Carling Cup 2nd Round - Newcastle vs Barnsley (29/08/07)

Guest Geordiesned

Fucking hell, it's a pretty shite state of affairs if we're even concerned about getting past Barnsley at home ffs. :hmm:

There's a depressing history of us struggling against lower-league opposition, though. I mean, we usually win, but we rarely dismantle them.

Crowd predictions then? What team will Big Sam put out?

Can see this being the sort of game where he "beds in" the likes of Caçapa and Enrique, giving them their first start/first full match.

Fucking hell, it's a pretty shite state of affairs if we're even concerned about getting past Barnsley at home ffs. :hmm:

There's a depressing history of us struggling against lower-league opposition, though. I mean, we usually win, but we rarely dismantle them.

Not saying it's a forgone conclusion but surely we're not frightened of facing Barnsley at home, are we?  :-X

Not saying it's a forgone conclusion but surely we're not frightened of facing Barnsley at home, are we?  :-X

Shouldn't be, no. I'm not. But I also remember home defeats to Birmingham and Blackburn when they were in Division One, and I still shake my fist at Stevenage every time I pass it on the train.

Shouldn't be, no. I'm not. But I also remember home defeats to Birmingham and Blackburn when they were in Division One, and I still shake my fist at Stevenage every time I pass it on the train.

I'm still trying to erase the word Stevenage from my memory bank!  :lol:

Aye, we've struggled with the odd tie every now and again but I think we'll demolish them if we put out a strongish side tbh. Can't see many bookies taking much money on Barnsley at all and I'll stick my neck out and say we'll win this one comfortably.

Aye, we've struggled with the odd tie every now and again but I think we'll demolish them if we put out a strongish side tbh. Can't see many bookies taking much money on Barnsley at all and I'll stick my neck out and say we'll win this one comfortably.

I'm sure you're right.

For some reason I've got more confidence in Allardyce than our last several managers -- including Bobby -- for when it comes to polishing off games like this.

I'm sure you're right.

For some reason I've got more confidence in Allardyce than our last several managers -- including Bobby -- for when it comes to polishing off games like this.

That's what I mean. He'll take it seriously and I think we'll just roll over them. Under Roeder or Souness, I wouldn't be anywhere near as confident but I think we'll cruise it.

We'll see in time I suppose and I'm sure they'll make it as difficult as they can but if we score early we could get 4 or 5 imo. It's an excellent draw for us.  :thup:

Fucking delighted with this!!

When it comes to cup draws I always have four options: Sunderland, Tottenham, Preston and Barnsley because I have family who support all four of them (big family). My little cousin down there in Yorkshire is Barnsley daft and has a season ticket with his Dad, just saw them up here for the Sunderland/Juventus match and was saying how I hope we draw them up here in the cup sometime so the laddy can come and see the ground from the inside and during a match. Took him around it last summer, before the tours came into full effect. Perfect excuse to buy him a full Newcastle kit now, because he's already been had by the Sunderland members of my 'clan' after his SOS visit.

Fantastic news, I'm chuffed, both family-wise and football-wise.

Guest WalkervilleMag

hopfully this new board, will be more realistic regarding ticket prices.  no £20 tickets please.  £5 for adults, £2 for kids would guarentee a very good crowd for league 1 opposition.  throw into that  the new signings will propbably start this game, along with probably Owen.

hopfully this new board, will be more realistic regarding ticket prices.  no £20 tickets please.  £5 for adults, £2 for kids would guarentee a very good crowd for league 1 opposition.  throw into that  the new signings will propbably start this game, along with probably Owen.

Yeah hopefully they'll come up with some decent pricing.  fingers crossed.

I think this game could see Enrique, Cacapa and any other new signings (Faye?) getting their first starts for us.

I don't see them getting a start tomorrow or away to Boro (barring injuries), so this game seems like a perfect opportunity for them to get off to a winning start, a very winnable game shall we say at home, followed by another home fixture to Wigan. Seems like the perfect time, they should be around full fitness by then.

Guest dreamboy3000
a very good crowd for league 1 opposition.

We are in the championship mate.

if Barnsley bring a couple of thousand up for their biggest game of the season

If you think a match in the Mickey Mouse cup is going to be bigger than our relegation battle, you are deluded.