How can we fit in the new players who didn't played last night?

Guest niina

Last night we played very good, almost every of our players deserve their place (except Carr probably  :crazy2:, or Harper when Given is back). But we have new players (and also old players) who didn't yet play, are they deserve to get automatic place in the starting eleven (assume we play 4-3-3 like last night) ?

- Joey Barton, he is in the same position with Alan Smith who play very good last night. What do you think, whether he will be straight into the team, and who will he gonna replace (Smith, Geremi, Butt)? Probably Smith with Smith is move upfront, but will Smith get a place in the starting eleven upfront?

- Jose Enrique, he is given no. 3 shirt, which meant to be our 1st choice left back, but last night N'Zogbia was good and also grab the goal. Probably Enrique will be in the left back with N'Zogbia in the midfield, but will N'Zogbia get a place in the starting eleven in the midfield?

- Claudio Cacapa, are we buy the captain of 5 times French League champion only for a place on the bench? Because Taylor-Rozehnal are solid last night. Or a little bit of rotation like in Chelsea?

- Michael Owen, who will he gonna replace, Martins or Milner?

Discuss

Guest unrealterrorist

Last night we played very good, almost every of our players deserve their place (except Carr probably :crazy2:, or Harper when Given is back). But we have new players (and also old players) who didn't yet play, are they deserve to get automatic place in the starting eleven (assume we play 4-3-3 like last night) ?

- Joey Barton, he is in the same position with Alan Smith who play very good last night. What do you think, whether he will be straight into the team, and who will he gonna replace (Smith, Geremi, Butt)? Probably Smith with Smith is move upfront, but will Smith get a place in the starting eleven upfront?

- Jose Enrique, he is given no. 3 shirt, which meant to be our 1st choice left back, but last night N'Zogbia was good and also grab the goal. Probably Enrique will be in the left back with N'Zogbia in the midfield, but will N'Zogbia get a place in the starting eleven in the midfield?

- Claudio Cacapa, are we buy the captain of 5 times French League champion only for a place on the bench? Because Taylor-Rozehnal are solid last night. Or a little bit of rotation like in Chelsea?

Discuss

Injurys will sort that out dont worry remember which club you support.

When Jose Enrique gets to match fitness... zoggy wont be playing at left back but further up the park.

Zoggy would have a very similar role to james milner playing on either side of the front three and can drop back to form a 5 man midfield when we need to

Joey Barton coming into the team can see alan smith push up front (although he looked VERY solid with geremi and butt last night)

Duff luque and owen would be great cover for any of our attackers. Especially with the pace of duff martins and owen which would be exploited on the sides of the front three while viduka luque and ameobi in the middle.

Im really liking this 4-3-3 were playing right now.

Geremi moved to right back when Barton is fit.

And then Carr moves back into the team when Geremi p!sses off to the ANC for a month in Jan, great, fu<king great!

Given

Carr      Rohenhal                        Taylor            Enrique

Geremi

Smith                    Barton

Owen        Viduka        Martins

I think maybe that team at home, but your guess is as good as mine for away because I can't see Sam playing that team against the top teams.

Guest Gemmill

Geremi moved to right back when Barton is fit.

We will lose a ton if we move Geremi to right back.  He is a class act in midfield.

Given

Carr       Rohenhal                         Taylor            Enrique

Geremi

Smith                    Barton

Owen         Viduka        Martins

I think maybe that team at home, but your guess is as good as mine for away because I can't see Sam playing that team against the top teams.

I cant see milner being dropped

Last night we played very good, almost every of our players deserve their place (except Carr probably  :crazy2:, or Harper when Given is back). But we have new players (and also old players) who didn't yet play, are they deserve to get automatic place in the starting eleven (assume we play 4-3-3 like last night) ?

Discuss

We should not be thinking "team" (ie, 11 players).

We should not even be thinking "team and five subs" either.

We should only be thinking about having a very large squad of (only) quality (first-choice players, if they were at other clubs) types of player.

They play when picked and they play where they are told to. I do not see this as a problem, it is how it should be at a club like ours. So, we do not need to concern ourselves about where Sam will "fit in" (as you put it) ANY of our first team squad, into any given team and subs bench.

.............................Given.................................

Ron..............Roz.............Tayls............Enrique

..................Barton.......Smith..........................

............................Zog....................................

Martins..................................................Milner

............................Duke..................................

The only way I could fit them in! I don't like it too much though. Prefer to have Butt or Geremi in midfield..

With regards to the central midfield, our options are:

Barton - box to box all around player, good technical ability, goals from midfield.

Geremi - leader, strong, and consistently good at everything he does.

Smith - battler with high effort and work rates, solid technique.

Emre - playmaker with good work rate, good technical ability.

Butt - Strong defensive midfielder, great at covering the defence.

What an excellent midfield selection we have, the best by far in a long time in terms of depth and variety. Every one of those players brings something different to the table, all of them adequate at Premiership level at the very least.

I hope Allardyce will be picking the right team for the right match, as opposed to having a set first team selection. For example, against a weaker team at St James', we should go for the better attacking players who have more ability on the ball, maybe a midfield 3 of Emre Geremi Barton, whereas away from home or against stronger sides, a midfield selection that includes Smith and/or Butt would be alot better.

Owen needs to be benched and rotated. Treat him the same way Madrid did, a bench player with starts here and there, because thats the best way to keep him fit whilst still making good use of him.

I'm sure Allardyce has been working on formations and systems in training in anticipation of having his perceived 'best' players available. He won't just wonder what to do once they are back. I agree that few deserve just to walk back into the side though.

Guest Phil K

rather have players fighting for their place than walking into the team

We've had too much of that over the past 10 seasons.

I'm sure Allardyce has been working on formations and systems in training in anticipation of having his perceived 'best' players available. He won't just wonder what to do once they are back. I agree that few deserve just to walk back into the side though.

Its hillarious in comparison to last year with Roed's 4-4-2 at all times and only my favourites play tactic. :lol:

The only real problem I saw with our team yesterday was a lack of good playmakers in the team. Playing Smith, Geremi and Butt in midfield makes you hard to break down and while all of them are decent passers of the ball, none of them truly stand out in that department (even though I havnt seen enough of Geremi to pass judgement of him). Also with Martins as right winger/forward might not be the best for a fluid passing game.

All in all, looking of what might be the fundations of a great team, I personally think 4-3-3 is the way to go, but what I think we should ge into the side is better passers of the ball. Replacing Butt down the line with a playmaker and Smith as the holding midfielder, adding perhaps a better rightback with some skill in that could go some way. In the second half we really could have profited from having the ability to play a bit of a barca style, keeping the ball in the team etc.

The hardest job a manager has is keeping a full squad of top players happy, you cannot pick them all and just have to select the best starting 11 you have available, for me as soon as Cacapa and Enriqye are fit Sam will use them both with Ccapa at RB and Enrique at LB, that will mean dropping Carr and moving Zoggy to wide left with Milner wide right, will more than likely see Butt dropped and Geremi and Smith in the middle.

Guest Stephen927

I'm sure Sam will relish having so many options. The team will change depending on what we're up against, and I think it's fantastic that for the first time in a while we have the options to be able to have several options for our first 11.