Setanta - AVOID

MidfieldGeneral

I'm sorry for starting a new thread on Setanta Sports when there is already at least 1 thread about them on the go.

The reason I have done so is because personally I think they are a shower of shite and I wanted to warn anyone who isn't already a customer (or is for that matter), and may be planning to become one before the season kicks off next week, how crap they are.

I have already said on here that when I signed up last week the idiot who took my call was a complete moron who didn't have a clue what he was doing and kept me on the phone for the best part of 40mins.

Said idiot told me that they wouldn't take payment until 14 days after I was switched on, which would be this Thursday, August 9th.

The money was taken out of my account 6 days after and because I use a seperate account for all my direct debits where the exact money to cover the cost of my bills is all that's ever in there, I have now had a payment returned for insufficient funds and have incurred charges off the company in question and the bank.

I've tried now for 2 days to get through to someone at there customer services but cannot. It's ok if I want to become a new customer, there is more than sufficient staff to take them calls but unfortuntaly not if you are an existing customer.

I've tried speaking to someone in there sales department but they do not have access to existing customers details and all they can advise me to do is keep ringing the customer service number.

So for any would be/current customers here's some advice

1. They will try and charge you a connection fee. They charged me one but since then I've discovered numerous other people off the various message boards I use were not charged one.

2. Make sure you have sufficient funds in the bank to cover whatever they are charging you from the day you sign up.

3. If the weather outside is shite, the signal is that weak that you will have severe viewing problems. It's the summer now and I'd hate to see what it'll be like trying to watch anything they are screening in the Autumn/Winter/Spring if the signal is not boosted by then.

4. As far as I'm aware you have to cancel your account 30 days in advance if you wanting rid of it. If your gonna do this I'd suggest you start ringing them 40 days in advance because there is certainly no quick way of getting through to there understaffed and appauling customer services.

and finally

5. If you only intend to have it switched off for one month it is not worth it, as I said last week you will recieve a connection fee of £10.00 everytime you ring to have there channels put back on.

I'm sorry for starting a new thread on Setanta Sports when there is already at least 1 thread about them on the go.

The reason I have done so is because personally I think they are a shower of shite and I wanted to warn anyone who isn't already a customer (or is for that matter), and may be planning to become one before the season kicks off next week, how crap they are.

I have already said on here that when I signed up last week the idiot who took my call was a complete moron who didn't have a clue what he was doing and kept me on the phone for the best part of 40mins.

Said idiot told me that they wouldn't take payment until 14 days after I was switched on, which would be this Thursday, August 9th.

The money was taken out of my account 6 days after and because I use a seperate account for all my direct debits where the exact money to cover the cost of my bills is all that's ever in there, I have now had a payment returned for insufficient funds and have incurred charges off the company in question and the bank.

I've tried now for 2 days to get through to someone at there customer services but cannot. It's ok if I want to become a new customer, there is more than sufficient staff to take them calls but unfortuntaly not if you are an existing customer.

I've tried speaking to someone in there sales department but they do not have access to existing customers details and all they can advise me to do is keep ringing the customer service number.

So for any would be/current customers here's some advice

1. They will try and charge you a connection fee. They charged me one but since then I've discovered numerous other people off the various message boards I use were not charged one.

2. Make sure you have sufficient funds in the bank to cover whatever they are charging you from the day you sign up.

3. If the weather outside is shite, the signal is that weak that you will have severe viewing problems. It's the summer now and I'd hate to see what it'll be like trying to watch anything they are screening in the Autumn/Winter/Spring if the signal is not boosted by then.

4. As far as I'm aware you have to cancel your account 30 days in advance if you wanting rid of it. If your gonna do this I'd suggest you start ringing them 40 days in advance because there is certainly no quick way of getting through to there understaffed and appauling customer services.

and finally

5. If you only intend to have it switched off for one month it is not worth it, as I said last week you will recieve a connection fee of £10.00 everytime you ring to have there channels put back on.

I've heard the service is utter quality.

I'd no problems getting connected with them tbh.

Given that I'll get to watch our games with Bolton and Middlesbrough on Setanta in the coming weeks, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. They also have the Villa game on, though I'll be at that one in person. :D

I've never had any of the problems with them people bang on about.

There's more footy on Setanta than Sky and that's all i want, jizz all over Andy Gray and Sky Super Sunday if you like.

Guest Novocastrian

Took me about 2 mins to order it online, 15 mins later it was on.

No problems with it, watched a few pre-season games already, quite satisfied with the service. I'd rather not have to pay an extra 10 quid on top of my Sky Sports subscription but I want to watch the Premiership and a tenner isn't going to break the bank.

At £100 it's costing twice as much as Prem Plus used to for the Premier League games. I suppose you get other sports though, and this might swing me.

That would mean I'm paying £53.50/month for telly. :(

How does it apply if you have Multi-Room?

That's the other thing with them, their website is utterly useless. Doesn't answer questions like this, and contradicts itself in places (T&Cs say there is a minimum contract).

The way I look at it is anything I spend on SKY/Setanta is entertainment, it's a meal out or a few pints in the pub a couple of times a month and a taxi home, so it's worth it in my book but I do see what you mean about the difference in price with Premiership Plus.

I got a 16 year old the first time I phoned Setanta, she sniffed throughout the call said eh a lot and I thought this will be a miracle if it works - I nearly asked her if she needed to borrow somebody's hankie. She took my details and that was that - result. A week after Setanta went off altogether, I phoned again, got a really nice woman who said "I can't understand it, your bank details have disappeared altogether". I didn't say well I'm not surprised at all, I said mmm wondered how that happened? She said I really don't know, but you're the second person in a row it's happened to!

Anyway all is well now. Roll on next Saturday. BTW our game v Bolton  is being covered live by Talksport - ful commentary.

How does it apply if you have Multi-Room?

That's the other thing with them, their website is utterly useless. Doesn't answer questions like this, and contradicts itself in places (T&Cs say there is a minimum contract).

I'm having a go now Dave mate and it appears that it asks for your Viewing card number so will no doubt only be applicable for the box you're using.

When I was subscribing I got through to the most unhelpful fella ever.

Me : How can I actually get coonected?

Him : You can do it online or over the phone

Me: Oh right, can I do it over the phone then?

Him: Yes

*Awkward Silence*

Me: ... is that not what you're here for then?

Ended up hanging up not long afterwards, then off to my computer to try and do it online.

Guest toonlass

I have just spoken to someone at Setanta and got through with no problems, and the lass I spoke to was really helpful. Different people experience different things. I have no picture quality problems at all, and there is a damn sight more football on Setanta then on the Sky sports channels. I think for the price each month(9.99) its not bad at all.

Although I'm not a fan I'm sure for someone like Shak who loves golf it will more than cover itself.  :idiot2:

Golf > Jonny2J

Also those of us living in Ireland get a 3Pm kick-off game live as well every Saturday, staring with Bolton v Newcastle next weekend. :D

Guest tyzer

I signed up through their website just before the celtic friendly, and i was switched on within a few minutes. I got charged a connection fee, but i knew that would happen. So for £9.99 i'm going to get 4 newcastle friendlies and 2 premiership games, which i think is great value. No problems from me here. Why did i bother writing this? well you always here the bad things about companies and not very often the positive times, and i've had no problems at all.