Thaksin 'not fit to run Man City' ?

Jamie

A leading human rights group has written to the Premier League to challenge Thaksin Shinawatra's right to own Manchester City.

Human Rights Watch (HRW) claims Thaksin is "a human rights abuser of the worst kind" and should not have passed the League's 'fit and proper person' test.

Thaksin, the Thai prime minister from 2001 to 2006, denies the allegations.

"Under any definition, I don't see how Thaksin can be fit and proper," HRW's Brad Adams told BBC Sport.

"I've written a letter to the Premier League asking what this test means."

Thaksin's lawyer, Noppadol Pattama, told BBC Sport that the allegations were completely unfounded.

"The civil and human rights charges against him have never been proven," said Noppadol.

"My client deserves to be treated as an innocent man, until proven guilty.

"So far there hasn't been any solid evidence against him."

The Premier League has replied to the letter and issued a statement defending the fit and proper person test.

"We have very clear rules on the ownership of our clubs," the statement read.

"These rules go above and beyond any requirement by company law and are some of the sternest in any UK industry."

Amnesty International shares many of HRW's concerns and their spokesperson told BBC Sport: "Thaksin did preside over some very serious human rights violations.

"If the Premier League wants to take any of that into account when making their decisions, we're happy to make our documents available to them."

The allegations against Thaksin are that, during his time as Thai prime minister, he:

Presided over extrajudicial killings during the notorious "war on drugs". HRW says 2,500 people were killed during one three-month period at the start of 2003.

Told the Thai military to employ any means to suppress an insurgency in the south of Thailand.

Suppressed the Thai media.

Thaksin's lawyer, Noppadol, countered: "As far as I am concerned, he (Thaksin) has never instructed any public officer to execute a drug dealer

"We just tried to solve the drug problem in Thailand by getting tough with criminals. But he has never issued any instructions for shoot-to-kill policies.

"I hope Manchester City fans and British people are fair-minded. They should suspend their judgement before deciding Thaksin is not fit. He is a fit and proper man to run the club."

Prospective owners must pass a "fit and proper person test" before buying a Premier League football club.

This is basically a list of offences, which the prospective owner must not have been convicted of.

Thaksin passed this before completing his buy-out of City earlier this month.

The former Thai Prime Minister faces charges of conflict of interest and dereliction of duty following a land deal conducted by his wife, Pojamarn, in 2003.

If convicted, the Thai government could request his extradition from Britain.

However, this would almost certainly not be granted, because the request would probably be seen as being politically motivated.

Thailand is ruled by a military-installed government that assumed power by overthrowing Thaksin in a coup in 2006.

Yet the situation could change if a democratically-elected government made the request - and elections are scheduled for December this year in Thailand.

Noppadol said he was sure his client would be acquitted if a democratic government assumed power in Thailand.

"We will be able to prove his innocence after the general election when we are sure our client will get a fair trial," he told BBC Sport.

If he gets evicted from Britain,what would happen to all the money he has spent on new players ?

Guest MaetihS

I am a fund manager and have invested in equities in Asia and have to say, under Thaksin, Thailand was in better economical state and the country was far more investment friendly than the current dire state.  Many investors have concurred with me and hope that it can get itself together to return as one of the darling markets alongside China, Vietnam, India and Singapore. Yes I think he is corrupted but he made the country far more prosperous than it can be in its history...now it is just a shambles market to invest.

I am a fund manager and have invested in equities in Asia and have to say, under Thaksin, Thailand was in better economical state and the country was far more investment friendly than the current dire state.  Many investors have concurred with me and hope that it can get itself together to return as one of the darling markets alongside China, Vietnam, India and Singapore. Yes I think he is corrupted but he made the country far more prosperous than it can be in its history...now it is just a shambles market to invest.

Jesus i thought you were going to ask me for my sort code for a moment.  O0

So what you're saying is that as long as Man City fans don't mind a few thousand murders and the local papers don't mind being supressed under threat of death then everything will be fine?  ;D

Guest Invicta_Toon

So what you're saying is that as long as Man City fans don't mind a few thousand murders and the local papers don't mind being supressed under threat of death then everything will be fine?  ;D

well no-one's complaining about Ashley's Indonesian sweat shops

Touche

Nobody complained about Freddy's either :)

Guest Invicta_Toon

Freddy owned Adidas? why weren't we told? sounds like macbeth dropped the ball again

Freddy owned Adidas? why weren't we told? sounds like macbeth dropped the ball again

No but Freddy did have a deal for shirts to be made in those kind of conditions, as do most Football clubs..  Also he used to go down there and whip the workers into action himself  :laugh:

Oh and Ashley only had a 3% stake in Adidas.  So he only had 3% blame in those sweat shops :lol:

Guest yoshi

There are claims that Singapore's laundered money from Indonesia right after Suharto was overthrown. It's prosperous all right, but does that make everything that's wrong, right?

So what if Thaksin - or anyone, as a matter of fact - is corrupt, so long as he brings in the money, no?

I'm sorry, but if that's the prevailing attitude of the Premiership and its fans these days, then good luck, cos this is no longer a "beautiful game".

So what if Thaksin - or anyone, as a matter of fact - is corrupt, so long as he brings in the money, no?

[sarcasm] Yeah, we should all just cheat and lie at the expense of everyone else. Be a much better world then. [/sarcasm]

Give it some thought mate. :)

There are claims that Singapore's laundered money from Indonesia right after Suharto was overthrown. It's prosperous all right, but does that make everything that's wrong, right?

I'm sorry, but if that's the prevailing attitude of the Premiership and its fans these days, then good luck, cos this is no longer a "beautiful game".

Don't know about that, but I audit investment funds every day, and it's certainly the attitude of most fund managers.

Singapore is many things but corruption is not one of them - they will sue you shitless for suggesting it AND make you turn up in court to show your  "evidence".  One of the reasons it IS sucessful is because its the only place in Asia that isn't corrupt

Thailand is something else ...... . and Indonesia is beyond hope

• 1 year later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7555512.stm

Thaksin could face League probe 

The chief of the Premier League says he would be willing to subject Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra to the fit and proper person test.

Thaksin faces corruption charges in Thailand and a warrant was issued for his arrest after he failed to appear in court in Bangkok on Monday.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: "If we feel the rule has been breached, we will invoke it.

"(But) we have a club owner who has not yet been found guilty of any offence."

The test was introduced to ensure that only "fit and proper people" are owners or directors of Premier League clubs.

It states that "any director of a club is automatically disqualified" if convicted of one of a number of offences by a 'competent court' anywhere in the world." 

Thaksin is currently facing charges of corruption and abuse of power in Thailand, which he has denied.

Scudamore added: "We will not turn a blind eye to issues of a serious nature (but) it is quite a complex matter and we can't just make a judgement on the spot."

He also said the league would seek advice from the UK Home Office and Foreign Office before making any decision.

Thaksin's wife, Pojaman, was sentenced to three years in jail for tax fraud two weeks ago but was granted bail.

The couple fled to Britain on Sunday after watching the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games in Beijing.

The Thai government could ask for Britain to extradite Thaksin so he can face trial in Bangkok.

The two countries have a long-standing extradition treaty and Thailand's democratic government is recognised by Britain.

Seriously, what can they do about this now? ???