Today's Games

Tooj

Guest Triglett

Derbyshire has started games for Blackburn, he just looks nowhere near as effective as when he's coming off the bench. I think he'll be content with his super sub status, as long as he's scoring goals. Scrawny as fuck though.

I do find it a little odd how people have got completely carried away with the first day. Not only about Spurs (we were similarly awful at the start of last season, picking up 4 points from an available 18, yet finished the season in 5th and scored well over 100 goals), but yourselves, City, Blackburn, even Sunderland...usually seems to have a tenuous factual relevance to the relegation and title candidates, but in the main, it's a completely useless exercise in gauging how successful a team will be over the coming season. Then again, your team's just won and mine's lost, so perhaps we're bound to see things in a different light...

Ashley Young stood out amongst the mediocrity.

Craig Gardener, Barry, Taylor (I can't believe I've said that) and Young were our best players today. Otherwise we were mediocre. Liverpool wasted a lot of chances, they won't win the league until they consistently put away chances like that. On today's showing, Man United would have had 4. That is the difference.

Oh, and Mike Riley put in the worst refereeing performance I've seen in years. Not sending Pennant off, giving that absurd free kick purely because Gerrard wanted it, he is a fucking cunt of the highest order.

If we sign Bosingwa and Curtis Davies this week, I will return to being very optimistic.

EDIT incidentally, Liverpool fans are fucking 1980s throwbacks, saw loads of trouble after the game today, and apparently it was going off around the ground during the match, as well. They want to get a fucking grip.

Derbyshire has started games for Blackburn, he just looks nowhere near as effective as when he's coming off the bench. I think he'll be content with his super sub status, as long as he's scoring goals. Scrawny as fuck though.

I do find it a little odd how people have got completely carried away with the first day. Not only about Spurs (we were similarly awful at the start of last season, picking up 4 points from an available 18, yet finished the season in 5th and scored well over 100 goals), but yourselves, City, Blackburn, even Sunderland...usually seems to have a tenuous factual relevance to the relegation and title candidates, but in the main, it's a completely useless exercise in gauging how successful a team will be over the coming season. Then again, your team's just won and mine's lost, so perhaps we're bound to see things in a different light...

Think we're more happy at winning away from home. It's rare enough as it is, never mind first day, at the Reebok and very comfortably.

Derbyshire's goal was class.

Did anyone spot the ex-apprentice contestent Adam Hosker celebrating in the crowd when that goal went in?  :lol:

Big rovers fan apparently, has been hanging around them ever since he got fired!

Derbyshire has started games for Blackburn, he just looks nowhere near as effective as when he's coming off the bench. I think he'll be content with his super sub status, as long as he's scoring goals. Scrawny as f*** though.

It tends to be the case that when a team (or player) is overrated by the press, people react to that by underrating them. I think a lot of people feel Spurs are a canny good top 6 side who are only being touted for the top 4 because of the money they've spent, rather than the actual players they've bought. Today doesn't show how the season will pan out, but it shows that Spurs can and will drop points on the road, even to weak teams, because they haven't got the depth to cover a couple of injuries in key positions. I don't consider Spurs to be significantly ahead of the rest of the 'chasing pack' but I do think they're a decent side and I'm confident they'll finish in the top 7.

Craig Gardener, Barry, Taylor (I can't believe I've said that) and Young were our best players today. Otherwise we were mediocre. Liverpool wasted a lot of chances, they won't win the league until they consistently put away chances like that. On today's showing, Man United would have had 4. That is the difference.

Oh, and Mike Riley put in the worst refereeing performance I've seen in years. Not sending Pennant off, giving that absurd free kick purely because Gerrard wanted it, he is a f****** c*** of the highest order.

If we sign Bosingwa and Curtis Davies this week, I will return to being very optimistic.

EDIT incidentally, Liverpool fans are f****** 1980s throwbacks, saw loads of trouble after the game today, and apparently it was going off around the ground during the match, as well. They want to get a f****** grip.

Watched the game, mate and what I couldn't understand is that you were toothless in attack for 75mins.  Then the urgency set's in and you look a different side.  Opening day jitters, I assume and a squad that hasn't settled.  Plus Liverpool are a good side.  ;)

And yes, from a total refereeing standpoint, Mike Riley was shit.  Disrupted the flow of the game numerous times. 

Oh, and Mike Riley put in the worst refereeing performance I've seen in years. Not sending Pennant off, giving that absurd free kick purely because Gerrard wanted it, he is a f****** c*** of the highest order.

EDIT incidentally, Liverpool fans are f****** 1980s throwbacks, saw loads of trouble after the game today, and apparently it was going off around the ground during the match, as well. They want to get a f****** grip.

Watched the game, mate and what I couldn't understand is that you were toothless in attack for 75mins.  Then the urgency set's in and you look a different side.  Opening day jitters, I assume and a squad that hasn't settled.  Plus Liverpool are a good side.  ;)

And yes, from a total refereeing standpoint, Mike Riley was shit.  Disrupted the flow of the game numerous times. 

We gifted them midfield, what was the main problem. Just let them get on with it.

Guest firetotheworks

And yes, from a total refereeing standpoint, Mike Riley was s***.  Disrupted the flow of the game numerous times. 

We gifted them midfield, what was the main problem. Just let them get on with it.

What did you make of Reo Coker Brummie? He seemed quite one dimensional to me. Receiving a pass and then passing it to the right wing was all I really saw him do. Surprised you didnt throw Harewood in towards the end as well. Gerrards free kick wasnt a freekick like but the goal was awesome. He'll be dishing that out on the rest of us, you're not alone.

I have to say that the first game of the season confirmed my belief that Spurs would have done much better spending £16m on midfield than attack. Bent is class but Spurs fielded 4 wank to mediocre central mfs today, they've got lennon but they need wingers and a class cm if they're ever going to challange for 4th. I really rate the spuds as a team but they need to sort out their midfield if they're ever going to be a 'serious' team.

And yes, from a total refereeing standpoint, Mike Riley was s***.  Disrupted the flow of the game numerous times. 

What did you make of Reo Coker Brummie? He seemed quite one dimensional to me. Receiving a pass and then passing it to the right wing was all I really saw him do. Surprised you didnt throw Harewood in towards the end as well. Gerrards free kick wasnt a freekick like but the goal was awesome. He'll be dishing that out on the rest of us, you're not alone.

When we played Inter last week, NRC was exceptional, did the simple stuff, broke up play, played nice short passes, was really very good.

Today he was very poor, just not there. We really did gift them midfield, although I suspect the problem may actually be Petrov. Gardener at emergency right back has 10 times the commitment of Petrov, is a local lad who just oozes pride to wear the shirt, a very promising player, and capable of scoring the odd exceptional goal (Bolton last season), but there he is shovelled in at right back when he should be in midfield. Disappointing.

Interesting point of today was that i saw more aggro at a ground than I've seen in the best part of 20 years, I reckon. A proper throwback.

It wasn't a free-kick, Villa were hard done by there. Inch perfect from Gerrard though, brilliant free kick.

You are right, it wasn't a free kick, and Riley gave them almost everything, but on the other hand, they did deserve to win.

I have to say that the first game of the season confirmed my belief that Spurs would have done much better spending £16m on midfield than attack. Bent is class but Spurs fielded 4 w*** to mediocre central mfs today, they've got lennon but they need wingers and a class cm if they're ever going to challange for 4th. I really rate the spuds as a team but they need to sort out their midfield if they're ever going to be a 'serious' team.

Bent will do alright and get them a fair few goals, but I reckon most the goals he'll get will be ones Keane, Berbatov or Defoe could score anyway. I think you're right there, Spurs would have been much better off putting that money into their engine room, which was in bigger need of improvement.

When we played Inter last week, NRC was exceptional, did the simple stuff, broke up play, played nice short passes, was really very good.

Today he was very poor, just not there. We really did gift them midfield, although I suspect the problem may actually be Petrov. Gardener at emergency right back has 10 times the commitment of Petrov, is a local lad who just oozes pride to wear the shirt, a very promising player, and capable of scoring the odd exceptional goal (Bolton last season), but there he is shovelled in at right back when he should be in midfield. Disappointing.

Interesting point of today was that i saw more aggro at a ground than I've seen in the best part of 20 years, I reckon. A proper throwback.

Carew's service was shocking, I didn't realize he was on the pitch until the 80th minute.  Get the ball to him and things happen, simple as. 

Guest king harry

Yes there was a lot of trouble yesterday, i went on the train with a load of our lads, and inside the ground, we watched while a lot of our younger lads between 18 and 21 were kicking off, they have been doing it a lot, think they wanna make a reputation for themselves.

After the match we were walking back, there was about 40 of us but we were spread out about a 100 metres, then about 20 villa came up and said we have just been done of some scousers and we are going to do you in return. There were about 12 of us, within seconds, the other 30 of our lot caught up, and the villa lad who said it, just said, o didnt realise you were all together, as we were all older lads, we just let them walk away.

It wasn't a free-kick, Villa were hard done by there. Inch perfect from Gerrard though, brilliant free kick.

You are right, it wasn't a free kick, and Riley gave them almost everything, but on the other hand, they did deserve to win.

I have noticed that Gerrard has started to referee games for himself.

Remember that pen against Sheff Utd this time last  year? Yesterday's goal against Villa and countless free kicks that came to nothing.

Guest king harry

haha johnston wins more penaltys than gerrard does free kicks.

Defintly wasnt a free kick though, bit of a cunt riley, think he wants to take over from poll as the ref to make the headlines.

Why did he book reina, all he did was step forward and say the ball isnt on the spot proper, which it wasnt.

haha johnston wins more penaltys than gerrard does free kicks.

Defintly wasnt a free kick though, bit of a c*** riley, think he wants to take over from poll as the ref to make the headlines.

Why did he book reina, all he did was step forward and say the ball isnt on the spot proper, which it wasnt.

MoJo? He's retired mate

Arsenal starting line up:

Sanga..Toure..Gallas..Clichy

Eboue..Fabre..Flamini.Rosicky

............Hleb........................

...................V.Persie............

Eboue will be fine right wing. Hleb is yet to show he is good enough for me..

I have noticed that Gerrard has started to referee games for himself.

Remember that pen against Sheff Utd this time last  year? Yesterday's goal against Villa and countless free kicks that came to nothing.

Got to be an early candidate for worst referee performance.

Guest LucaAltieri

Arsenal 0 - 1 Fulham (Healy)

:lol:

Wow.

Haha... class... back pass to the keeper... keeper kicks it straight at Healy whos running in... 1-0 down after 54 seconds.

They'll still win mind.

Arsenal starting line up:

Sanga..Toure..Gallas..Clichy

Eboue..Fabre..Flamini.Rosicky

............Hleb........................

...................V.Persie............

Eboue will be fine right wing. Hleb is yet to show he is good enough for me..

Hleb has looked shit hot in pre-season now that they're playing him in the middle