José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Makes you wonder if Joe Kinnear was some kind of secret agent employed to oversee our demise. Thankfully he had a heart attack before he could sell Enrique.

Just had a vision of him dialling a number to complete the transfer and then keeling over before he can answer, whilst a voice cries "hello? hello! HELLO!" on the end of the phone. :lol:

Makes you wonder if Joe Kinnear was some kind of secret agent employed to oversee our demise. Thankfully he had a heart attack before he could sell Enrique.

Just had a vision of him dialling a number to complete the transfer and then keeling over before he can answer, whilst a voice cries "hello? hello! HELLO!" on the end of the phone. :lol:

It would've been like the scene in Alan Partridge where the BBC guy dies before he signs off on the second series.

In that band below Cole and Evra with Kolarov, Clichy and possibly old man Baines.

Baines? You taking the piss?

Canny player IMO.

I forgot about Baines. Agreed. A very good left back.

Well, he's alright, rate Enrique a lot higher. Possibly biased...

Cole and Evra are more complete LBs because they contribute in attack, but defensively, Jose is on a par with any left back in the world. I know that sounds like an exaggeration but there hasn't been a right winger who's had the better of him since he signed for us, and that includes the likes of Lennon, Valencia and other pacy/strong players who he's come up against.

Cole and Evra are more complete LBs because they contribute in attack, but defensively, Jose is on a par with any left back in the world. I know that sounds like an exaggeration but there hasn't been a right winger who's had the better of him since he signed for us, and that includes the likes of Lennon, Valencia and other pacy/strong players who he's come up against.

Have you forgotten how pathetic he was in his first season?  Also, you're saying he does not contribute to the attack? Strange post.

I have far too much love for Jose. I know "I would say that" but I have always thought he was a quality player. I did go through a preiod where I was concerned about him "funny moments" where he would randomly just boot the ball out of play when attempting a pass but love the bloke.

He is the one player in our squad I would be devastated if we sold and it's been a long time since I have felt that. Even players like Bassong and Milner I thought the price was too good to turn down but I don't think any price would be good enough for me to think it's fair enough (not saying he is worth £50m or whatever, just I wouldn't want to sell him for any amount).

As I said, I have far too much love for them man :lol:

Have you forgotten how pathetic he was in his first season?  Also, you're saying he does not contribute to the attack? Strange post.

He was poor for the sum total of about six games after he first arrived.

Enrique was far from pathetic in his first season. Only Sky bandwagon jumpers think that.

Agreed. His defending was good but his passing was woeful, but he was still a good LB, which made the Allardyce decision not to play him very surprising. He had shown great potential anyway and I've always thought that he was a quality player; an absolute beast in defence.

Guest firetotheworks

No one has forgotten, because he was never pathetic, nor anywhere near it. He took a few games to settle, which were spread over a number of months because Fat Sam was reluctant to play him.

Guest neesy111

No one has forgotten, because he was never pathetic, nor anywhere near it. He took a few games to settle, which were spread over a number of months because Fat Sam was reluctant to play him.

allardyce was a cunt to him, and many others in the team

:facepalm:

I like his quality being recognised, I think it can only be a good thing if we're going to go anywhere as a club. All hinges upon the fact I think he genuinely does mean what he says about loving the place and wanting to take us up with him.

Sorry guys, I'm no sky band wagon jumper but Enrique was poor in most departments apart from potential in the first year.   Most worryingly as I remeber was his lack of strength.  To say otherwise is delusional. 

He's always been strong as an ox. His passing was much more suspect but along with Bassong he was our best player in the relegation season.

Sorry guys, I'm no sky band wagon jumper but Enrique was poor in most departments apart from potential in the first year.   Most worryingly as I remeber was his lack of strength.  To say otherwise is delusional. 

Nah, it's not delusional, it's a matter of opinion.

FWIW I never criticised Enrique, he wasn't as good as he is now but he never deserved much stick.

Guest firetotheworks

Wasn't he dropped alot too? I seem to remember Zoggy playing at LB for a while because Allardyce refused to play  Jose, despite buying him :lol:

He bought him, he had a nightmare against Liverpool (first Premier League start IIRC) and got dropped. Then Keegan came in and he turned out to be f***ing immense.

He didn't really have a nightmare, he was in his stray passes in-field phase then, though. He got dropped, but whenever he did play he looked much better than NZogbia there. Keegan didn't play him for a while either.

He's always been strong as an ox. His passing was much more suspect but along with Bassong he was our best player in the relegation season.

He was brushed off the ball very easily for a number of games, there was a reason why he got his  reputation. 

Nah, it's not delusional, it's a matter of opinion.

FWIW I never criticised Enrique, he wasn't as good as he is now but he never deserved much stick.

It was never his fault granted, just people on here removing it from history when there was a point where it looked like he was going to flop big time.  That's where the stick came from, only its carried on into the two seasons since then when he has become our best player IMO.