José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Let's see what really happens when the big fish start seriously sniffing around Modric, Jagielka, Baines, Young, Downing, etc. this summer.

Ok, let's judge them on what might happen.  :lol:

Those players are in the same boat as Enrique & Barton I'd say.

Guest hoopet

Eh? :lol:

All clubs sell players so all clubs have the same ambition, isn't that the point you were making?

No the exact opposite. We are nowhere near having the same ambitions as Man Utd & Liverpool at the moment, which is why when a bigger club comes in a) the player's head will be turned and b) if mental money is offered the club will always consider it.

And the same applies to Villa, Everton, Spurs, etc.

Why aren't we near having the same ambitions as Liverpool?

Aren't they in masses of *gasp* DEBT? They should sell their good players, or at least make them take hefty pay cuts. Get relegated too if possible. Ambition. :thup:

Liverpool have been in or around the top 4 and the Champions League places since 1996 bar the odd blip, not to mention the 20 odd years before that, as well as winning cups.

We've finished there about 6 years out of 20 and had the occasional Final or Semi Final.

Spot the difference.

What the f***'s that got to do with anything? :lol: Football isn't played in the past. Liverpool aren't going to be buying players by showing the other club some 80s Cup Final DVDs.

We can afford to punch our weight with Liverpool, like we have before.

Of course we can  :idiot2:

All clubs sell players so all clubs have the same ambition, isn't that the point you were making?

No the exact opposite. We are nowhere near having the same ambitions as Man Utd & Liverpool at the moment, which is why when a bigger club comes in a) the player's head will be turned and b) if mental money is offered the club will always consider it.

Aren't they in masses of *gasp* DEBT? They should sell their good players, or at least make them take hefty pay cuts. Get relegated too if possible. Ambition. :thup:

Liverpool have been in or around the top 4 and the Champions League places since 1996 bar the odd blip, not to mention the 20 odd years before that, as well as winning cups.

We've finished there about 6 years out of 20 and had the occasional Final or Semi Final.

Spot the difference.

What the f***'s that got to do with anything? :lol: Football isn't played in the past. Liverpool aren't going to be buying players by showing the other club some 80s Cup Final DVDs.

Of course we can  :idiot2:

Why can't we?

Spot the difference.

Because like it or not, players still see that history and want to go there for whatever reason, and Liverpool are worth a lot more than us, with a far greater income, than what we have.

Those players are in the same boat as Enrique & Barton I'd say.

The difference is that even if the players are sold I'd expect the money brought in would be more likely to be invested back into the first team than when we sell players.

I know it's negative and cynical but I think the club will offer him a fabulous contract...... safe in the knowledge he's got no intention of signing it regardless. I think he wants to be away and playing in European competitions and for Spain are worth more than staying here and picking up about £10k a week more than he is now.

If he doesn't want to be here then the club has to make moves to convince him to stay or get as much as they can for him. Can't see it being the former unfortunately but obviously I hope I'm wrong. I'd like him to stay as he's a fantastic LB.

I know it's negative and cynical but I think the club will offer him a fabulous contract...... safe in the knowledge he's got no intention of signing it regardless. I think he wants to be away and playing in European competitions and for Spain are worth more than staying here and picking up about £10k a week more than he is now.

If he doesn't want to be here then the club has to make moves to convince him to stay or get as much as they can for him. Can't see it being the former unfortunately but obviously I hope I'm wrong. I'd like him to stay as he's a fantastic LB.

I think they'll offer him a decent contract and it will not be enough because I don't think money is a driving force for him.  He's earning more than enough and he has ambition and we have nothing to offer on that front.

I think they'll offer him a decent contract and it will not be enough because I don't think money is a driving force for him.  He's earning more than enough and he has ambition and we have nothing to offer on that front.

He wants to play CL and for his country and probably realises that if he signs on again for 4 or 5 more years he'll be about 28 or 29 before his next contract rolls around. It's now or never for him to go as he probably feels he's not going to achieve his ambitions with us if he signs on.

I respect his decision but hope he does things the right way and is honest about why he's going. 

He wants to play CL and for his country and probably realises that if he signs on again for 4 or 5 more years he'll be about 28 or 29 before his next contract rolls around. It's now or never for him to go as he probably feels he's not going to achieve his ambitions with us if he signs on.

I respect his decision but hope he does things the right way and is honest about why he's going. 

If CL football is a must then he should stay well away from Liverpool as they've little chance of finishing top 4 in the near future.

If CL football is a must then he should stay well away from Liverpool as they've little chance of finishing top 4 in the near future.

I agree on that like.

If CL is his ultimate aim then what can we do? Realistically?

I know Ashley is living on another planet with his ideas of how to run a football club but even if he wasn't it's VERY unlikely we would trouble the top 4 any time in the near future. Ok Spurs came close-ish this season but competition is getting stronger and stronger (especially as it looks like Wenger is finally going to start making some significant signings).

If CL is his target then there isn't anything we can realistically do to persuade him to stay.

I know Ashley is living on another planet with his ideas of how to run a football club but even if he wasn't it's VERY unlikely we would trouble the top 4 any time in the near future. Ok Spurs came close-ish this season but competition is getting stronger and stronger (especially as it looks like Wenger is finally going to start making some significant signings).

If CL is his target then there isn't anything we can realistically do to persuade him to stay.

Agree 100%. I think his mind's made up and he's off.

I also think that us challenging for CL is a good few years off yet but he hasn't got the time to spare in his career. He wants it NOW and we can't provide what he wants and that's not the club's fault at all. All we can do is throw more cash at him. It's just unfortunate but that's the way it goes.

Actions speak louder than words and the actions of our club doesn't point to us doing anything soon.  Even without selling Carroll we had a poor transfer window in January and did nothing to keep hold of our better players.  Getting rid of Routledge was moronic, even if he was only kept as back up, he was worth keeping.  We went into that window probably needing another forward, we came out with one less.

Edit

We've also sacked a popular manager and brought in a manager who shouldn't have even been considered for the job, he wasn't an appointment which will have made the players sit up and think we were about to take off as a club.

Actions speak louder than words and the actions of our club doesn't point to us doing anything soon.  Even without selling Carroll we had a poor transfer window in January and did nothing to keep hold of our better players.  Getting rid of Routledge was moronic, even if he was only kept as back up, he was worth keeping.  We went into that window probably needing another forward, we came out with one less.

Even if we went and spent £100m in the summer we would struggle to challenge the champions league lot (partially because 2 of them will have spent 5x that already).

Jose was never re-signing once AC went the club gained a lot of dosh that day but it looked like it lost a lot ambition as far as some players & fans were concerned imo.

He better not go to Liverpool or Manchester United then.

Why's that?

Because they sell their star players if a bid to good to turn down comes in?

Dear me Jon.

My thoughts as well. I was sort of looking at from Newcastle point of view only: Jose, Colo, Tiote, Barton, & AC a really good core to build around & crack on with but looks like none of Jose, AC & Barton will be at SJP next season.

Even if we went and spent £100m in the summer we would struggle to challenge the champions league lot (partially because 2 of them will have spent 5x that already).

We didn't have to spend the money you mention.  The club had just been promoted and the fans and players felt good about that.  We'd had some brilliant results both home and away and the club was on a high until the pricks who run the club decided that they weren't going to give the manager a new contract.  The club was starting to benefit from the stability that was developing until that was all brought to an abrupt end.  Is it a coincidence that things are looking to fall apart?  I doubt it.

So we are the only club that sells their best players when a huge offer comes in?

Selling Carroll is only one of the problems, one of many.

Even such fans of the current board as Keegan and Barton have admitted that they'd have taken the money.

I mean, £35 million. The 7th largest transfer fee of all time. For Andy Carroll ffs.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't buy into this falling apart thing.

Carroll was sold because the offer was massive (and the majority outside of Newcastle fans think it was way OTT).

Nolan not getting a new contract seems to be a twitter fantasy become fact.

Barton thing seems to be brinkmanship to me, similar to Steven Taylor going on the transfer list. If he wants a 4 year contract and we don't want to give him it I can see the clubs point and again don't see this as falling apart.

If Jose wants to be at a CL football club then he will need to look elsewhere, we haven't been one for a long time now and this didn't start under the current board.

Have we shown the ambition a club our size should so far? No, not at all. Are we falling apart? Hyperbole imo.

Even such fans of the current board as Keegan and Barton have admitted that they'd have taken the money.

I mean, £35 million. The 7th largest transfer fee of all time. For Andy Carroll ffs.

Like I said, that was only one of the problems.

Like I said, that was only one of the problems.

Why define it as a problem at all? It seems to me the right decision.

Maybe I'm naive but I don't buy into this falling apart thing.

Carroll was sold because the offer was massive (and the majority outside of Newcastle fans this was way OTT).

Nolan not getting a new contract seems to be a twitter fantasy become fact.

Barton thing seems to be brinkmanship to me, similar to Steven Taylor going on the transfer list. If he wants a 4 year contract and we don't want to give him it I can see the clubs point and again don't see this as falling apart.

If Jose wants CL football then he will need to look elsewhere, we haven't been one for a long time now and this didn't start under the current board.

Have we shown the ambition a club our size should so far? No, not at all. Are we falling apart? Hyperbole imo.

Hughton was sacked.

Carroll has gone.

Nolan hasn't signed a new contract.

Barton hasn't signed a new contract.

Enrique hasn't signed a new contract.

Whether any of the possible reasons you mention are true or not makes no difference, they and are a sign that things are falling apart.  Of course everything could turn out to be for the best, I doubt it.