Kieron Dyer

DJ_NUFC

i actually think Dyer looked at his best in the rare times he played under Souness and Roeder. He became a lot more composed in front of goal for instance, even if he can only "place" the ball rather than blast it. If he stays fit i think Wham have a very good player on their hands and one who we know works well with Bellamy.

Personally i think he's a better player than Smith, Dyer scored 7 goals last season playing as a link-man in a hopeless side, Smith has 2 in 51 despite playing up-front in half those games for the best side in the country. and, like a lot of pacy players, i don't think you can even accurately measure Dyer's strengths in statistics. i appreciate Smith brings qualities that you'd never associate with Dyer - aggression, work-rate, selflessness, solidity and so on. though you can pick up players with those strengths cheaply rather than for £6m (Faye from Bolton for instance). As a midfielder Smith reminds me of Parker, albeit with a better first touch and less caution, but essentially a huff and puff worker who produces little. As a forward i'd say he's a bit better but doesn't exactly offer much variety. not saying i don't want him in the squad, he is good cover and decent enough in a number of key positions, but i wouldn't want Smith to be here at the expense of a genuine replacement for Dyer/Nobby.

you say players like smith can be picked up cheaply but then go on to compare him favourably to Parker who went for £7m??

You can pick players up like Parker quite cheaply too tbh.

i actually think Dyer looked at his best in the rare times he played under Souness and Roeder. He became a lot more composed in front of goal for instance, even if he can only "place" the ball rather than blast it. If he stays fit i think Wham have a very good player on their hands and one who we know works well with Bellamy.

Personally i think he's a better player than Smith, Dyer scored 7 goals last season playing as a link-man in a hopeless side, Smith has 2 in 51 despite playing up-front in half those games for the best side in the country. and, like a lot of pacy players, i don't think you can even accurately measure Dyer's strengths in statistics. i appreciate Smith brings qualities that you'd never associate with Dyer - aggression, work-rate, selflessness, solidity and so on. though you can pick up players with those strengths cheaply rather than for £6m (Faye from Bolton for instance). As a midfielder Smith reminds me of Parker, albeit with a better first touch and less caution, but essentially a huff and puff worker who produces little. As a forward i'd say he's a bit better but doesn't exactly offer much variety. not saying i don't want him in the squad, he is good cover and decent enough in a number of key positions, but i wouldn't want Smith to be here at the expense of a genuine replacement for Dyer/Nobby.

you say players like smith can be picked up cheaply but then go on to compare him favourably to Parker who went for £7m??

Geremi > free

Geremi > free

A bit harsh on Geremi there IMO.

does that mean workhorse midfielders like smith can't be picked up cheaply? sounds a bit fallacious.

Still got a fucking slow midfield. Top teams don't tend to.

If you look at the sort of players that Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool's squad are full of I'm struggling to see them as being much quicker than ourselves in the middle, we've been over-blessed with pace, if you like, for a long time now - maybe too much pace and not enough technique? If you went through the "big four" squads, even just in the midfield areas, they aren't exactly flooded with pace. You've got the likes of SWP, Pennant, Nani, Ronaldo, Robben, Malouda, Walcott, Kalou and Kewell (at a push) - none of whom are central midfielders, which is where people seem majorly concerned with our pace.

Makelele, Lampard and Essien are hardly lightning-quick in Chelsea's engine room.

Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, neither, for Liverpool.

Carrick, Hargreaves and Scholes aren't any quicker as a group than our lot, probably slower.

Fabregas, Gilberto, Hleb or Rosicky aren't turbo-charged at all, either.

It's not as essential as people are suggesting, but it is useful to have pace in the right areas, even then Chelsea have only really had Robben OR SWP on the park, fairly rarely together, and Joe Cole isn't super-fast either. We still have N'Zogbia and Martins as the two stand-out speed-demons in our squad, so we're pretty much on-par with the big-four. Emre has a bit of pace about him, Smith isn't exactly slow, Geremi plays the game at a good tempo and there's still Milner and Owen to think about who could, theoretically, play in these "wide areas" we're discussing.

I do see how pace can be useful, but I honestly don't think we're much slower than any of the "top teams" in this division.

Still got a f****** slow midfield. Top teams don't tend to.

If you look at the sort of players that Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool's squad are full of I'm struggling to see them as being much quicker than ourselves in the middle, we've been over-blessed with pace, if you like, for a long time now - maybe too much pace and not enough technique? If you went through the "big four" squads, even just in the midfield areas, they aren't exactly flooded with pace. You've got the likes of SWP, Pennant, Nani, Ronaldo, Robben, Malouda, Walcott, Kalou and Kewell (at a push) - none of whom are central midfielders, which is where people seem majorly concerned with our pace.

Makelele, Lampard and Essien are hardly lightning-quick in Chelsea's engine room.

Carrick, Hargreaves and Scholes aren't any quicker as a group than our lot, probably slower.

It's not as essential as people are suggesting, but it is useful to have pace in the right areas, even then Chelsea have only really had Robben OR SWP on the park, fairly rarely together, and Joe Cole isn't super-fast either. We still have N'Zogbia and Martins as the two stand-out speed-demons in our squad, so we're pretty much on-par with the big-four. Emre has a bit of pace about him, Smith isn't exactly slow, Geremi plays the game at a good tempo and there's still Milner and Owen to think about who could, theoretically, play in these "wide areas" we're discussing.

I do see how pace can be useful, but I honestly don't think we're much slower than any of the "top teams" in this division.

We are. Midfield does not mean central does it?

An example:

How important is Ronaldo and how often does he skin people using his pace? How often is he used on the break. Giggs is still quicker than anything we have out wide. Is Milner likely to outsprint Nani? Ferguson has always done it, even going back to Danny Wallace. Kanchelskis, Giggs, Ronaldo are/were used so often to break. We used to do it under Robson. We can't at present. Can you imagine trying to break with Milner trundling up the wing?

Malouda? Robben and SWP. You think we have that in level of pace in midfield? Joe Cole is an awful lot faster than you give him credit for too.

Before that Ljungberg and Pires regularly raped Aaron Hughes and most other, far better fullbacks.

It's little surprise that the last 3 sides to win the title have utilised that ability to break so quickly out wide. It wasn't used infrequently either. Its that very option we are sadly lacking at present.

Of course there are other factors. Do they have that ability? Of course. Do we? Not bloody likely.

TheJanitor - Essien and Gilberto are rapid, Gerrard and Sissoko both quick enough for it to be a major part of their game. if Sissoko was slow he'd be awful as pretty much all he has going for him is physicality and Gerrard's surging runs are the major feature of his game.

i actually agree with what you're saying tho. Don't think pace over long distances in central midfield is THAT important, at least if you have the brains or skill to make up for lacking it. i think acceleration is a bit more important, Scholes is slow over the pitch, but very, very quick over 5 yards. Same with Gazza, fat tub of lard over 50 yards but lightning for the first few steps. and both have/had quick feet, can pull a trick or feint to buy space, as well as the audacity to create for others out of nothing. Not sure any of our central midfielders can do this, apart from Emre, but there's other doubts with him. Barton perhaps but i see him as more of a box-to-box, while Smith certainly isn't the answer. So there's still the outstanding question of creativity in our midfield.

I think we've more of an issue with pace in the wide areas, certainly in a 4-3-3. only Zoggy and Martins have any and neither are "naturals" there.

TheJanitor - Essien and Gilberto are rapid, Gerrard and Sissoko both quick enough for it to be a major part of their game. if Sissoko was slow he'd be awful as pretty much all he has going for him is physicality and Gerrard's surging runs are the major feature of his game.

i actually agree with what you're saying tho. Don't think pace over long distances in central midfield is THAT important, at least if you have the brains or skill to make up for lacking it. i think acceleration is a bit more important, Scholes is slow over the pitch, but very, very quick over 5 yards. Same with Gazza, fat tub of lard over 50 yards but lightning for the first few steps. and both have/had quick feet, can pull a trick or feint to buy space, as well as the audacity to create for others out of nothing. Not sure any of our central midfielders can do this, apart from Emre, but there's other doubts with him. Barton perhaps but i see him as more of a box-to-box, while Smith certainly isn't the answer. So there's still the outstanding question of creativity in our midfield.

I think we've more of an issue with pace in the wide areas, certainly in a 4-3-3. only Zoggy and Martins have any and neither are "naturals" there.

Some good points. Gerrard and Essien certainly piss over anything our midfield have to offer pace-wise. They use it to press and break from deep. Gazza was far from a fat tub of lard over 50. He was exceptional at breaking and surging onto (and with) the ball. Scholes does similar from deep but its not with the ball. It takes timing and pace to manage that. I have little problem with our central midfield though. Other than they are very similar. Owen Hargreaves is also very quick by the way.

Out wide we are lacking. Thats an area where we need that commodity, whether some of the time or all of the time.

Top teams don't go into a season without anyone who can break and stretch teams. Pennant is average but still has that thing we don't. On the other flank, Kewell can be very good but they have more drive from central midfield. Gerrard constantly does it in either position. We aint got those options.

Smith will do a lot better for us than Dire ever did. Smith has the right attitude, he's a team player, he's selflessly said that he'll play wherever the manager wants him to play even though he prefers playing up front. Unfortunately players of this ilk are usually underrated.

To say he's a "huff a puff worker who produces little" is total rubbish imo and I'm sure he'll prove this in the coming weeks and months. There's no doubt in my mind that Smith will very quickly become a key member of the team and a crowd favourite.

Smith will do a lot better for us than Dire ever did. Smith has the right attitude, he's a team player, he's selflessly said that he'll play wherever the manager wants him to play even though he prefers playing up front. Unfortunately players of this ilk are usually underrated.

To say he's a "huff a puff worker who produces little" is total rubbish imo and I'm sure he'll prove this in the coming weeks and months. There's no doubt in my mind that Smith will very quickly become a key member of the team and a crowd favourite.

"smith has the right attitude" "he's a team player" "selflessly". exactly, these are the attributes that everyone talks about with Smith as that is what he brings to the team, he doesn't have anything else in particular about him other than he is a solid player. so i think it is fair to say he's a worker bee rather than someone who can be the creative impetus of our side. again, a good player to have in the squad certainly and we can do with his particular strengths through the season, and i don't doubt that he'll contribute, but Smith's presence shouldn't preclude the purchase of a genuine playmaker to replace Dyer and Solano.

Some good points. Gerrard and Essien certainly piss over anything our midfield have to offer pace-wise. They use it to press and break from deep. Gazza was far from a fat tub of lard over 50. He was exceptional at breaking and surging onto (and with) the ball. Scholes does similar from deep but its not with the ball. It takes timing and pace to manage that. I have little problem with our central midfield though. Other than they are very similar. Owen Hargreaves is also very quick by the way.

Out wide we are lacking. Thats an area where we need that commodity, whether some of the time or all of the time.

Top teams don't go into a season without anyone who can break and stretch teams. Pennant is average but still has that thing we don't. On the other flank, Kewell can be very good but they have more drive from central midfield. Gerrard constantly does it in either position. We aint got those options.

I think you're confusing pace with the timing of runs from deep. Smith, Barton and Geremi are all capable of this. Perhaps Dire was the fastest sprinter at the club, this doesn't mean we have to sign Linford Christie or his current equivalent as replacement.

When he could be arsed Dire looked good because he'd pick the ball up deep and run straight at the opposition as opposed to our usual tactic of just punting the ball 50 yards up field hoping to win the second ball. With our current squad we've now got players comfortable on the ball so we should be able to play from back to front on the deck whilst still having the option of mixing it up because of Viduka's strength and touch with Martins or Owen running the channels.

Still got a f****** slow midfield. Top teams don't tend to.

We are. Midfield does not mean central does it?

An example:

How important is Ronaldo and how often does he skin people using his pace? How often is he used on the break. Giggs is still quicker than anything we have out wide. Is Milner likely to outsprint Nani? Ferguson has always done it, even going back to Danny Wallace. Kanchelskis, Giggs, Ronaldo are/were used so often to break. We used to do it under Robson. We can't at present. Can you imagine trying to break with Milner trundling up the wing?

Malouda? Robben and SWP. You think we have that in level of pace in midfield? Joe Cole is an awful lot faster than you give him credit for too.

Before that Ljungberg and Pires regularly raped Aaron Hughes and most other, far better fullbacks.

It's little surprise that the last 3 sides to win the title have utilised that ability to break so quickly out wide. It wasn't used infrequently either. Its that very option we are sadly lacking at present.

Of course there are other factors. Do they have that ability? Of course. Do we? Not bloody likely.

A whole post completely ignoring Martins and N'Zogbia, both of whom will be challenging for those "wide midfield/forward" positions you talk about and both as fast as any player you've mentioned there. Is Milner really as slow as you're making out? You seem to have a cracking vendetta against the lad from where I sit.

Martins is as fast as anything in the league and he's playing in this exact "counter-attacking" position you mention and N'Zogbia/Owen might well be playing on the other side, if not Milner.

Overall, those four players are as quick as most other players of that sort in the Premiership and we'd be right towards the top end of the queue there as well, perhaps not top of the queue, but not far off it. I must have been watching the likes of Emre and Smith in double-time or something, because both seem to have a bit of a turn of pace about them when required. If we're talking pure pace, that is. To me it seems like you're confusing "pace" with how quickly players play the game, I'd always assumed "pace" was merely how quick someone could run. You could have all the pace in the world but no passing ability/dribbling ability/end product and you'd be off fuck all use to anyone.

I had assumed the debate originated with how slow our midfield was, because of Dyer's exit, from a pace perspective. Apologies if I got it wrong.

How did you gather I was just talking central midfield from my post, by the way? There was shitloads in there on players who are strictly wide players.

Cant beilve people can compare dyer with smith? smith is slower yes but works much harder he WANTS ANY PLACE in the squad to be able to play football with newcastle. dyer is fast but thats it he lacks vision or purpose he has no end achievement he will be lucky to finish or to make the perfect pass.

tbh i wasnt happy with smith but im wrong he seems a really good signing and %100 better then dyer.

Cant beilve people can compare dyer with smith? smith is slower yes but works much harder he WANTS ANY PLACE in the squad to be able to play football with newcastle. dyer is fast but thats it he lacks vision or purpose he has no end achievement he will be lucky to finish or to make the perfect pass.

tbh i wasnt happy with smith but im wrong he seems a really good signing and %100 better then dyer.

Ive always wanted Dyer out in recent seasons, purely because of a combiation of his injury proneness, a lack of a natural position, and of course a petulant attitude that clearly spills onto the pitch at times. However, theres no doubting for me that Dyer is a considerably better footballer with far more talent on the ball than Smith. A lack of end product doesnt negate this - its frustrating, but having the ability to run with pace whilst still controlling the ball can make a big difference against plenty of teams that cant handle that ability, and end product, or lack of, doesnt show the value of such an attribute.

Of course, Smith has other valuable attributes that Dyer lacks, but ultimately a team full of good footballers will always finish higher in the table imo than a team full of hard working tough tacklers, and so if Smith is the direct replacement for Dyer, I think weve lost more than we've gained (although theres the issue of Dyer's injury record, but from a theoretical point of view, its a loss for me).

Is this the new thread that NE5 will take up residency in?

Admins - Perhaps we should mark it appropriately then.

To be fair he's right what he says.

Well maqybe he can finally explain - is Shepherd was such a good chairman - his reasoning for appointing both Souness and Roeder in succession? I asked him this before and he didn't answer that question because NE5 is a genius in hindsight. He gets everything right once it's turned out ok. Like this Dyer deal no doubt.

On the contrary, I get everything right, or most things, in foresight. I predicted the mess that Souness would leave us in. Both financial and from the playing aspect. I predicted that we would spend millions and not adequately replace Craig Bellamy. I said that Sam Allardyce is the manager we wanted 3 years ago. I predicted that Patrick Kluivert would be a huge flop. I predicted that Luque would be s****. I predicted that Shola Ameobi would never fill Alan Shearers boots and be even an adequate centre forward for Newcastle for as long as he has a hole in his arse. This is a small sample.

Unfortunately, as you continue to think that qualifying for europe more than every club in the country, bar 4, is such a massive and huge embarrassing failure, I really can't help you there. It has nothing to do with predicting either by the way.

I also can't help you if you STILL fail to comprehend that as he wasn;t the major shareholder and never was, Shepherd was not completely responsible for appointing Souness. I take it you were happy enough to go to 2 Wembley Finals, and qualify for the Champions League, finish in the top 5 for 3 consecutive seasons for the first time in 50 years, and buy top international footballers though ?

Nor can I help you if you STILL fail to comprehend that in the real world, everyone makes mistakes. Even the great Steve Gibson for instance, and the Liverpool directors who rather stupidly appointed a double act of Houillier and Evans. Now who on earth appoints managers with little or no experience eh  mackems.gif

I don't blame you for avoiding the question as to what was Shepherd's reasoning for appointing Souness because when you look at it, it was a decision so monumentally stupid only a complete retard could have come up with it. Poaching a manager who had carefully steered his team towards relegation isn't just a one- off mistake as you keep trying to imply it's a sign of total incompetence. If anyone was in any doubt, then to follow it up with giving the job to Roeder should have rubber-stamped this analysis.

I don't blame you at all for ignoring the entire point of that entire post. In fact, I expected it.

• 7 months later...
Guest LucaAltieri

Dyer was due back from his broken leg. Now he has shin splints. Won't be back this season.

Glad he's not our problem any more.