Buffon: Andy "The Paintbrush" Carroll will be a star

NSG

www.nufc.co.uk

Buffon Praise For Toon Starlet Andy

By Craig Hope

THE world's most expensive goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has hailed teenage striker Andy Carroll after the Magpies starlet scored his first senior goal past the Italian stopper.

Big Andy took just five minutes to break his Toon duck after replacing fellow scorer Albert Luque just after the half-hour mark, finishing in style with a left-footed strike at the Leazes End.

And, after the Geordies' 2-0 win, £32m World Cup winner Buffon had nothing but praise for the Gateshead-born frontman.

"Carroll played like what we call in Italy a paintbrush striker, he was there to add the finishing touch," said the 29-year-old.

"He played well on his own and although Newcastle were aiming for his head with some of his passes, he showed he can play with his feet too because he laid the ball off excellently to the supporting midfielders.

"He will be an asset because he can find the players around him in different ways and he has already shown he has great awareness."

After beating Juventus, how will United get on against Sampdoria at St. James' on Sunday? Make sure YOU are there to find out. Click below and buy your seat online today ...

Buffon, who was involved in a horror clash with Big Andy which left the Academy product slightly dazed, also took time to wish the Magpies all the best for the new season.

"I wish Newcastle and their fans all of the best wishes for the new season and I think they will do well," he told The Evening Chronicle.

"I like the club and they play in the same colours as Juventus and there are similarities between the clubs.

"The last time we played here in the Champions League a few years ago, I enjoyed the atmosphere generated by the home fans.

"They are a good set of supporters and I was impressed by everything at the club."

Meanwhile, Oba Martins explained how he has been helping Carroll in recent game and revealed his delight after watching the youngster bag his first black and white goal.

"I was so pleased to see Andy score," said the former Inter star.

"It's hard when you are a young player to come in and impress, but he has done it.

"I am happy to look after him and help him as a young player.

"He is still just 18 and so you have to do that."

"He is learning, but he is doing very well - I am happy for him."

To take with a pinch of salt as post match niceness, but it was a very classy finish indeed.

Agreed, but it cant do any harm to the lads confidence to have a player like Buffon talking about him.

Makes up for the horror collision.

Am sure Carroll will be delighted Buffon is talking about him in such light. Buffon was clearly worried he was goign to score to do that in a friendly.

Guest Moe-Ali

I put the name Dave in wikipedia and i got : "An extremely active poster on a newcastle united forum, 19638 (20.737 per day)"

Guest Moe-Ali

Maybe Buffon would want to come here to play with Carrol then!? After all we do have money to spend.

No, by the way, I don't want him. Not good enough.

:cheesy:

Rather given tbh :lol:

Guest Knightrider

Buffon was getting a lot of stick from the Gallowgate but a few bairns were shouting to him for a wave and he did, then smiled at some of the more cretinous comments being directed towards him, seemed a canny bloke who actually swapped shirts with Carroll I think and the two had what appeared to be a good chat after the match. Despite the stick he was getting he seemed good humoured about it all.

Guest Gemmill

"I like the club and they play in the same colours as Juventus and there are similarities between the clubs.

No, you play in the same colours as us, bitch.

After THAT thread, I read all your posts in Dale Winton's voice.  This one works particularly well. :lol:

I'm quite excited by Carroll. Shows the importants of a youth system. Depending on how good he turns out he could save us from anywhere between 1-15m in transfer funds.

I like the fact he can learn alot from a mix of different strikers such as Owen, Viduka and Martins.

Guest Gemmill

Good to see that old experienced warhorse Martins taking a youngster under his wing  :laugh2:

Those comments of his brought me right back to the 21 or 28 nonsense.

:lol:  The mask slipped for a second in that interview tbf.  Those are the words of a 28 year old.  FACT!

I'm told he retrieved the situation with a well timed "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap!"