José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Pretty much JH.

The FCB plan isn't that bad, when you look at the overall pros and cons, it's just that he'll be forever tainted as the man who tried "to shoot Bambi" (and was exposed as a liar by the tribunal) so it'd take something completely unimaginable for the supporters to ever trust his judgement again.

This leads to the inevitable second guessing of every decisions, announcement or rumour in the press about what he's doing and why he's doing it.

:sadnod:

If he appointed a chairman who actually knew about football and how to run a football club, and met the fans halfway in terms of spending a bit more money on the team, things wouldn't be as bad as claimed.

What he's doing is not actually the wrong way to run a football club, the way he's going about it (lies, lack of communication and trust, unwillingness to loosen the purse strings just a tad) is the major problem.

is anyone arguing with this point of view on things lads?  all seems pretty obvious to me

Pretty much JH.

The FCB plan isn't that bad, when you look at the overall pros and cons, it's just that he'll be forever tainted as the man who tried "to shoot Bambi" (and was exposed as a liar by the tribunal) so it'd take something completely unimaginable for the supporters to ever trust his judgement again.

This leads to the inevitable second guessing of every decisions, announcement or rumour in the press about what he's doing and why he's doing it.

If he appointed a chairman who actually knew about football and how to run a football club, and met the fans halfway in terms of spending a bit more money on the team, things wouldn't be as bad as claimed.

What he's doing is not actually the wrong way to run a football club, the way he's going about it (lies, lack of communication and trust, unwillingness to loosen the purse strings just a tad) is the major problem.

is anyone arguing with this point of view on things lads?  all seems pretty obvious to me

Me too. It's also obvious(and has been for a long time now) that he isn't going to appoint a proper chairman, start communicating with the fans or meet us half way so what's the point in dreaming about it?

Me too. It's also obvious(and has been for a long time now) that he isn't going to appoint a proper chairman, start communicating with the fans or meet us half way so what's the point in dreaming about it?

It's not all bad though, at least we now know what the situation is. I honestly wouldn't want Ashley to sell up to a random new owner at the moment... I'd rather he stuck to the current plan for a few years and see how far it can take us.

If he could avoid any more catastrophic mistakes, hold onto our better players and invest some of the Carroll money it would be good too.

It's not all bad though, at least we now know what the situation is. I honestly wouldn't want Ashley to sell up to a random new owner at the moment... I'd rather he stuck to the current plan for a few years and see how far it can take us.

If he could avoid any more catastrophic mistakes, hold onto our better players and invest some of the Carroll money it would be good too.

well, this is the real issue that Stu raises isn't it, what the fuck is the real plan?

we can assume it's a version of the arsenal/spurs models and if the intention of that model is to progress the club on the field then i'm sure everyone would get on board, i would

the issue is whether ashley is remotely interested in progress on the pitch or just on the financial side of things - personally i've seen no evidence that he wouldn't be less than happy if we just stagnate for 5 years scraping past relegation until he's ready to go

signs point towards this tbh

Fair point, I probably agree that Ashley would be happy to see us around our current position for the duration of his ownership.

I just hope that the transfer policy (our signings have been generally good) will continue to deliver players that are hungry to play for the club and have some quality, and that Pardew can bond them together into a team that will progress up the league.

Who knows, if Ashley starts to see that happening he might remember why he bought NUFC in the first place, because he thought it would be fun.

I don't think Ashley has a plan.

He can't find the balance between business and football club, and until he does, there will be no real plan and we won't make any real progress.

Which is a shame, because between promotion and Hughton's sacking, he was finally starting to turn a few opinions his way with the way things were being run.

He can't find the balance between business and football club, and until he does, there will be no real plan and we won't make any real progress.

Which is a shame, because between promotion and Hughton's sacking, he was finally starting to turn a few opinions his way with the way things were being run.

TBF almost nobody gets that balance right. Only the clubs who don't have to worry about finances have a clear position on that.

I don't know if Ashley has a plan either, but he does seem to have certain standards of wages and contracts that are emerging. That will dictate how we do on the pitch. If we can come up with some more good value signings we might progress, if not we won't.

TBF almost nobody gets that balance right. Only the clubs who don't have to worry about finances have a clear position on that.

I don't know if Ashley has a plan either, but he does seem to have certain standards of wages and contracts that are emerging. That will dictate how we do on the pitch. If we can come up with some more good value signings we might progress, if not we won't.

In theory that sounds great. I'm sure everybody is sick of squadering pots of money on players who aren't even close to being worth it. It's a very fine line though

I'm pretty sure Ashley released a statement saying that buying young promising players developing them and selling them on was his plan. ???

IF that was his plan, he would have been sure to have someone lined up before selling Carroll - the likes of Goodwillie or Van Wolfswinkel come to mind ; if there is nobody with enough potential to replace Carroll(or anyone else)the player shouldn't be sold.

If the club goes for Rip Van Winklestein to replace Carroll(as an example), the player's club now know NUFC have megabucks from the Carroll sale and the price goes up by millions....is this sound business, esp when you are forced into recruiting a past-it 34r yr old who was never great in his prime ?

No, it looks as if Ashley is just asset-stripping, pure and simple - the proof will be the departure of Enrique and Tiote without adequate 'prospects' being signed to replace them.

In theory that sounds great. I'm sure everybody is sick of squadering pots of money on players who aren't even close to being worth it. It's a very fine line though

Aye I'm not saying it's easy, and the line that is drawn will always be subject to debate. And fans will no doubt continue to say they would make an exception here and there to keep or sign this player or that player.

We seem to be committed to this mindset that bigger spending is always better, and that not making a big net loss from a transfer window is some sort of crime. It's a difficult attitude to change (and TBF it has some merit).

the proof will be the departure of Enrique and Tiote without adequate 'prospects' being signed to replace them.

this, and how much of the Carroll money is spent, will indeed provide the key to our future

i've said it elsewhere but it's pretty frustrating that we seem to enter every fucking window under ashley in a make or break situation

the proof will be the departure of Enrique and Tiote without adequate 'prospects' being signed to replace them.

this, and how much of the Carroll money is spent, will indeed provide the key to our future

i've said it elsewhere but it's pretty frustrating that we seem to enter every fucking window under ashley in a make or break situation

I'm happy to rethink my position if we do end up selling Tiote and Enrique, letting both of those go would be horrible.

We seem to be committed to this mindset that bigger spending is always better, and that not making a big net loss from a transfer window is some sort of crime. It's a difficult attitude to change (and TBF it has some merit).

financially a net profit should not be seen as a crime, personnel-wise a net loss in terms of players and/or talent is absolutely unforgiveable especially when we came back up from the championship with a bit of a deficit to start with

the summer window was decent, they threw all they away with the january one for me

financially a net profit should not be seen as a crime, personnel-wise a net loss in terms of players and/or talent is absolutely unforgiveable especially when we came back up from the championship with a bit of a deficit to start with

the summer window was decent, they threw all they away with the january one for me

I agree with that, the squad is definitely too weak at the moment and we should be looking to strengthen quite a bit.

All I would say about january is that it's a very difficult market to operate in, and the Carroll sale was a bit of a freak situation. I don't think it should be taken too much to heart unless it's followed up by another couple of similar ones.

i've said it elsewhere but it's pretty frustrating that we seem to enter every f***ing window under ashley in a make or break situation

I'm happy to rethink my position if we do end up selling Tiote and Enrique, letting both of those go would be horrible.

I think the Summer is absolutely key. It's imperative that we improve the squad and hold onto our better players.

I think the Summer is absolutely key. It's imperative that we improve the squad and hold onto our better players.

if, IF he wants us to progress - if he's happy to rake in the money from our two best players and try to limp through another season then we all know what'll happen

back to square one, what does the fat cunt want? :lol:

i've said it elsewhere but it's pretty frustrating that we seem to enter every f***ing window under ashley in a make or break situation

Assume those better players include Enrique and Tiote?

Assume those better players include Enrique and Tiote?

You assume correctly.

How do Spurs do it btw? Does anyone know?

I thought they had a wage cap/budget, or did they scap it?

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/2972983/Jew-gold.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=Philosoraptor

tbf Stu has it spot on.

Given my very public opinion of Keegan, people might think this is a comment that is deliberately looking for a bite. But approaching and hiring Kevin Keegan was the biggest mistake that Ashley made and it's been all downhill from there.

I bet the same thing happens with Dalglish at Liverpool. You just don't mess with club legends, because you will never come away from the situation as the favourable party.

Agreed, though Ashley did listen to the fans over the Keegan appointment.  He topped many polls as who the fans wanted.  Should remember this was the 1st mangerial appointment most fans agreed with as well since Sir Bob's appointment.

Is that right? I remember it being a massive (pleasant) surprise to many after the event, but I genuinely can't remember any clamour for Keegan to return.

Guest neesy111

tbf Stu has it spot on.

Given my very public opinion of Keegan, people might think this is a comment that is deliberately looking for a bite. But approaching and hiring Kevin Keegan was the biggest mistake that Ashley made and it's been all downhill from there.

I bet the same thing happens with Dalglish at Liverpool. You just don't mess with club legends, because you will never come away from the situation as the favourable party.

Agreed, though Ashley did listen to the fans over the Keegan appointment.  He topped many polls as who the fans wanted.  Should remember this was the 1st mangerial appointment most fans agreed with as well since Sir Bob's appointment.

Is that right? I remember it being a massive (pleasant) surprise to many after the event, but I genuinely can't remember any clamour for Keegan to return.

He polled highest in SSN poll for who should be next manager IIRC and quite highly under a chronicle poll as well.  It was a surprise, as many people said they would love for him to comeback, but thought he would not return to the game.

tbf Stu has it spot on.

He polled highest in SSN poll for who should be next manager IIRC and quite highly under a chronicle poll as well.  It was a surprise, as many people said they would love for him to comeback, but thought he would not return to the game.

Spot on again Neesy (you're on fire this week):

Keegan had featured prominently in the betting and came top of a poll in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle, with 42 per cent. Yet because of the hush that had descended on St James', because of the Harry Redknapp dalliance and the noise that was emanating from Blackburn about Mark Hughes, and from France about Didier Deschamps and Gérard Houllier, there was little sense of momentum about Keegan.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tyneside-celebrates-as-keegan-leaves-his-circus-for-newcastle-770701.html

tbf Stu has it spot on.

is correct. there was no real clamour for keegan, and it was a huge surprise when he was appointed. i don't think any fan was even thinking of keegan until a Sky camera got him on tv. getting less than half the votes in a single poll with limited voting options hardly represents clamour.

i think if you remember on this forum there was next to no talk about him until he was on SSN, and even then the general attitude was split between those completely against it, and those who would rather look elsewhere, but certainly wouldn't be averse to it, and would consider him better than the likes of mark hughes etc.