September 1st 2008, if that's alright.

Shepherd had a decade here to get things right, and he didn't start losing me until towards the very end despite some serious ups and downs along the way. In fact, with him bringing Allardyce in he'd as good as won me round again to the point where I didn't mind him having one final roll of the dice on his terms (but bear in mind my complete ignorance of the financial side of things, which some say were getting very worrying.)

Ashley's had about a month here, hasn't yet done anything to be majorly criticised for (outside of what's been speculated) and I haven't got an opinion either way on him just yet.

Surely that's fair enough?

Ask me September 1st.

of course.

Simple fact is though, with reference to your last post, Dalglish never made noises about not being backed etc etc did he ? It seems to me that the only people making excuses is those people who thought anybody would be better than the Halls and Shepherd, and are now defending and making excuses for the new board.

Privately, you must be wondering if they are going to back their manager, but having took the view in the past that it wasn't so important, you maybe aren't so bothered.

As you say time will tell. If you aren't worried, by what Allardyce has been saying, and the possibility that he might bugger off through feeling let down by the board, you should be.

I have have seen this happen before at Newcastle, and believe me I don't want to see it happen again

Shepherd had a decade here to get things right, and he didn't start losing me until towards the very end despite some serious ups and downs along the way. In fact, with him bringing Allardyce in he'd as good as won me round again to the point where I didn't mind him having one final roll of the dice on his terms (but bear in mind my complete ignorance of the financial side of things, which some say were getting very worrying.)

Ashley's had about a month here, hasn't yet done anything to be majorly criticised for (outside of what's been speculated) and I haven't got an opinion either way on him just yet.

As I said, but having a board who's manager is coming out in the press and saying "they know nothing about football" doesn't look too good does it ?

I didn't expect Ashley to bankroll the club, unlike others, but this could be a bad situation. They have got to wise up, and you have to face the real possibility that they may not have the ambition you thought they would. Time will tell.

Guest Knightrider

Ask me September 1st.

of course.

Simple fact is though, with reference to your last post, Dalglish never made noises about not being backed etc etc did he ? It seems to me that the only people making excuses is those people who thought anybody would be better than the Halls and Shepherd, and are now defending and making excuses for the new board.

Privately, you must be wondering if they are going to back their manager, but having took the view in the past that it wasn't so important, you maybe aren't so bothered.

As you say time will tell. If you aren't worried, by what Allardyce has been saying, and the possibility that he might bugger off through feeling let down by the board, you should be.

I have have seen this happen before at Newcastle, and believe me I don't want to see it happen again

Big Sam isn't saying "they won't back me", he's just whinging about the transfer window and basically wanting them to hurry up their review, understandably, but if people stopped reading between the lines for a moment and actually listened to the manager, they'd realise he has said a few times now that he understands why they need to do a review and all that.

Massive overreactions from some on here like, now we are talking about the possibility of the manager fucking off because he hasn't had some money to spend yet.

JWTBQFHWYA

/one for Alex to decipher ;)

Didn't the same thing happen at Liverpool a few weeks ago. The media were getting feck all from Benitez yet they started throwing up articles of a rift and rafa going to leave with a lack of funds yet a couple of weeks down the line everything is hunky dorey again they have spent millions and release thier impressive plans for their new stadium.

Now I am not saying all this will happen at Newcastle but it did highlight how wrong the media got the situation at Liverpool there is a strong chance that they are spouting shite off again!

Ask me September 1st.

of course.

Big Sam isn't saying "they won't back me", he's just whinging about the transfer window and basically wanting them to hurry up their review, understandably, but if people stopped reading between the lines for a moment and actually listened to the manager, they'd realise he has said a few times now that he understands why they need to do a review and all that.

Massive overreactions from some on here like, now we are talking about the possibility of the manager fucking off because he hasn't had some money to spend yet.

JWTBQFHWYA

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=big-sam-s-cash-blow-problem%26method=full%26objectid=19538122%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

He said: "They know very little of football. It'd be pretty foolish not to back me now."

Guest Knightrider

Didn't the same thing happen at Liverpool a few weeks ago. The media were getting feck all from Benitez yet they started throwing up articles of a rift and rafa going to leave with a lack of funds yet a couple of weeks down the line everything is hunky dorey again they have spent millions and release thier impressive plans for their new stadium.

Now I am not saying all this will happen at Newcastle but it did highlight how wrong the media got the situation at Liverpool there is a strong chance that they are spouting shite off again!

Aye, and RAWK their version of N.O went into meltdown, now the Yanks are heroes and they are going to win the league.

Jesus Wept To Be Quite Fucking Honest With You All? I'm good at these like.

Agree with Tisd09 too about the Liverpool comparison although reading between the lines I think Allardyce may be a little concerned about things.

Guest Knightrider

Ask me September 1st.

of course.

JWTBQFHWYA

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=big-sam-s-cash-blow-problem%26method=full%26objectid=19538122%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

He said: "They know very little of football. It'd be pretty foolish not to back me now."

One quote, they wrote all that absed on one quote? Surely you don't expect Sam to have giving them that and just that? No, there will be other comments like "but that won't happen as they've assured me and we are working together hard to get things concluded" like he's said a few times. Anyway the Mirror, howay, they hate our guts.

I am sure he is concerned because any fool can see that we have a very thin squad and we are running out of time before the season starts, no matter how good our friendly results have been the squad we have would struggle in the Premiership.

As I said, but having a board who's manager is coming out in the press and saying "they know nothing about football" doesn't look too good does it ?

I didn't expect Ashley to bankroll the club, unlike others, but this could be a bad situation. They have got to wise up, and you have to face the real possibility that they may not have the ambition you thought they would. Time will tell.

I don't have any preconceptions about them, that's the whole point. I didn't buy into this "£50M budget", "unlimited fee for a megastar" stuff and I don't buy into the fact that Allardyce is now getting nothing. I can understand people getting twitchy with the lack of activity, but from the looks of it things are certainly not being missed out on because of the want of trying. As you say, time will tell.

I do see your concerns about their lack of football knowledge and it's obviously the case otherwise Allardyce wouldn't have said it, but I'm not sure what else we expected? Was Shepherd too ill to be of any real use to them in the early stages? Did they discover some things on his part that were unforgivable enough to get shot of him straight away? Did he want to help them anyway? We don't know the full story, as always, which is a fucking killer on here.

If I can speculate on a personal level: to me it seems like David Dein would have been their ideal solution to this problem because of his knowledge and it certainly seems like they've been forced into biting off more than they can chew on a personal level (especially Mort) after this didn't come off... and also that Big Sam might be doing the jobs of a "DOF" and a manager at the moment. Something, which if true, will obviously need resolving sooner rather than later - but on both Sam and the board's terms, not just one or the other.

This obviously shows that I do have personal concerns about things, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know better than those involved at the club currently and I certainly don't know what they do about the takeover/finances/etc.

I can appreciate, however, that the changes we've seen/will see are absolutely massive and will perhaps eclipse anything we've seen before at this club, yourself included. All we can really do is hope for the best for now.

Guest Knightrider

Jesus Wept To Be Quite Fucking Honest With You All? I'm good at these like.

You sir are indeed, spot on.

I hate half the fuckers i work with and we still end up with good results. Infact it is far more healthy for the club that Allardyce and Mort etc have conflicting opinions, results in a better productivity.

Sami hyypia?

On 10 August 2005, it was reported that Hyypiä had agreed to a new three-year contract after weeks of talks with the Reds which would keep him at Anfield until 2008.

Does that means he's only free in January or something?

In January free for negotiations but to transfer only at the end of his current contract! And I think he's very much in the Benitez plans still as a 1st backup for Agger & Carra pair.

I'd certainly take him before Cacapa but can't really see it happening

Ah the luxuries of having a billionaire owner eh?

We haven't operated among so many free transfer players since the late 1980's and early 1990's. If we don't back Allardyce, he will bugger off.

Still, anyone but the Halls and Shepherd who let us all down all these years.

Give them a chance man, I'll judge them after a few transfer windows. I seem to remember Dalglish having to sign a few freebies when FS become Chairman, Rush, Barnes and Pearce.

I think you would find that was due to the initial constraints of becoming a PLC, maybe not though, maybe Dalglish wanted these signings because he knew and trusted them, who knows.  We don't have any choice but to give them time, however the noises from Allardyce are worrying, and you won't be saying this if he buggers off.

And could our lack of spending now not be down to this takeover and the review process? Of course it is. Just like Dalglish having to sell and bring in freebies had something to do with the floatation and not FS withholding money.

It was also because we'd spunked more than we could afford on Shearer.

Penny pinching in defence again. Will this club ever learn?

Looking at the defence we put out against Juventus I think it'd be an understatement to say we need some investment in that area. If you believe we're targetting freebies purely because they're the right people for the job then good for you, but I think it's because the money isn't there and we're getting whatever we can, a view backed up by practically all of Allardyce's comments over the last couple of weeks ("can't guarantee quality but ill get some numbers in", "targets are disappearing rapidly", "missed out on loads of players recently", "clubs like fulham are spending much more than us", "I need to convince the new owners to spend and quickly" etc etc etc).

But spending a fortune doesn't guarentee that we will get a good defender.

I would love to see us splash the cash but I think after what Freddy and Souness did 2 seasons ago that we all agree that spending a fortune doesn't always guarentee any kind of success!

Looking at the defence we put out against Juventus I think it'd be an understatement to say we need some investment in that area. If you believe we're targetting freebies purely because they're the right people for the job then good for you, but I think it's because the money isn't there and we're getting whatever we can, a view backed up by practically all of Allardyce's comments over the last couple of weeks ("can't guarantee quality but ill get some numbers in", "targets are disappearing rapidly", "missed out on loads of players recently", "clubs like fulham are spending much more than us", "I need to convince the new owners to spend and quickly" etc etc etc).

Since when has Oliver's word been gospel anyway? And now the new regime are in charge and we have a new manager he hasn't even got the inside info he used to have available to him.

I agree with what your saying. However, i'm a firm believer that there is alot going on behind the scenes that we don't know.

If Mort and co aren't releasing money just to be stubborn then i will be disappointed but because this is a new takeover there has to be more to it than that. Obviously Sam is going to be disapointed by his lack of funds but he know he is capable of building defences with less than hes suppoed to be allocated now.

I'd be shocked if we didn't end up with a couple of decent defenders before the window closes.

I don't have any preconceptions about them, that's the whole point. I didn't buy into this "£50M budget", "unlimited fee for a megastar" stuff and I don't buy into the fact that Allardyce is now getting nothing. I can understand people getting twitchy with the lack of activity, but from the looks of it things are certainly not being missed out on because of the want of trying. As you say, time will tell.

I do see your concerns about their lack of football knowledge and it's obviously the case otherwise Allardyce wouldn't have said it, but I'm not sure what else we expected? Was Shepherd too ill to be of any real use to them in the early stages? Did they discover some things on his part that were unforgivable enough to get shot of him straight away? Did he want to help them anyway? We don't know the full story, as always, which is a fucking killer on here.

If I can speculate on a personal level: to me it seems like David Dein would have been their ideal solution to this problem because of his knowledge and it certainly seems like they've been forced into biting off more than they can chew on a personal level (especially Mort) after this didn't come off... and also that Big Sam might be doing the jobs of a "DOF" and a manager at the moment. Something, which if true, will obviously need resolving sooner rather than later - but on both Sam and the board's terms, not just one or the other.

This obviously shows that I do have personal concerns about things, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that I know better than those involved at the club currently and I certainly don't know what they do about the takeover/finances/etc.

I can appreciate, however, that the changes we've seen/will see are absolutely massive and will perhaps eclipse anything we've seen before at this club, yourself included. All we can really do is hope for the best for now.

The optimism I feel is solely down to Allardyce. The board have done absolutely nothing yet. I hope they do. If they don't do any more, or generate more money, than the old board, what then ? If they don't back him so much, what then ? Face facts, so far they haven't shown much inclination. They know nowt about football, that in itself is pretty damning. You don't have to know anything about football to know that you need to back your managers if you want success and get among the money, if thats his objective.

I've no doubt that there has been some changes, and will be more, but at the moment they appear to be Allardyce inspired ones, unless he goes.