Newcastle United 0-0 Aston Villa - 18/08/07 - Post Match reaction from Page 12

James

I didn't like the constant long throws into the box btw. A bit cheap, and once we figured out Villa were comfortable with the ball in the air like that we shouldn't have carried on doing it.

I wonder if his focus these first few weeks is the defence. Actually, I'm sure it is. How many of our previous managers have said the first thing is to get the defence sorted and work from there? If we can become difficult to beat we can build on that.

I wonder if his focus these first few weeks is the defence. Actually, I'm sure it is. How many of our previous managers have said the first thing is to get the defence sorted and work from there? If we can become difficult to beat we can build on that.

that is a positive, but we shouldn't discount improving our attack. some of the quotes coming out from allardyce and mort suggest they see all our problems in the defence, and that the midfield and attack don't need any more improving. last season tho, with worse individual defenders than bolton, we conceded less goals than them. our problem was attacking, and that problem still hasn't been solved despite the return of owen and the purchase of viduka.

We need to become difficult to beat and I think we are working on it, if we can get that right then we can look to become more adventurous.  Even in the second half against Bolton we looked resilient, we'd have drawn that game 3-3 last season or got beat 4-3.

I think we'll not see us at our best until next season although I'm not saying we should expect nothing this season.  Allardyce will get to know his players through working with them every day and seeing how they react to his tactics during games, then he'll know what weakness we have as a team and then he can do something about it.

that is a positive, but we shouldn't discount improving our attack. some of the quotes coming out from allardyce and mort suggest they see all our problems in the defence, and that the midfield and attack don't need any more improving. last season tho, with worse individual defenders than bolton, we conceded less goals than them. our problem was attacking, and that problem still hasn't been solved despite the return of owen and the purchase of viduka.

Our attack is as good as most but they'll do nothing without a supply of good passes to attack, I've got no doubt that Barton would have made a big difference yesterday, that said, we shouldn't rely on one player.

Sam said when he arrived at the club that his priority was the defence and to stop us from leaking goals, I think he has already gone some way towards addressing that problem.

Clean sheets brings confidence and I was quite happy with the result yesterday. Villa were extremely well organised and a lot of teams will struggle to break them down

I think you're giving too much credit to Villa saying the reason we couldn't break them down was because they were well organised, we couldn't break them down because none of the 3 centre midfielders we played could bring the ball forward, meaning they either passed it back or lumped it long up to Viduka, we also had little width to the side.

Anyone think that the reaction would have been much different if we had drawn 1-1 ?

I have a feeling that the lengthening period without a goal at home is causing the most unrest.

Once we get over that hurdle, I am hopeful the mood around SJP will change.

I think you're giving too much credit to Villa saying the reason we couldn't break them down was because they were well organised, we couldn't break them down because none of the 3 centre midfielders we played could bring the ball forward, meaning they either passed it back or lumped it long up to Viduka, we also had little width to the side.

To be fair to the three midfielders, there was no movement at all, nobody running into space. We didn't have any runners from midfield looking to get on the end of crosses, mind. All too easy for Villa.

Taylor was useless. Our worst player by far. Hopefully allardyce  will get it sorted and play rozehnal and capaca together or rozehnal and faye. Dont no how anyone can rate taylor highly. Hes an average defender that shouldnt be anywhere near our first team if we ever want to win anything.

Apart from his one comedy moment, can you give any examples to back that up? He was beaten in the air once or twice by Carew, but stood his ground. He was leading the defence yesterday, his positioning was excellent and he was playing it out along the ground, which is more than can be said for Rozehnal who was part of the problem with his long balls costing us possession and putting people under pressure. I thought Rozehnal "got away with it" a few times where he let players outmuscle him or get goal side of him, and he broke ranks once or twice as he got drawn towards the ball. I don't want to be too critical of him because he does have qualities, he's certainly quick, tall, seems to have a decent enough reading of the game and he's a calm head at the back, but as Sam alluded to before the Bolton game he can't afford to be doing these things in the Premiership because once managers are aware of his weaknesses they will look to expose him. Hopefully in time he'll get to grips with what the Premiership is all about, I think he has what it takes.

Getting back to Taylor, I thought he was very solid yesterday and certainly didn't look like a 21 year old in the heart of our defence. Very professional performance, barring his one 'moment'.

Look im sick of people bringing taylors age into it. Ignore his age as Micah Richards is a much better player than him even though hes 2 years younger. Things wrong with Taylor are:

1) Not quick enough- As shown when he got done all over by DJ Cambpell, (conference player). DJ Campbell is not a cpnference player.  I dont recall anyone anyone playing well if you're referring to the game against Brimingham.  And anyway, in sport, people are always faster than others.  So your point really doesnt make any sense at all

2) Hes a cheat- Handballs then faking injury. No need for it. Two years ago, and to be fair I think he's learnt from that mistake, bringing it up continually is just pathetic really

3) He gives stupid fouls away in dangerous areas- E.g. away to arsenal. henry running into the corner so taylor fouls him and they score from the resulting freekick. How about you mention the night he marked Henry out of the game at St James' aged 18.  Again though you are using an example that occurred how long ago....

4) He gave the ball away on numberous occasions- As shown yesterday. Once if i recall, compared to the dozens of times it was given away by some of his international colleagues

5) Can be dodgy- As shown yesterday when he fell over and gave the ball away at the back. This is the same point as number 4 surely, saying it twice doesn't make it more right

If Taylor wasnt from Newcastle (which he isn't) he wouldnt get bummed by the people that currently do on here. IMO he will be like players like Dawson, jenas, etc. where people make a big deal about them being the next up and coming england international and he will just turn out to be rubbish as dawson is and never good enough for england. the simple counter to that is to say that if Taylor wasn't from Newcastle he wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of stick he gets on here

I also think for a supposedly agressive 'all action' CB he lacks the mandatory strength I wouldnt claim to know for certain, but i'm sure he's probably one of the strongest players in our squad, and as he gets older he will no doubt get stronger

Put you right

I didn't like the constant long throws into the box btw. A bit cheap, and once we figured out Villa were comfortable with the ball in the air like that we shouldn't have carried on doing it.

The Long Throw was BS's main offensive threat during his Bolton tenure. I was hoping to God he wouldn't bring it over but he has. Oh well, I find myself fuckin' looking forward to them now, sadly.

Our attack is as good as most but they'll do nothing without a supply of good passes to attack, I've got no doubt that Barton would have made a big difference yesterday, that said, we shouldn't rely on one player.

yeah, that's basically what i meant. we've got enough people to put the ball in the back of the net but not enough to create chances.

Solid but distinct lack of pace and flair.

We will do well away from home with that type of football but more creativity is needed and two full backs are critical im my opinion - on the left to allow Zoggy to play in his best role and on the right to give some attacking support to Milner/an.other as Carr offers no attacking presence.

We will get better but I don't buy the fact that some folk are making the excuse that players haven't played together - hasn't stopped Man City for example.

Got to win our home games, that is the bread and butter for a good league place.

I'd like to see a return to the left wing for Zoggy when Enrique is ready. Looks dangerous again, just not a defender.

Dangerous at given the ball away cheaply every time he gets it!

I cant remember 1 outstanding thing he did all match! Our new Jenas at the moment tbh

He skinned a number of their players in the first half.

100% agree with Dave , we need Enrique playing so we can have Zoggy back on the wing.

He did do well going forward, but where as Carr will go all the way to the touchline, Zoggy seemed to stop when online with the 18 yard box and cut in or play it back, we need Carr not to over commit because he does not have the legs to get back, but with Zoggy he can push on higher up the pitch as he does have the legs and energy to make it back into position.

Villa were excellent at the back yesterday and came to draw/sneak a win. Am happy with the draw given the quality of the opposition. If you think Villa are shit then you know nothing about the game. Looked fitter than us too.

They had a gameplan and stuck to it. We lacked creativity in midfield, Geremi had a poor game compared to his recent performances.

I heard a boo behind me and turned round immediately and aired my thoughts. Had to explain that our best start to the prem for years and a clean sheet only warrants booing if you have are a thick twat. We really do have some utter wankers in our support.

Guest SeattleToon

As an American, I can tell you that Zoggy is a clone of DaMarcus Beasley...successfully gets through the first few guys, but because he dribbles with his head down, doesn't release the ball in time and gets dispossessed on the edge of the box. Can't tell you how many times it's happened to Beasley, and its excatly what happens to Zoggy. He will never reach his potential until he learn to pass the ball to the open player or space once his dribbling has pulled the defense out of shape. Beasley has never learned this, which is why he's no better a player now than he was in 2002.

On the atmosphere ... I was quite impressed with our support yesterday, came across pretty loud on the telly.Or was that because the mics were right in front of them?

The phenomenon of away fans making more noise than 15 times as many home fans happens at every ground in the country, btw.