José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

We do/did pay a lot in wages though tbf. The likes of Colo, Barton, Jose and even xisco, smith will be at the top end if not earning more than their counterparts at the clubs around us.

Isn't Colo on close to £90k a week? That sort of wage most clubs would struggle to pay without cl football, isn't that the reason spurs have to sell to buy this summer?

Ashley signed off on all of the contracts you mention. It's not an excuse. Like buying us, the contracts are a mistake he should live with and make the best of.

He can't expect them to take f***ing wage cuts when wages in the game are still rising everywhere else. It's not like Colo, Jose, Nolan or Barton got any worse since we first signed them, if anything they are/were at their most valuable at the end of this season.

You should evaluate what they accomplished throughout the whole of the contract. Some players just have single good seasons while others tend to perform best in "contract years". Nolan and Colo may have earned with 2 good years of service, but I certainly would not extend the same courtesy to Barton.

We do/did pay a lot in wages though tbf. The likes of Colo, Barton, Jose and even xisco, smith will be at the top end if not earning more than their counterparts at the clubs around us.

Isn't Colo on close to £90k a week? That sort of wage most clubs would struggle to pay without cl football, isn't that the reason spurs have to sell to buy this summer?

Ashley signed off on all of the contracts you mention. It's not an excuse. Like buying us, the contracts are a mistake he should live with and make the best of.

He can't expect them to take f***ing wage cuts when wages in the game are still rising everywhere else. It's not like Colo, Jose, Nolan or Barton got any worse since we first signed them, if anything they are/were at their most valuable at the end of this season.

You should evaluate what they accomplished throughout the whole of the contract. Some players just have single good seasons while others tend to perform best in "contract years". Nolan and Colo may have earned with 2 good years of service, but I certainly would not extend the same courtesy to Barton.

I think you evaluate how valuable they are to you at that point in time, project how valuable they will be to you in the future and offer them what they're worth, so I suppose we just disagree about that. I'm sure "rewarding" players for good service does come into it though, or it should at least. It seems the board did it this way with Nolan as well, to be totally fair to them. It was extremely difficult to justify a 5 year deal for him, I'll admit.

I don't disagree that wages should be scaled down as players get older/near retirement and they become less able on the pitch, but I'm not entirely sure that happens yet.

If it's used as an excuse with Coloccini then it's an absolute joke. I'm fairly sure both John Terry and Rio Ferdinand signed new contracts with their respective clubs at around the same age as Colo hopefully will in the near future, and I'm fairly sure both of their contracts saw bumper wage rises. I appreciate that it's Chelsea and Manchester United I'm talking about here, but surely Colo is as important to us these days as those players were to those two at the time?

With all the extra wages released next summer due to certain wasteful contracts expiring, it will be an absolute disgrace if Colo doesn't get a good offer.

He can't expect them to take fucking wage cuts when wages in the game are still rising everywhere else. It's not like Colo, Jose, Nolan or Barton got any worse since we first signed them, if anything they are/were at their most valuable at the end of this season.

Yes, live with until the end of the contract, which he is doing, then either party can choose to strike a new deal, or walk away. Situations change, and apparently in terms of the wages we feel we can offer, they have for us.

It's hardly unusual or underhand, a number of contract jobs I've taken on recently have been for a lot less than I could have got away with in the past, so I don't see why footballers should be a particularly special case in that regard.

He can't expect them to take fucking wage cuts when wages in the game are still rising everywhere else. It's not like Colo, Jose, Nolan or Barton got any worse since we first signed them, if anything they are/were at their most valuable at the end of this season.

Yes, live with until the end of the contract, which he is doing, then either party can choose to strike a new deal, or walk away. Situations change, and apparently in terms of the wages we feel we can offer, they have for us.

It's hardly unusual or underhand, a number of contract jobs I've taken on recently have been for a lot less than I could have got away with in the past, so I don't see why footballers should be a particularly special case in that regard.

I'm fairly certain not everyone else is paying less, though, and if anything our revenues have increased in the past season and will again this season. If you want to grow and move up the table, you'll generally need to pay more wages year on year to achieve that and keep the players you already have, etc.

How can people not see this? We got relegated and trimmed the wage bill hugely. At a pure guess it seems to me like we appear to be at least breaking even so far this summer in wage terms, without even taking Barton and Enrique's potential departures into account - and any others that may now come in/go out. Revenue will have increased massively with the return to the Premiership and will again this season thanks to even better TV money and probable higher season ticket sales/general attendances, etc. I can't ignore the huge figures from player sales, either.

I'm not one for being overly negative/reactionary (I don't think), but this baffles me.

You keep your best players if you want to get better, even if you have to pay them very well to do so.

Colo is club captain and if he has another quality season this year it should be an absolute no brainer to give him a contract extension without expecting him to take a wage cut.

By all means have a wage cap in place for new signings and unproven players, but a player like Colo (or Enrique for that matter) is vastly more valuable than the majority of the others in the squad, and we should be willing to pay them as such.

We won' though, obviously, because we're a shambles.

The wage cap is killing us.. either up it or get rid of it.

You're crazy, it's the other way around..The wages are killing us..When the club already is  using 80-90 % of its turnover on wages, it's lunacy to remove the wage cap.

And Shak: Enrique is not worth more than he's paid now.He's on £50 000 a week. But he still got much to learn. He's fantastic man on man, but his positioning needs improvement along with his offensive play. Enrique has now played four seasons in England, and it's only now that we're getting value for money. In fact, he was not consistent last season either. Enrique is not Baines, Evra or Cole (the latter two have played on the upper level for many seasons) but in Liverpool he'll probably get the same wages as them, which I think is wrong. Had Enrique been rock solid the majority of the time he's been with us, the case would of course have been quite different.

Because if he's paid 80 000 a week, I expect him to deliver day in and day out, like those three players I mentioned.. And I'm not sure he's capable of that. And lord knows what will happen when Jonas is not there to help him with his defensive duties. Besides, you cannot drag CCC into the equation, Routledge ruled that league ffs.

If he does go he'll be lynched if he attempts some of the suicidal backpasses he tried last season like at Blackpool. Definitely has the ability for them but needs to cut that bit out of his game.

And twice against Bham..We forgive his mistakes, but that will not be the case with Liverpool..They have invested so much money in the team now that they need imminent results and cannot wait for players to develop. That's why I cannot understand why Henderson signed for them. Will be exiting to see how Enrique handles that pressure..

He may be as important to us as Ferdinand and Terry but we aren't anywhere near them. I don't think you can compare really and Colo probably earns close to some of the best defenders in the league. Certainly more than any defenders around us or even Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs.

Ok ashley may have agreed to these large contracts in the first place but are we really saying fuck it, you made the mistakes so you have to continue doing it. ?

I'm fairly certain not everyone else is paying less, though, and if anything our revenues have increased in the past season and will again this season. If you want to grow and move up the table, you'll generally need to pay more wages year on year to achieve that and keep the players you already have, etc.

How can people not see this? We got relegated and trimmed the wage bill hugely. At a pure guess it seems to me like we appear to be at least breaking even so far this summer in wage terms, without even taking Barton and Enrique's potential departures into account - and any others that may now come in/go out. Revenue will have increased massively with the return to the Premiership and will again this season thanks to even better TV money and probable higher season ticket sales/general attendances, etc. I can't ignore the huge figures from player sales, either.

I'm not one for being overly negative/reactionary (I don't think), but this baffles me.

You keep your best players if you want to get better, even if you have to pay them very well to do so.

I think there's some players who are perhaps considered among the elite in their position and you have to stretch your wage structure to accomodate them. There aren't many at Newcastle and you get a fair idea of who they are by the calibre of club interested in buying them. Enrique by dint of commanding a significant fee from a club like Liverpool is the obvious one. Coloccini I think we could keep within our current wage structure as he's not massively rated by other premier clubs so there'll be less demand. Barton and Nolan don't even come into the equation. They had their chance and they blew it.

Sounds like you have s*** mates.

I do man! I do  :weep:

The sad twats canceled the weekly 5-a-side to see what team "King Kenny" would put out against Valerenga ffs!! Did the same last week to watch Galatasaray. Felt a sense of retribution when the c***s looked mediocre and didn't win. Absolute knackers the lot of them.

The wage cap is killing us.. either up it or get rid of it.

You're crazy, it's the other way around..The wages are killing us..When the club already is  using 80-90 % of its turnover on wages, it's lunacy to remove the wage cap.

Are we planning on being in the Championship regularly then? The wage bill is currently in the 50-60% range which will be one of the lowest in the league, only higher than some of those at the very top with massive revenues (Arsenal, Man U), or newly promoted teams who half expect to go down again.

So is our current wage bill 50-60% or 80-90% of turnover?

According to the guardian it was 90%. But that was DURING (after getting rid of Owen etc) championship season and did not factor in our increased current revenues.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/30/newcastle-united-loss-relegation

We have trimmed some expensive flesh, but still got Xisco and Smith left. And Mav, Cabaye and Ba is on solid money too..So I don't think we're down to 50-60..Although that's purely speculation :)

I've posted it before, but this year's TV money would have covered the entire Championship wage bill on its own, before any other income.

Who have we brought in since then on huge money or who hasn't been at least offset against others leaving?

I've posted it before, but this year's TV money would have covered the entire Championship wage bill on its own, before any other income.

Who have we brought in since then on huge money or who hasn't been at least offset against others leaving?

Nobody, but that wouldn't suit the 'board can do no wrong' camp.

Guest Roger Kint

Nobody, but that wouldn't suit the 'board can do no wrong' camp.

Who is in this camp?

More than there should be.

Well name them then, it should be easy for you