José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Whilst I do believe he wants to leave, I don't think we're a million miles away from being in a position to convince him to stay.

Don't know if we will though.

He's on what £40k a week, and our wage cap is £50k?

Neither of those figures are public knowledge, merely speculation. Whats your point?

Do you think we're going to be able to persuade him to forget European football, playing for a more ambitious club and a nice signing on fee (when he signs for said club) for a £10k a week pay rise?

Colocho, can I ask, how do you know what our wage cap is?

A well known national journalist has informed me that our wage cap is £50k a week.

I doubt the salary will be the deciding factor either way.

If we strengthen a bit and he decides he can get into the Spain team playing for us, we've got a chance of keeping him. Otherwise it's hasta la vista.

And the potential to earn £70k a week at a club like Liverpool or Bayern Munich wouldn't be an issue?

A well known national journalist has informed me that our wage cap is £50k a week.

And how did he know?  he he llambias?

I'd say that is fair enough with the squad of players we have right now really. If players become available who are top class then we should break it but looking at our squad right now none of them should be getting paid over that. Jose, Colo, Barton, Ben Arfa and Tiote should be in that top bracket. Theres a case for Ben Arfa being worth more than that when fully fit.

Guest Roger Kint

Did he also tell you Jose's real wage? Incidentally if this journo knows this and 'the club' told him then are we to assume you beleive what Ashley and Llambias say now? Or do their lies only apply when suitable?

If we strengthen a bit and he decides he can get into the Spain team playing for us, we've got a chance of keeping him. Otherwise it's hasta la vista.

And the potential to earn £70k a week at a club like Liverpool or Bayern Munich wouldn't be an issue?

And Enriques wage?

In reality if we keep letting players go then we will never build a good enough team spirit or get the momentum we need to keep them and it will be a constant revolving door.

Where are these players we keep letting go?

This thread has been talking hypothetically about Enrique leaving for quite a while now, I'm surprised you haven't noticed?

Did he also tell you Jose's real wage? Incidentally if this journo knows this and 'the club' told him then are we to assume you beleive what Ashley and Llambias say now? Or do their lies only apply when suitable?

And Enriques wage?

I'm not sure. Haven't asked anyone. I'd guess £35-45k.

Maybe, but the Liverpool and Bayern Munich bit is more important than the £70k bit IMO. We could match their wage offers and he would still probably leave.

Guest Roger Kint

In reality if we keep letting players go then we will never build a good enough team spirit or get the momentum we need to keep them and it will be a constant revolving door.

This thread has been talking hypothetically about Enrique leaving for quite a while now, I'm surprised you haven't noticed?

So you dont understand the difference between Enrique leaving for his own reasons and your post saying 'keep letting players go' and 'constant revolving door'? I am surprised you didnt notice that if he doesnt want to sign a new deal we cant make him stay but never mind lets just make up things to suit...

Of course it's a revolving door man, in January we let Carroll, Routledge, Tavernier, Edmundsson, Grieve, Kadar, Donaldson AND Xisco go. Ridiculous. Not to mention letting Ireland go last month.

Guest Roger Kint

Of course it's a revolving door man, in January we let Carroll, Routledge, Tavernier, Edmundsson, Grieve, Kadar, Donaldson AND Xisco go. Ridiculous. Not to mention letting Ireland go last month.

;D

Maybe, but the Liverpool and Bayern Munich bit is more important than the £70k bit IMO. We could match their wage offers and he would still probably leave.

You are kind of defeating your own argument here ...

unlikely the wage cap is like that, say for example there are two players of equal quality , player a is on a bosman and wants 60K, player b wants 50k but will cost a fee of 5million, the club is finacially better off with the higher salary. i'd guess clubs now don't work in fees and wages but in the total cost of the deal per annum.

Maybe I phrased it wrong, what I meant was that the lure of a better club might be enough to tempt him away, salary won't be the issue.

But it would be a bonus of moving to a 'better' club, right?

Hate to sound really defeatist, but I think we should just move on. I'm resigned to him going - and admire that you aren't. There are plenty of good, hungry left-backs who can come in and replace him, they may not be as good as him yet, but who's saying they won't become better?

Maybe I phrased it wrong, what I meant was that the lure of a better club might be enough to tempt him away, salary won't be the issue.

But it would be a bonus of moving to a 'better' club, right?

Hate to sound really defeatist, but I think we should just move on. I'm resigned to him going - and admire that you aren't. There are plenty of good, hungry left-backs who can come in and replace him, they may not be as good as him yet, but who's saying they won't become better?

Don't get me wrong, I think he's likely to leave, I just don't think it's anything to criticise the club for because he's got to the point where he might want to move his career on.

So you dont understand the difference between Enrique leaving for his own reasons and your post saying 'keep letting players go' and 'constant revolving door'? I am surprised you didnt notice that if he doesnt want to sign a new deal we cant make him stay but never mind lets just make up things to suit...

I don't really understand what you have said there but I am of the opinion that the club can try and convince players to stay. Also Enrique has not said he will not sign a new contract.

This season he has acquired a bit of "Titus-itus" - extremely strong, brilliant in patches but an error always waiting to happen.

His positioning for the goal we conceded at Blackpool and his suicidal square passes just the latest blunders which blemish some otherwise outstanding performances.

For this reason I don't see him making the starting line up of a truly top side, we're probably about the right level for him right now.

I'm sure he's leaving and it's understandable - he's a young professional and he fancies trying something new.

Good luck to him but he's by no means irreplacable.