José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

One of the NE journalists on twitter said Jose isn't on big wages like Barton, Smith etc.

Hopefully that's true and the contract we offer puts him on a par with them.

One of the NE journalists on twitter said Jose isn't on big wages like Barton, Smith etc.

When a swap deal with McManus at Celtic was proposed in 2009 (yes, really!), the suggestion was that Jose turned it down because it would have meant a 50% drop in wages. Celtic's wage ceiling in recent years has been widely acknowledged as being 20k a week.

Ergo, Jose isn't on more than 40k a week.

When a swap deal with McManus at Celtic was proposed in 2009 (yes, really!), the suggestion was that Jose turned it down because it would have meant a 50% drop in wages. Celtic's wage ceiling in recent years has been widely acknowledged as being 20k a week.

Poor lad. Give him more money.

Although Enrique's absolutely mint (and still my favourite player), at times it feels pointless as we're still putting in some shocking performances (Stoke, Bolton etc.) and are nearly in a relegation scrap. His quality is wasted if the rest of our team plays like that. Wisely spending his transfer fee would stop us getting into those situations, even if it leaves us with a slightly worse LB.

Then again, selling quality like Enrique and Carroll makes us worse and hence we get these shocking performances. I guess it all comes down to your view on how replaceable players are and how much faith you have that we'll spend money well.

Poor lad. Give him more money.

My post was in response to someone who insisted he would be on 70k a week a la Barton.

Not likely, first of all, Enrique signed the same year as Barton, which puts both under the same "salary regime"= hurling money out the window. Second, Enrique was very sought after when we bought him. The newspapers were stunned that he actually signed for us, because  other successful clubs were after him. That leads me to conclude that he signed because we offered him more money than any other clubs involved.

But I don't think the main obstacle for Enrique. He wants the club to match his ambitions.

Really? Which newspapers? I dont remember that at all.

Who? Jose will be on £45k at the very least.

I love random speculation on wages. I reckon £60k!

But it's not random speculation. Quite well known he is on £40k+ wages.

Last time heard, he was on £80!That greedy bastard!

But it's not random speculation. Quite well known he is on £40k+ wages.

Hmm, I doubt any journalist has seen his pay slip or his contract.

Anyway, it's just a pet hate of mine. As if it even matters whether it's 30, 40 or 60. They're all mental.

Not likely, first of all, Enrique signed the same year as Barton, which puts both under the same "salary regime"= hurling money out the window. Second, Enrique was very sought after when we bought him. The newspapers were stunned that he actually signed for us, because  other successful clubs were after him. That leads me to conclude that he signed because we offered him more money than any other clubs involved.

But I don't think the main obstacle for Enrique. He wants the club to match his ambitions.

So you'd rather we hadn't signed him in the first place then?

Of course not, stupid :) I just used previous salary policy as an argument for why it's likely that Enrique is paid around 50-60 a week.

When you consider the reported wages of the players that were signed at the same time as he was ...

Of course not, stupid :) I just used previous salary policy as an argument for why it's likely that Enrique is paid around 50-60 a week.

You said he only he signed because we offered him more money than any other clubs involved.

You said that kind of salary regime = hurling money out the window.

You have repeatedly said how great the new wage structure is.

The new wage structure would almost certainly not allocate the £50-60k a week you claim he is on to a young foreign fullback unproven in the PL.

I can only conclude therefore you'd rather we hadn't signed him in the first place. :)