Next signing an experienced centre-half for 'free' (Chronicle)

Rich

In the Boukary Drame story on the back of the Chronicle today is a line in which our own Mystic Meg, the infamous Alan Oliver, predicts that before Drame signs we'll be seeing an experienced central defender joining us at SJP on a free-transfer. Here are the exact words:

"...but I believe his next signing will be an experienced central defender who will not be costing the club a fee."

Let the speculation commence.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ah the luxuries of having a billionaire owner eh?

I think this review is going to put a dampener on any wild spending Big Sam has.

It is frustrating for fans as they see Man City and West Ham spending wildly, however the basis of their squads werent there, at Newcastle we have the basis of a good squad so only tinkering is required. Tinkering being a new back line!

Guest Invicta_Toon

I think this review is going to put a dampener on any wild spending Big Sam has.

It is frustrating for fans as they see Man City and West Ham spending wildly, however the basis of their squads werent there, at Newcastle we have the basis of a good squad so only tinkering is required. Tinkering being a new back line!

no signs of strageic reviews there tbh, I can't wait till we start the season knowing exactly who we have to buy last month

I think Ashley wants to sort out our massive debts and big problems with the clubs foundations before giving out silly money to Sam.

Sorting out the debts either means paying it off, which takes a signature, or restructuring it, which means we'll be here forever until we sign a player for decent money.

Guest pont-toon

Why spend if we don't have to?

makes perfect sense

however i'd like to see some cash invested as a sign of Asleys long term commitment and ambition

Guest exilim

Ashley out. If that fucker don't give us at least 15m this summer, he's worse than Shepherd.

Shepherd in, Ashley out!

This inference that we NEED to spend (and big) every time is bollocks. People seem disappointed we're not spending money on this player. If we get this guy and he can do the job then who cares?

Of course i'd like to see us spending if it meant BETTER players btw.

We have no defence and once again we're trying to fix that problem on the cheap. It's the one area of the team that needs real investment and yet again it's not happening. No-one at this club ever learns from the mistakes of the past.

Guest exilim

Ashley out. If that fucker don't give us at least 15m this summer, he's worse than Shepherd.

Shepherd in, Ashley out!

Sheperd was broke, so i don't think we would have got 15 million

It's okay, there's always a local bank :lol: